Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 2-13-13 Valentine's Day

Pages: 1 0 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: February 13, 2013

On this week’s show we explore all sorts of music embodying erotical and entropical envelopments inspired by the imminent advent of Saint Valentine’s Day.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans choose to record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “What a Brownskin Maiden Taught Me,” the 1936 recording by Andy Iona and The Islanders from the collection: Hawaiians in Hollywood – Smooth, Sweet & Swinging – 1934-36, with Iona on Rickenbacker Frying Pan Six-String Electric Lap Steel Guitar, Ukulele & Arrangements; Danny Stewart on Lap Steel Guitar; Allen Kila on Guitar; and Sam Koki on Bass.

2. “Les Femmes d’Amerique,” was the 1937 song by Danny Stewart from the CD Box Set: It’s Hotter in Hawaii.

3. “Chant d'amour de Tahiti (Tahitian Love Song)” recorded in 1927 by the French lap steel guitar player Gino Bordin was from his album: Virtuose De La Guitare Hawaiienne – 1930s Paris, with Tino Rossi on Vocals and Backing Guitar by Alexandre Manara.

4. “Will You Love Me (When My Carburetor Is Busted)?” was Myrtle K. Hilo’s 1967 musical gem taken from the post-vocational anthology: Pau Hana Party.

5. “Good Little, Bad Little You” performed by Cliff "Ukulele Ike" Edwards in 1928 and taken from the CD Box Set: With My Little Ukulele in My Hand.

6. “Lover” and “Lady of Spain” by the Slack-Key Guitar Master Ledward Kaapana taken from the conscientious compilation: Legends of the Ukulele – Hawaiian Masters.

7. “To You, Sweetheart, Aloha,” the song composed by Harry Owens performed in 1936 by Louis Armstrong with Andy Aiona and His Islanders, from the copacetic collection: Jazz Goes Hawaiian.

8. “Pua Kukui (Kukui Flower)” taken from the 1976 LP: The Gabby Pahinui Hawaiian Band, Vol. 2. The lyrics to this 1957song by Johnny Noble and Mekia Kealakai refer to the Kukui flower and catching lover with a lariat. Performing here are Gabby Pahinui on the Vocal, 6- and 12-string guitar, and the steel guitar solo as well as Bass; with Leland "Atta" Isaacs, Sonny Chillingworth, and Cyril and James “Bla” Pahinui on Guitars; Ry Cooder on Tiple, which is a 4-String Guitar; Milt Holland on Congas; and Randy Lorenzo on Bass, Dominican Pandero Hand-Held Drums & Cymbal.

9. “Sand,” the classic song composed by Andy Iona & Billy Abrams, sung and performed on Steel Guitar by Owana Salazar from her CD: Hula Jazz, featuring Kit Ebersbach on Piano, Noel Akimoto on Vibes and Drums and Stephen Jones on Bass.

10. “Easy to Love (C'est Si Facile De Vous Aimer)” from the anthropological anthology: The Exotic Josephine Baker, this Cole Porter song was originally composed for the 1936 movie: Born to Dance.

11. “Love Is the Greatest Thing” by Mae West from her righteous retrospective: Come Up and See Me Sometime – 30 Original Mono Recordings 1933-1954, recorded in 1954 accompanied by Sy Oliver & His Orchestra.

12. “Love Ain't Right,” the 1956 song taken from the copious compilation: Songs by Kay Starr.

13. “Sing It Way Down Low” sung by the composer, Hoagy Carmichael, accompanying himself on Piano in 1932 and taken from the historic sampler: Stardust and Much More.

14. “I Can't Tell Why I Love You, But I Do” from the antic anthology: Dorothy Lamour -- Queen of the Hollywood Islands, composed by Gus Edwards and Will D. Cobb for her 1948 movie: Lulu Belle, with The Crew Chiefs on Backing Vocals and Henry Russell & His Orchestra.

15. “People Will Say We're in Love,” by Rodgers & Hammerstein for their 1943 Broadway musical: Oklahoma! This version recorded that same year by Spike Jones & His City Slickers, with The Nilsson Twins on Vocals, taken from the CD Box Set: Strictly for Music Lovers.

16. “It's Wrong for Me to Love You” from the freaky French collection: Hollywood, Mon Amour, this song was originally sung by PIa Zadora in the 1982 movie: Butterfly and is sung here by Bianca Calandra with Dea Li on backing vocal , and Thibaut Barbillon on Guitar and Bass, and producer Marc Collin on Keyboards.

17. “My Funny Valentine,” the Rodgers & Hart classic composed for their 1937 Broadway musical: Babes in Arms, taken from the historical collection: Yes, I Can! The Sammy Davis Jr. Story.

Pages: 1 0 replies