Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Manalya Lounge (formally wolfes head)

Pages: 1 21 replies

Just "finished" our new bar (they! are! never! finished!) lava wall and room... can be seen on youtube "new tiki bar and lava wall" I'll post static pics later.

Cheers Don

[ Edited by: tikimission 2013-02-28 11:39 ]

Not a very Tiki name for your bar, lets see some pics!

I like it, so far. The Lava looks great. The white door & window frames are a buzzkill, though. Maybe paint them brown & invest in a few Tikis.
Oh, yeah....and use this: http://www.hanttula.com/exhibits/tiki-bar-name-generator/

Pics so far so good... as for the name who knows what we'll call it no ideas yet.
needed some name to post new topic.
much more work to be done but looks good so far.

Lava bar looks kool
Have fun
Cheers

Jon

Looking good! That looks like a large space you're working with.

Cool space. I'm with ATP though. How did you incorperate Wolfes Head as the name for the bar? Is there something we dont know about?

We live on an 1.5 acre piece of paradise here in B.C. that we lovingly call the "Wolfes head inn" hense wolfes head tiki.
But after doing some spitballing with the wife i think we may go with "The Manalaya Lounge" Better???
We are a long way from finished and have way more hours of bamboo work burlaping, roping,and cedar carving in our neer future.

That's the ticket....

Very nice start. Keep the pictures coming. Love the lava rock bar.

Looks great....keep up the good work. :drink: Cheers

Ah! Very cool. Great name change too. :D. Looking forward to seeing progress pics.

Thanks for sharing your pictures, nice job! The lava is cool.

Chris

HT

YES!

Good job on the new name, and good job on the bar, man. Really. Looks good. Just get some more ceiling stuff in and paint those doors and windows!

How did you do the lava, by the way?

C

Looks great! Yes, PLEASE tell us more about the lava!

HT

Also, since you've settled on a new name, you can change the name of the thread if you edit your first post, if you want.

The lava wall is not that hard just time consuming. I've tried both spray foam and block foam on other projects. For this the block foam (popcorn style) is easiest. I started by building my shelves in this case I used 2x6 in various lengths just make sure you use a heavy mount bracket. Then I glued using pl200 or similiar glue attach 1/2" foam block to the wall covering every where I wanted the lava look. This is your base. At this point using various thickness of foam start glueing to the front of the shelfs this is why you use 2x6 it gives you a good glueing surface. After covering the shelves I start filling in the depth I want accross the entire wall. keep in mind that you are going to scrub away alot of foam when shapping the wall. Use a wire brush to scrub the foam conturing it. I used different types of wire wheel in various sizes but mostly used them by hand. No power drill as it is way to easy to remove more then you want and harder to shape. After you like the shape run your electrical. I used 24 feet of l.e.d lighting along the sheves. If you leave channels in the block foam this is easy. Then paint in a semi gloss latex paint so you don't melt the foam. You could spray can if you wish but spray will melt the foam as they are all solvent based. But you may like that look who knows. Brush the paint in to all the crack and crevises be prepaired to chew through alot of brushs. Let dry and enjoy. Simplified a little but thats the general idea.

P.s. this system was shown to me by a budy. Who started the shapping and was a wealth of ideas for the project.

[ Edited by: tikimission 2013-02-28 12:27 ]

[ Edited by: tikimission 2013-02-28 12:45 ]

M

I like your idea for your light sconces. The reed rolled around it is a cool effect.

Thought I'd add some assembly pics. Unfortunately that was all I took during the process.

Thought I'd add some assembly pics. Unfortunately that was all I took during the process.

New updated Bar...

Impressive upgrade, Tikimission! That new bar looks swank. The workmanship that goes into curving lines always impresses me. Loving the other additions as well. More pics, please!

Pages: 1 21 replies