Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mid Century Modern Home for Sale in Long Beach

Pages: 1 5 replies

A house I drive by everyday and admire just came on the market. It's a beauty and the price tag reflects that. But the location and design is unreal! Just thought I would share this property for your viewing pleasure or if you have the 1.6 laying around scoop it up then invite me over my finders fee of a cocktail.

http://www.socalmodern.com/homesdetail.php?pid=192&iid=1566

For anyone looking to have their spouse, friend, or neighbor killed, I will now be accepting contracts for the low, low price of $1.6million+tax. Hahahaha

I live in an apartment 2 blocks from that house and it is very cool. Every Christmas they put up an aluminum Christmas tree with a color wheel behind it and it makes the white walls of the place look like a psychedelic freak out.
They used to have some good yard sales. I'm crossing my fingers they'll have a 'moving sale'.

The house that it's next to, Weathering Heights, is also for sale. W.C. Fields used to rent it and Carole Lombard and Clark Gable summered there. Fatty Arbuckle and Theda Bara were neighbors. It was quite the party house in the 1920's. The house has a gigantic backyard.

When you look across Ocean Blvd. at the 2 homes it's quite the juxtoposition of styles.

And for more So Cal real estate:
One of the original 1930 beach cottages in tiny Surfside is for sale for only $859,500. It's in a very quiet gated neighborhood and 50 feet from the sand. It's in the neighborhood that Sandra Bullock and Jesse James lived in when they were married. For that cheap price it makes me wonder if it's haunted or something creepy happened there. You could walk to Don the Beachcomber. Unfortunately it will probably be torn down to make way for the type of house it is sandwiched in between.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/26-Surfside-Unit-C_Surfside_CA_90743_M22290-57874?source=web

-Lori

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-03-22 13:12 ]

On 2013-03-22 11:50, tikilongbeach wrote:
The house that it's next to, Weathering Heights, is also for sale. W.C. Fields used to rent it and Carole Lombard and Clark Gable summered there. Fatty Arbuckle and Theda Bara were neighbors. It was quite the party house in the 1920's. The house has a gigantic backyard.

It is reported that the ghost of Clark Gable has been spotted at this house and appears hungover. No reports of any Fatty Arbuckle ghosts. I would hate to think of what his ghost would be doing.

Anyway, interesting neighborhood

3065 E. Ocean Blvd. Long Beach, CA

Its too bad about the oil well view in their back yard. I remember as a kid Signal Hill and Long Beach had massive oil wells. I'm sure that well would have been there in 1958 when the house was built.

On 2013-03-25 06:59, MaukaHale wrote:
Its too bad about the oil well view in their back yard. I remember as a kid Signal Hill and Long Beach had massive oil wells. I'm sure that well would have been there in 1958 when the house was built.

The oil island is the view out of their big picture windows in the front.
Yes, Signal Hill had the nickname Porcupine Hill. The movie 'There will be Blood' is loosely based on the oil discovery in Signal Hill. The discovery of oil in LBC and Signal Hill in the 1920's was what shut down Balboa Studios which was a big silent movie studio. There is more money in oil than in movies. The studios then moved to Hollywood and the rest is history.
The decorated oil well islands look much better than the usual offshore oil rigs off the California coast. Waterfalls, palm trees, pretty lights...Like lipstick on a pig to some, but the oil wells and port that so many people think are ugly provide a lot of jobs.
The 5 islands were built in 1965 and they're named after the astronauts that were killed in the Apollo 1 explosion in 1967 and another island is named after a NASA test pilot that was killed. Once or twice a year they allow tours of the islands.

-Lori

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-03-25 08:32 ]

Pages: 1 5 replies