Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

can't decide whether to paint or not

Pages: 1 5 replies

I just bought this carved TIKI and I think that you'd see the details more if I paint it...but I don't want to ruin it either...What do you think? thanks for your advise Ellen

M

Welcome to TC Ellen, my .2c is not to paint, but, do stain it if only to preserve it. It has details that would be enhanced with more than one tone or color.

Nice Tiki.

I would loose the rope, or replace it with a more rustic one like Jute or Hemp rope.

Good luck!

Mahalo

McTiki

Treat it with Howard Products Feed-N-Wax. Buzzy gave me that great recommendation.
It made some of the carvings I have that looked as dry as old fence posts all bright and shiny. Be sure to wear gloves and a mask when applying the stuff.

If you plan on keeping the tiki outside they have a product called SunShield that I've never used, but it helps protect outdoor wood furniture.

You can read about their different products on their website. http://www.howardproducts.com

-Lori

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-02-18 08:47 ]

I'd go with a wax finish and lose the rope as McTiki suggests. You'll probably find the wood comes to life with a good finish and polish...

P

yep...the wax thing is probably a good call...

It depends upon whether or not you intend it to be displayed outside. If so, you will want a marine finish (literally a boat finish) for waterproofing if you want to preserve the wood as much as possible. For interior display, Danish oil, shellac, and even wax is fine (though wax on a rough finish will need to be brushed in with a liberal quantity of the stuff), but whatever you do, stay away from polyurethane. It's the fix-all finish that is a pain to refresh (as one really must strip the old off first compared to the other finishes mentioned) when it gets dinged and it's really unnecessary unless you plan on using the tiki as a drink stand and need waterproofing ala a tabletop. Keep in mind straight polyurethane is lousy as an exterior finish and you will end up with a peeling mess in no time at all.

Good luck!

GK

Pages: 1 5 replies