Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

South Seas Cinema Website

Pages: 1 2 58 replies

This ended up being a total revamp of our non-profit website. Besides a new look and adding a “Poly Pop Picts” page there is also a new section on “Poly Pop Posters” page under the “Images” page. There are over 200 images of films and TV shows with titles based on stories set outside the Pacific with hulas, tikis and tiki bars galore.

Some of this information comes from the mother website “Tiki Central” and from the hundreds of TCers members who collectively are ever vigilant in finding tiki and other South Seas images and titles and reporting them in the TV and film treads on this site. Mahalo nui to you all. There is much more to research on this site and more to learn and discover on the “tiki” subject. Although the South Seas Cinema Society has kept a database of information and images for years on Poly Pop films and other motion picture types, the additional information from TC has been a tremendous value.

While our website has been around for a handful of years, I note other websites have launched with information from TC. TC has been here a while with tons of information. Gathering this information in a focused manner and putting this information on more specific sites is of value to all. But the Tiki Central with its many active and contributing members is the mother lode of Polynesian Pop and other real Pacific information. Thank you again and keep it up everyone!

On 2016-09-08 21:28, creativenative wrote:
...But the Tiki Central with its many active and contributing members is the mother lode of Polynesian Pop and other real Pacific information. Thank you again and keep it up everyone!

So true, and yet there are those who would put Facebook above Tiki Central.

Great stuff, CN! Appreciate all the work. Pretty sure I found the site separately, before I knew you were a member here.

You know these kids today with their lists, those short attention span types (sometimes me) might appreciate a Tropical Twenty, or a Top Ten Tikiest - films especially. Just don't be surprised if Buzzfeed steals it!

Thanks Greg D R for your positive comments and AceEx for your support.

[ Edited by: creativenative 2016-09-23 01:34 ]

I'm looking for a montage of vintage "south sea" or "tiki" imagery that would be good as a background video during a party. If anyone has found something close to matching this please let me know.

On 2017-05-12 14:15, Tikibear69 wrote:
I'm looking for a montage of vintage "south sea" or "tiki" imagery that would be good as a background video during a party. If anyone has found something close to matching this please let me know.

Sent you a PM, I made a montage video for just such purpose!!

O
Otto posted on Mon, Jan 29, 2018 4:36 PM

On 2016-08-23 17:27, creativenative wrote:
Been on the mainland so I didn't finish polishing the updates. Now that I'm back, I just completed a copy edit on the new "Poly Pop Picts" pages and on the "About" page. Lighten the background woven mats throughout the site for a better read because it was too yellow. Added pictures to the "Poly Pop Picts" pages and got rid of the table format in some of the older pages for a better and more consistent read throughout. Finally added new members to the beach of fame. See if you can spot them. I noted we had images in our database but not the written descriptions to the tiles so I know I have more to do to add these titles. But I'm beat, any additions will be on the next round of updates. Here are some Poly Pop motion picture images recently added.

Can you confirm whether the bar used in Goodfellas is the famous Hawaii Kai, NYC?
That is the only large scale place that would have been open in NYC at that time

Yep - it was the Hawaii Kai.

O
Otto posted on Tue, Jan 30, 2018 10:49 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33dztfqRu_k

A Futile and Stupid Gesture (2018)
Is a pretty entertaining documentary about National Lampoon that features a scene in Hawaii with hotel debauchery a la "Fear and Loathing"
I doubt it was actually shot in Hawaii but the room is packed full of cool vintage bamboo furniture and Tiki mugs and there is a poolside scene with a Scorpion Bowl and Tiki drinks:

Doubt it's Hawaii too. But I'm going to watch the film. Son turn on Netflix!

Aloha everyone. Hope everyone is going to the Tiki Oasis this year (Aug 8th - 12th). As most of you know the theme this year is South Seas Cinema with some great seminars on the subject (my symposium is on Friday at 2pm "South Seas Musicals"). I already prepared some GREAT clips on the subject. There are other great symposiums organized, check them out: http://tikioasis.com/symposiums/ Here is a banner from the T.O. Facebook page. One of many great art work that Otto and Baby Doe put together that really represents the theme well. Of course there are also the other regular non-themed fun events going on. I'm excited to attend and hope you are too! You will see other cool South Seas visuals throughout the event but no spoilers - check them out yourselves. See you there!

P.S. Mahalo nui for Otto, Baby Doe, and Sven for helping to put this together. Aloha kâkou!

Pages: 1 2 58 replies