Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

No party tonight (Sun) - The Bahooka will NOT be open !!

Pages: 1 2 3 109 replies

M

Tiki Al and I will be there.

Heyya John-O, we're just back from Dapper Day at Disneyland (fabulous!) so if you didn't already have us down from the other "Bahooka-closing" thread as attending on Mar. 10, please consider this note as confirmation. We'll squeeze in under a table if we have to! Thanks!

I would love to spend the Bahooka sendoff with all the Tiki Ohana! Please count me plus 1 in. The final TC event at Bahooka's... :(

Josh and I will be there!

A look back at some old footage of the Bahooka 2010 Mug Release Party. Apologies for the poor quality, we had no idea what we were doing in those days :wink:

Bahooka 2010 Mug Release Party:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhMER0tmdis

TM

On 2013-02-25 20:16, 20th Century Man wrote:
Heyya John-O, we're just back from Dapper Day at Disneyland (fabulous!) so if you didn't already have us down from the other "Bahooka-closing" thread as attending on Mar. 10, please consider this note as confirmation. We'll squeeze in under a table if we have to! Thanks!

Dapper day you say? I too was there! (check out some pictures in bilge)

That was a good one Chris, can't believe that was already 3 years ago.

RL

The Ding Dong Devils have two songs with a Bahooka theme. I Carry a Tiki Torch for You is about meeting a girl at Bahooka, trying to impress her, and finding she's ditched you each time you leave to get another drink. Head Shrinker is based on one of their signature drinks. We will be doing both songs in each of our two otherwise different sets. I was there over the weekend and picked up some t-shirts and a parrot. They were doing a brisk business!

Is it still possible to even show up on Sat if you don't have reservations?
Personally, I don't care if I have to stand around in the lobby...

Why isn't anyone here rich enough to buy this place and keep it going!

J

I think you would be fine just showing up if you don't want a sit down meal. Last Sunday in the late afternoon, there were many empty booths that could be poached, just no available wait staff to take your order (which I think is the greatest bottleneck for reservations).

You can always just get drinks at the bar and enjoy them in an empty booth until someone kicks you out.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2013-03-01 10:50 ]

CA

Holy 'Take a Lesson from Michael Jackson' and kill it after you die......... Great 'Tiki Culture' radio spot on Local KPPC on Friday 3/1/13 based on the closing of Bahooka. Maybe the Loss will inspire new resilience ???

too many great memories, and still i barely ever went there. First 'trip' was 1989 or 90?? late night excursion to lost tiki temple.... by the time we found it they were closed... 10PM??? Been Ba-Hooked ever since.(just from seeing the outside...)

1998 Copro/Nason show, debut of tiki # 11,12,& 13.....

ten year show!
2008 http://www.tikimania.com/docs/CrazyAL_update.html

boy,.... oof'

Got a question. So Bahooka's is closing on Sunday March 10. The Tiki coctail party is going to be on that day starting at 6pm. So do we need to respond to something or just show up on that day and time?

Thanks,
Sammy Velvet

count 4 more .. we are there...

T

[ Edited by: Tiki-ESP 2013-03-02 11:43 ]

On 2013-03-02 08:42, sammyvelvet wrote:
count 4 more .. we are there...

Yea! it's Sammy & Francine! welcome to TC you kids!

P.S. you may have to leave "Mei Mei" at home for this one :)

Where is this Facebook page invite that I am hearing about?? I wanted to go for dinner with my girlfriend and her mother the other evening, but didn't know they'd stopped answering the phone and didn't want to risk driving all the way out to Rosemead from Hollywood for dinner and risk not getting in. Would really be nice to get another of those flaming bowls before they go off into the sunset.

Damn Bahooka, you can't rush history like this...

I severely doubt that there is gonna be much serving of anything being done on the 10th. I vote to invite a food truck (or two) - but then again, the parking lot is gonna be full with parked cars :)

On 2013-02-25 10:41, JOHN-O wrote:

Just a bump on my last post so that people understand the reserved back room will not be providing dinner service. There probably won't be drink service either. Also if the room gets overrun with a larger than expected crowd then there may be a line to get in (just like at a Tiki Oasis Room Crawl. :D)

The Ding Dong Devils will be playing 2 sets so it may be less frustrating to come later at 9pm when most of the restaurant crowds have (hopefully) thinned out.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-03-04 21:45 ]

Long time lurker - the two of us'll be there, hoping to get in.
Even if we have to have a send off in the parking lot...

I imagine we won't be able to squeeze into the back room party, but we're planning to be there at some point on Sunday. Probably earlier in the day in the hopes of getting in eventually. Sigh. I'm gonna miss that place.

Ive been going there for over 40 years-ever since I was a kid. I've introduced many people to Ruffus.
I was devastated when Kelbos disappeared too. Such Tiki sadness.
I took my Mom and daughter to Bahooka Sunday but we couldn't get in. By 9:oo they had run out of food!

So it'll be a Chinese restaurant now? Good, cause you know... there's not enough Chinese restaurants in the San Gabriel Valley.
See y'all Sunday.
Jonny Bahama

I've shown up to tiki market places and events, never to an official tiki central meet up. But I'll be there on Sunday. At the very least getting my bowl of alcohol on.

Been going there for the past 30 years. Gonna miss that place.

J
JOHN-O posted on Thu, Mar 7, 2013 3:55 PM

Update. See page 1.

That's too bad John-O. Thanks for your effort and planning. We know that you had good intentions planning this and I am sure canceling it was a tough choice.

