Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

LeRoy Schmaltz Featured Artiest Feb 2013

Pages: 1 44 replies

I have been give the great honored to be chosen as featured artiest at The 53rd Annual Hillcrest Festival of Fine Arts the weekend of February 22nd-24th
Please come and join me as display OA Tiki, Modern-Tiki, assemblage, sculpture, paintings and more.

http://www.hillcrest-church.org
facebook.com/artfest.hliicrest

[ Edited by: Tiki Carver King 2013-02-11 10:13 ]

Can't keep us away Leroy!
David and CeCe

Congrats! Nice lookin' midcentury-mod building, Leroy:

O
Otto posted on Mon, Feb 11, 2013 8:15 PM

Go Leroy, congrats on your continued success!!

Aloha Leroy! Have a great show and take pics so us out of towners can see your beautiful work.

A well deserved honor Leroy, congratulations! I'll be a couple months late on my visit to California, really wish I could see this exhibit. Have a great show!

HT

I didn't know until now that you did non-tiki related art.
Very interesting!

Shame they don't have the featured artists online for those who can't make it.

Good luck!

That's within walking distance, I will be there.

Aloha, Just setting up for The Hillcrest Art Show- I'm so excited. I took about 4 truck loads of art pieces to set up for the show. I'm showing Oceania Arts things, some original Modern Tiki art that has shown in Palm Spring's Modern Tiki Show and several sculptures and paintings of some of my favorite subjects. Once you look around the campus and see all my art work(of corse all the other artiest too) Take a guess at how many pieces I entered :)

T

Can't wait. Leroy, please check your PM

T

I will be hosting a Happy Hour on Saturday, 02-23-13, from 5:00pm to 8:00pm honoring Leroy. He may attend if he can, no promises. I live 3/4 of a mile from Hillcrest, the site of the art show. If you plan on attending the art show, PM me for reservations and I will PM you my address.

Mahalo,

TikiVato

[ Edited by: TikiVato 2013-02-18 19:41 ]

S

Awwwww......wish i could go. :(

On 2013-02-18 18:52, swizzle wrote:
Awwwww......wish i could go. :(

Robbie, I will drink one for you. Wish you could be here too.
Cheers, David

Was outta town from Thursday last til last night so I was unaware Dave and Rebecca were gonna celebrate the Orchid's 12th anniversary this weekend . Leroy Shmaltz' Art in the afterenoon, happy hour honoring Leroy in in the early evening at Tikivato's Tiki Nui lounge, and finishing the night at the Purple Orchid. Bahooka's gonna have to wait til Sunday. Watta weekend.

On 2013-02-13 05:56, Hale Tiki wrote:
Very interesting!

Good luck!

HT I will post a pic of all of Leroy's pieces unless there's mo den 100.

My brother and I discussed the ingredients to a cucumber based rum cocktail drink for Leroy's Happy hour. Last night he came up with the right balance. On Saturday, PolyPop and Tiki Diablo will let us know if he did. Hope to have more TC'ers show up. See you at the art show.

Thanks for putting me on the spot. If the "Tiki Nui Cup" is a dud, you can take the credit.
Getting back on track- I am anxious to see Leroy's latest. Had a great time at Leroy's Whittier show last fall.

Is Leroy raffling any of his pieces this show?

T

Awesome show. Leroy has lots of items on display and some for sale. HB Tiki (Roger) was first to buy one of Leroy's original works. Great buy Roger.

leroy's art is awesome. Here's an art card and pix of two of my favorites from today's show. Many more to follow but right now i gotta nap.
cheers

Snuck over to this show this a.m. . Crazy!!! LeRoy has it packed to the gills with awesome abstract art/sculpture!! If you haven't gone already, go!!! Here are my 3 favorite pics out of many!!

Zoom in to the center of the pic

A remarkable man... great friend, legend!

iBuenos Suerte to LeRoy from Puerto Vallarta!! We wish we could be there for this show :)

Be there or be square! The breadth of Leroy's work at this show is amazing. Only on for one more day, tomorrow, Sunday, from 11:00 - 5:00. Revel in the artistic horn-of-plenty of the last active Tiki carver of the Golden age of Tiki!

There are not only his classic Marquesans, but Oceanic art of every origin and size...

...from crazy...

...to cool...

...and all under the roof of a great modernist church...

...with a Leroy-carved canoe in front of the altar:

(for tomorrow's 10:00 o'clock sermon)

The front foyer of the church shows some amazing pieces of Leroy's non-Tiki art..

Stuff that would look good in any modernist living room:

There are many more pieces to see here, PLUS, in the building next to the church...

...there is a whole nother gallery with Leroy's paintings and wall carvings!:

I even found a photo of the Moai which Leroy carved in my front yard in situ in 1993

I must say I was totally bowled over by the amount and quality of your work, Leroy!

Thank you for the eye candy overload!

Mahalo, everyone for your complementary comments. I've had fun talking with everyone that has come by the show. (Rev. Bamboo Ben must of slipped on in and out with an invisible cloak) You will most likely find me in the hall -featured artist room. There is one more day- serves at the church 10:00 am -with my art as an illustration -anyone welcome. Doors for show open at 11:30 - 5:00 hope to see you there.
We had a good time at TikiVato's cocktail party Sat night thanks for the invite and tie-in to my show. My wife, daughter and I had a nice time and enjoyed the conversation with all. Pupus, drinks and music and don't forget the key-lime cake (We won't! - Who has the recipe?) I had the pleasure of talking with Chris Nichols (LA. Magazine) at the show and invited him to the party as well.

