Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Oceanic Arts Web Store?

Pages: 1 12 replies

M

Allright, I'm just going to ask it: Does anyone know any information about Oceanic Arts actually making an online store? Their website just says "coming soon"...for the past 3 years....Coming Soon. Living in Cleveland is a drag when it comes to finding tiki!

On 2013-03-30 14:51, Masher88 wrote:
Allright, I'm just going to ask it: Does anyone know any information about Oceanic Arts actually making an online store? Their website just says "coming soon"...for the past 3 years....Coming Soon. Living in Cleveland is a drag when it comes to finding tiki!

They are very old school. Call them and most likely they'll send you a catalog. It's worked for them for over 50 years.

Ya! Ben is right. I will be awhile before that site is updated.

Although with their short Saturday hours, Oceanic Arts is foregoing thousands of dollars in revenue annually.
They easily could have a website to market themselves and join the 21st century.

HT

3 years? I remember seeing that at least as far back as 2006.

I don't think the fellas are hurting any. Those in the know, know. They're very "old school," as it were. Still require businesses fax their request on letterhead.

Looking forward to placing a big order with them soon, actually.

They sent me a pretty cool catalog, very quickly.

Living in Cleveland is a drag when it comes to finding tiki!

It's out there ,just a little hard to find.

HT

On 2013-03-31 07:44, TIKI DAVID wrote:

Says the man that's found it all. :)

K
Kanu posted on Mon, Apr 1, 2013 8:57 PM

It's funny that you should mention that. I recently had a discussion with Bob (of LeRoy and Bob, the owners) about it and had a lot of the same comments you did. Turns out, their current website was put together by a secretary 12 years ago, and she has since passed away.

I suggested that even if they didn't turn it into a full blown web store, but just a digital copy of their catalog (PDF or something), that'd help sales a little. Bob seemed open to it, but as Ben said... it's worked for them the other way for 50 years, so they're in no rush. And once you get a copy of that catalog, you'll see it's got a history and a feel to it that doesn't translate well digitally. Not to mention, there's more stuff in the store than you'll find in the catalog. It's definitely worth the pilgrimage out there, I recently did and had some stuff shipped back here to Michigan.

I'll mention it again to him, so we'll see... and if there are any fans out there looking to do a little pro bono work, give it a shot. I'm tempted to offer a technology-for-tikis barter to them myself. :wink:

M

On 2013-03-31 15:34, Hale Tiki wrote:

On 2013-03-31 07:44, TIKI DAVID wrote:

Says the man that's found it all. :)

Scoured Cleveland clean!

I just called OA. I ordered a catalog. It's 10 bucks, but I assume that covers the postage and printing of it.

[ Edited by: Masher88 2013-04-06 10:58 ]

BK

It's worth the 10 bucks!

I phoned and emailed them and found they were very helpful. Mind you, this was after visiting their wonderful warehouse a few times. They have pretty much everything you're gonna need to make your tiki space look good. So when it was time for me to source some lauhala matting and thatch, I knew I'd be using O. A.

I'm not of the building mindset or skill, but I am going to order a catalog just to gawk!!!

Pages: 1 12 replies