Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Our Lil' Tiki Hut

Pages: 1 5 replies

M

We moved into our house in Huntington Beach a little over a year ago. It's a 3 story house, with the living room, dining room and kitchen on the middle floor. We decided to turn this space into our lil' tiki hut.
This was when we originally moved in

We painted the walls Macadamia Nut colored...little dog approved.

My husband and father had to figure out all the paneling part.

Paneling done, and framed. The start of getting what we already had up on the walls. The corner hutch in the corner was originally pink so I painted it to match our theme and coming up soon I've got plans to tiki hut it out some more with bamboo, thatch and do some burned patterns into the trim.

The other side...we've actually added quite a bit more to this corner since I last took photos.

This is the opposing wall to the long wall we did. It was fun watching them figure out the bamboo framing for that! (Gates are to keep dogs in!)

This is the bar my husband and I built when we first started living together(the start of it all). Unfortunately in this space we can't really use it as a bar and its a little bit too big as well. So we have plans to pull it apart and redo it so that its a front opening cabinet to store booze.

We've done some more work since I took these photos and have a lot more plans to get this space to be over the top tiki...just takes time and money plus does adding stuff really ever end?

MaiTai- walls look great
It looks like a fun place to sit, relax and sip da Mai-Tai
Have fun

Jon

I know it is just starting, but you need at least one Tiki (3 foot or larger)
of course more is better & the masks don't count, some of the great Tiki art from some of the local to you
artists (Doug Horne, Little Lost Tiki, Bosko, Tiki Diablo, Bamboo Ben etc.)
since you have the wall space.

keep it coming......

M

Mahalo for the comments. We did pick up a 5' carved tiki for the yard this past weekend at ITMP and some other artwork from some of the locals that we are excited to add. I'm really hoping to eventually replace a lot of the items we have up on the walls with work from local artists or that we do ourselves...making the panels more stylized. We really struggled with how far we should really go in this space but I think we've finally decided to go all the way. Lots of ideas are being formulated...and I'm really happy that this forum exists with so many people sharing their how-tos so we know where to start. My husband is actually on his way to Hawaii right now for work so I'm going to start practicing my wood burning skills so we can start on some projects when he gets back.

Mahalo for all your support! And ideas...everyone is such an inspiration! Hope to be sharing more soon.

Welcome to TC, MaiTaiMe!

Your space is starting out very nicely! Keep the pictures coming and keep plugging along. I'm jealous of your location, there's lots of tiki by you and you get to go to the ITMP. I hope to get there one day - with a large, empty suitcase and several fistfuls of cash!!!!

MTM...great start to your lounge. I like how you called that paint color "macadamia nut"...it sounds so exotic. Keep posting pictures of your work, it is fun to see everyone's artistic decor.

Pages: 1 5 replies