Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Build a new bar....Need help....

Pages: 1 9 replies

I've been looking at alot of youtube videos lately and I would like to build a little patio bar for my family. My house is the place to be for every holiday so I would like to take the traffic outside. At first I wanted a bar shaped like a U without the curves but decided against it because...

1. This will be my first bar ever build and my experience level is beginner at best.
  2. Room. The space I have to use is plenty big, but I'm a renter now and would like to buy a house in the next six months.

I would like the bar to have room for atleast three people. I think I read somewhere that 24inches should be aloud for every person sitting at the bar. I would like a roof/canopy. I've seen a few roofs made of 2x4 for frames with cheap metal plates for the roof. The same stuff people use for backyard sheds.

So I was thinking I could make the frame of the bar out of 2x4. The length would be 5 feet and 3 feet. The legs of the bar would consist of 5-4x4 placed in each corner. The legs would fit inbetween the 2x4. I could face the bar with some cheap 1/2 plywood for extra strength. I'm not really sure what to do the top of the bar in. I've read that mdf is good enough, but I would be afraid that that stuff would expand as soon as it got any liquid on it. Im thinking some nicer plywood that I could stain and clear.

So I have a few questions, actually after reading my thread if anyone sees anything I'm overlooking please feel free to stop me and question me.

1. How tall should my canopy legs be? The bar itself I would like to be about 42 inches. I plan on the canopy legs to bolt down to the bar top with brackets. The roof itself will come down at a slant so I need enough room for a tall person to get under that :)
  2. Do I need pressure threated wood? I plan to use screws and brackets to butt my wood.

This is a couple vids/threads I've been looking at...TY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO17YNDoal8
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=37748&forum=20&5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVBtmyTqfLg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHLrMorZ2QY

Cenvalycali, welcome to Tiki Central. I don't know much about building Tiki bars but I know about people ~ most people are visually oriented. Maybe posting a sketch would help people visualize what you are doing and get you some answers. You are in the right place, some of the threads here contain amazing home Tiki bars. The "Search" feature is your friend, especially when you limit your search to the Home Tiki Bars thread. Enjoy!

On 2013-03-20 19:54, MadDogMike wrote:
Cenvalycali, welcome to Tiki Central. I don't know much about building Tiki bars but I know about people ~ most people are visually oriented. Maybe posting a sketch would help people visualize what you are doing and get you some answers. You are in the right place, some of the threads here contain amazing home Tiki bars. The "Search" feature is your friend, especially when you limit your search to the Home Tiki Bars thread. Enjoy!

I tried sketching it out today on a napkin but the kids were screaming :) I tried using the search before I was a member and it wasn't to helpful. This forum has alot of talented people but nothing is really catagorized. There's a section for tiki bars, but not a how to, tiki 101, or basic. I feel like there should be a sticky thread that is always at the top of each page showing or telling us new guys the basics. Maybe there is but I'm missing it. I too am a visiual guy. I just hope I'm not bitting off more than I can chew on this project. If someone runs along this thread please answer my questions. I'll search some more also. Thanks

Adam

Start here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewforum.php?forum=20&12125
lots to look at, but plenty of info

You will need basic construction knowledge and skills to take on this project
can you give us some information to help, where are you located, is this an outside bar etc.

On 2013-03-20 21:12, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Start here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewforum.php?forum=20&12125
lots to look at, but plenty of info

You will need basic construction knowledge and skills to take on this project
can you give us some information to help, where are you located, is this an outside bar etc.

The link you posted is to the tiki bar area :). I found that area :) Thanks

The bar will be outside. I'm in the central valley of California. It gets hot and cold. It rains a few weeks every year but not constint. I would like my first bar to be all wood. I have a wine fridge and a mini fridge that I would like to add. I would also like to add a radio and some lighting. I'd like to go canopy/roof. TY

Visit home bars and the smaller bars lottsa hotels have around their swimming pools and rec. areas. Ask permission to sketch, take measurements or take pictures. I've never been told "no".
Good luck-please post pix of your work when you fix your 1rst Mai Tai in your new bar.

Over thinking it is the biggest mistake. Just start building it and enjoy the journey.

If your like most of us, you will never truly be done with it anyway. There is always something more to add or change, that's the fun of it.

Thanks guys for the inspiration. I started searching the bar topic. Theres some really nice ones.

I have to agree...probably not good to over plan. I did have a certain way my furniture was going to fit in my room and then beyond that just added and added and added. My place is not as cluttered as some since you can see wall space, but as time goes on I figure those spaces will fill in.

Once you get the basics built, you will probably get more ideas for your space and certainly every home bar thread you open will prompt more ideas. It is really fun to acquire art from all the wonderful artists on this board and the awesome Tikis that people carve. Don't forget to take picture of your progress and have fun.

Now this is just all my opinion..... That said..... "Don't overplan" is horrible advice. Plan, Plan, Plan, and more Plan.... especially since you're starting with a blank slate. Think about every little detail from electricity outlets to the position of the sun hitting the bar.
I understand Building something in an existing space sometimes calls for "just fill it up", but starting from scratch calls for planning.

My first tiki hut was built under the "makin it up as I went along theory" and I spent years either redoing or complaining about lack of things.
The Hut I'm building now has been super planned... And while its taking me forever, it will have everything I'll ever want and then some.

Now, also my opinion....you rent? Don't build anything. Watch craigslist for a second hand generic bamboo tiki bar that will hold you over till you get your house. Then build. Less to tear apart, less to move, and you'll have some experience of what you want or don't want in a bar.....

Good luck

Pages: 1 9 replies