I had a feeling about this, I suspect the Bahooka's management
just was not up for it as well with the erratic hours this week

I am sure some of you can still make a lunch or dinner this weekend
but be aware of a small staff & discontinued drink service etc.

BK

Sounds like the place is gonna go out with a thud instead of a bang! What a shame. Valiant effort John-O!

OGR

John-O, Your aim was perfect, it's a shame your target moved....GREAT EFFORT....You obviously cared deeply...OGR

Lots o peeps are still gonna show up, I assume...or are they gonna be closed?

On 2013-03-07 18:14, bigbrotiki wrote:
Lots o peeps are still gonna show up, I assume...or are they gonna be closed?

Have not been able to get a straight answer on this Sven, it is possible they may be closed?
also I have heard maybe just shorter hours on Sunday, but this is hearsay.....

As someone who has worked in many bar's and closed down locations for other bar locations for friends, you will usually see the following.

They do not want to purchase food or Booze when they will not exist the next day and can't transfer the product to the new owners.
The employees probably have new job's by now,so whoever serves you is probably a fill in and doesn't know the job.

So If they are open they are probably altering the drinks and food to work with whatever product is left.

Not the best way to remember a place usually.

W

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2013-03-07 18:59 ]

I was there today and found out that they will be open Sunday and serving a very limited menu to control table wait times and food prep times. I saw many familiar faces in the wait staff today so while there may be some temporary help, it looked like the majority are the same employees who have served us over the years. Tip these people well if you venture down there over the next few days as they will be unemployed come Monday!

I'm so happy that we got to have our Last Hurrah at Bahooka's last Saturday Night. VIP Table, VIP Service from Chico, Strong Drinks & Delicious Food with Good Friends. Who would of thought that a 6:00 Reservation would last as long to close the restaurant for the night? Bahooka's will Always have a Special Place in Our Hearts & Memories

I hope I can get one last Grenade with the Pin Pulled. I'm still so sad to see this place go. I will probably cry.

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Mar 8, 2013 6:24 AM

Bumping this thread daily until Sun to make sure it's seen.

T

If you don't have a reservation please don't go. These people have been swamped since they announced it and they really deserve a rest. I'm told they are just turning folks away and it just adds to the confusion.

HT

Does that mean if I want to go today for lunch I need a reservation!!!!!!! for Bahooda???????

C

I was going to take a little long lunch at work today (Friday) and head over to meet Puka von Pele (who was geting in line at 11 for opening at 11:30).

Is it true you can't get in without reservations? I thought it was first-come first serve now. Or are you only talking about Sunday night, Ray?

Caltiki Brent

T

Lunch might be ok but they are just so overwhelmed till Sunday night. They have been killing themselves to serve all but it's just too much. And it's only because we love it so much. Just try to understand it from their standpoint. I've been told so many horror stories if people demanding prompt service but the load is too great to keep up with. God bless them all for their efforts.

Then go in for a drink. They stopped taking reservations a while ago. Walk in's are welcomed, but just realize there's going to be a long wait time as well as limited food menu.

Pay your respect by hitting the bar for a bowl once more and tip them bartenders well. they deserve it.

S

I saw this on their Facebook page:

"This is it! Cash only from now on, and our food supplies are dwindling, we will probably run out today. For the rest of out time, DRINKS WILL BE FLOWING! This is it! Thanks everyone!"

Time to kill Rufus.
He's over 25 I believe, (he's had a good, long life.)
Grill him up, and serve him to the fans.
:wink:

Jeff btd

Bahooka Sunday night is BACK ON!!! We have the room for a PRIVATE PARTY from 6pm on!!! It's going to be cocktails only with the possibility of RIBS! Please come by prepared for a crowd and stay for a while to say good bye to Bahooka, the staff and RUFUS. You are invited if you know Tiki Central...If you aren't sure, message me

ahhh BTD, always such a great contributor to the TC threads, your wit has no bounds. SoccerTiki, glad to hear this on again. I'm trying to capture a bunch of memories of Bahooka from folks, so if you see me running around and want to participate, grab me and let me know. Cheers!

My pleasure Chris.
Rufus is probably tough because of his age.
If they dice him up, they could prob. Pass him off as
Tofu chunks, lots of tiki people seem to be going the veggie route.
That would be cool to take a piece of Rufus home that way.

Jeff btd

CJ

I'll pay top dollar for rufus on a dish.

http://reluctantgourmet.com/component/k2/item/689:grilled-barbecue-pacu-fish-ribs

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2013-03-08 19:07 ]

J
JOHN-O posted on Fri, Mar 8, 2013 7:10 PM

On 2013-03-08 18:36, SoccerTiki wrote:
Bahooka Sunday night is BACK ON!!! We have the room for a PRIVATE PARTY from 6pm on!!! It's going to be cocktails only with the possibility of RIBS! Please come by prepared for a crowd and stay for a while to say good bye to Bahooka, the staff and RUFUS. You are invited if you know Tiki Central...If you aren't sure, message me

I meant to say page 6.

On 2013-03-08 19:05, Coco Joe wrote:
I'll pay top dollar for rufus on a dish.

http://reluctantgourmet.com/component/k2/item/689:grilled-barbecue-pacu-fish-ribs

[ Edited by: Coco Joe 2013-03-08 19:07 ]

Joe,
That's great, you know we're gonna be forever
Lambasted for saying that right?

Double post

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2013-03-09 09:04 ]

T

I stopped at the Bahooka tonight after working 12 hours not to drink or eat but to just say goodbye to the hosts , thank them for all they've done and brought Darlene a huge batch of flowers. They deserve big thanks for putting up with all of us.

Pages: 1 2 3 109 replies