[ Edited by: Tiki Carver King 2013-02-23 22:02 ]

I just wanted to bring this to the top one more time this Sunday morning, while people still have a chance to go and see the show. And buy something, it's gonna go up in price! If there ever was an exhibition that could be called a complete overview/retrospective (style-wise) of a Tiki artist's/sculptor's work, this is it! Leroy will exhibit in the future, but he really poured his heart and sweat into this one.

I greatly regret that my schedule did not permit me to take part in the afternoon's cocktail reception, it would have been great to see everybody.

So who's going today? Please post more pictures...

Indeed Sven, Leroy is a great Artist, a greater Man. It's a beautiful day to go the Festival of Arts and see Leroy's amazing work and purchase a part of history.
It was an honor to host a reception for Leroy and his family. Here's a few pictures of the happy hour:

I'll be going later this afternoon.

WoW, I truly wish I could see the show in person...thanks for the pics. Leroy, your art is "over the top" mind blowing impressive! OGR

Thank you for the photos, more please. :)

Here's a few I took yesterday.

On 2013-02-23 21:50, Tiki Carver King wrote:
(Rev. Bamboo Ben must of slipped on in and out with an invisible cloak)

p.s. Would be great if someone here could build you (Leroy) an Online Gallery for everyone to see your stuff!

The show was great and Leroy's work is incredible! Thank you also to Tiki Vato and Nui Umi Umi for hosting the after-party at Tiki Nui -- a most fabulous space. What a great day and evening it was! :)

Very interesting!

Good luck!

HT here are some of the pix I took. I''ll try not to post stuff already posted. More tomorrow.

g/50848x512c4ef3.jpg[/img]

Thanks so much for spreading the word on this great event. We went yesterday and were lucky enough to be able to attend LeRoy's mini-seminar and fell in love with a few paintings that found their way back home with us. Shown here is Tiki Dan with his favorite painting by his favorite artist. What a great day.

On 2013-02-25 23:28, TwoChordTom wrote:
Thanks so much for spreading the word on this great event. We went yesterday and were lucky enough to be able to attend LeRoy's mini-seminar and fell in love with a few paintings that found their way back home with us. Shown here is Tiki Dan with his favorite painting by his favorite artist. What a great day.

I was there also with my wife. great to see the enthusiasm in you young-ums. Nice piece you bought.
Cheers

On 2013-02-25 09:21, PolynesianPop wrote:
The show was great and Leroy's work is incredible! Thank you also to Tiki Vato and Nui Umi Umi for hosting the after-party at Tiki Nui -- a most fabulous space. What a great day and evening it was! :)

Adrian, The party to honor Leroy was TikiVato's idea and he did all the work to bring it to fruition. My wife and I were guests. Joe and I collaborated on the "new" cocktail, the Tiki Nui Cup and I baked the Key Lime Cake but that was the extent of my contributions. It was indeed a great evening!
Here's a few mo pix for HT.
Cheers

Tony Montero entertained with a great selection of "standards" and in addition to singing he's a master of the clarinet, tenor sax, and baritone sax. Tony can be heard 2-3 times a week at "Javis Paradise", a new tiki-surf bar just south of Rosarito Beach, Baja California. Tony commutes between there and the No Hollywood area frequently.

Guest of honor and his wife, the lovely Vivian at TV's post show party at Tiki Nui.

Very interesting!

Good luck!

HT, I got an 'art card" signed by leroy I want to mail to ya. PM me with your mailing address and i'll send it asap.
Here's a couple mo pix.
this is the card I wiil send you.

Leroy and Polypop

Lft to rht, Tikivato (Joe), HBtiki (Roger), Leroy , and yours truly at Leroy's party after the Saturday show..

Cheers

Mahalo, just wanted to give a shout out to TikiVato & nui 'umi 'umi --- Thanks for all the help taking and putting away all my art for the show. I know it was many, many truckloads and hours of time. I would of been lost without your generosity (well I would of been really-really tired!) Bring the tiki-pumpkins by to get signed anytime. Danny, Chacho, and the Johnsons thanks for your help too!
Look for a posting of a show I am doing in July. I'll get the info out as soon as it is finalized.

Here are a few more pics

Up close and personal

SMILE!

You are very welcome Leroy! Here is a pic showing the detail on the back of that tiki pic that is captioned "smile". The next pic shows that same guy next to his braddah from another muddah in my tiki sitting room. I was fortunate to get to the show early Friday (1rst day of show) and my tikiqueen bought him for me.
Now if i can just figure out how to smash tikivato's pumpkin... hee,hee....

C
cy posted on Wed, Feb 27, 2013 9:41 PM

A humbling and amazing body of work Tiki Carver King, you are one of the few true tiki artists!

B

Awesome bunch of work Leroy, Really wish I could have been there. People don't realize how much art you have produced over the years, Thanks for still hanging on to the old ways. Much Respect coming your way.

Pages: 1 44 replies