Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Does Anyone Recognize this Mug ?

Pages: 1 13 replies

S
seamus posted on Fri, Jul 4, 2003 5:43 PM

My wahine scored this gem last summer in a Goodwill in San Jose for 3 bucks ! She's got a way better eye than me. I walked right by it. It looks handmade but it has Trader Vic's, TGp Studio, Hawaii, and something else hard to read inscribed in the bottom.
Can anyone shed some light on the origins of this vessel ?

other side
bottom.
Thanks!

S
seamus posted on Sat, Jul 5, 2003 6:43 PM

So, either this was a stupid question, OR so far nobody recognizes this thing. I'm wondering if it's some one off art class project who's creator scrawled Trader Vic's on just to be funny. Anyone??

The Hawaii Trader Vics did have at least one primitive looking (ie. high school art-class-looking) tiki mug they used that I don't believe was used by the other TVs. I know the Hawaii TV was somehow not affiliated with the other restaurants in the chain----some legal issue left someone else the rights to the name in Hawaii, or something like that. Anyway, this mug isn't the one I'm familiar with, although the style of writing on the bottom does look similar to the one I've seen. Could be the real deal....

I checked the "Tiki Mugs and More" gallery under Trader Vic. There are three primative looking mugs listed as belonging to the Hawaii Vics, but I didn't see this one.

http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/vics

S

Very helpful Information. Much Appreciated!

yes, that is one of my experiments gone very very wrong.An abomination of all of Poly Pop's broken mugs wrongfully re-fired in my kiln. Aghhh the creature is loose amongst the villagers! Run for your lives! Kidding , never seen it and hope to never run into it in a dark alley. Sorry there.....couldn't help myself.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:51 ]

UB

He looks like a Tiki Bob that was left in the sun too long.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:51 ]

On 2004-10-13 15:08, filslash wrote:

Sweet Christ! Well done Fils for finding a bona fide Trader Vic's rarity, but what on earth was Vic thinking when he came up with that debacle? It's horrible....What happened to the Tiki?! Was he on drugs? Had a flaky, brain-damaged ex-hippie girlfriend at the time? Overly keen on the rum testing?

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2004-10-13 15:58 ]

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 14:52 ]

The first one is Mr. Bill from SNL's Mr. Bill show from the late 70's. The one underneath is his arch-nemesis Sluggo. (That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!)

Cheers!

TTK

On 2004-10-13 21:44, filslash wrote:
aloha,

"Kilroy was here." was a big part of WWII grafitti..."

It probably appealed to returning GI's who'd scrawled it all over europe...

Ah, that's interesting. I never knew that. It was a big thing to grafitti 'Kilroy was here' in the UK during the 60's. For obvious reasons GI's didn't scrawl it in England, but anyone from Britain venturing into Europe in post war years would have seen it and brought the idea back with them.

So, it all makes sense. Vic obviously kept an eye on the GI's culture throughout his years and learned from them. The connection suddenly becomes obvious. Good call!

Trader Woody

On 2004-10-27 16:30, Trader Woody wrote:
It was a big thing to grafitti 'Kilroy was here' in the UK during the 60's.

And it was big to listen to it during the early 80's!

:lol:

Pages: 1 13 replies