Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What is the oldest tiki restaurant still in existence?

Pages: 1 2 49 replies

Now that the Bahooka has closed, I'm curious what the oldest original existing tiki restaurant is?

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2013-04-28 09:34 ]

J

I would say the Mai Kai since it's been at the same location with the same ownership/brand since the late 1950's. Damon's in Glendale, CA was established in 1937 but moved in 1990. Don the Beachcomber in Sunset Beach was originally Sam's Seafood that opened in 1960, but still a few years after the Mai Kai. Next would be the TV in Emeryville which opened in 1972 I think.

J

Also maybe the Alibi in Portland which dates back to the 1940's. They do serve food there but I think most would consider it more of a lounge. Unlike the places mentioned in my previous post, I don't think minors are allowed inside.

EDIT - Oh crap, I forgot about the Tonga Room. That place evolved from a cruise ship theme beginning in the 1940's (30's ?) so I'm not sure when it officially became "Tiki".

2nd EDIT - Wait, I think we can safely say the Bali Hai in San Diego which opened several years prior to the Mai Kai.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2013-04-28 10:15 ]

According to their website, Bali Hai opened in 1955.

The Alibi dates to 1947, and their website isn't much newer, since it lists their LaserDisc Karaoke! :D

Tonga Room dates to 1945, although they had a $1,000,000 refurbishing not too long ago. Still, they seem to be the oldest so far!

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2013-04-28 10:54 ]

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2013-04-28 10:57 ]

And both, Alibi and Tonga Room, went full Tiki relatively late in the 60s/70s. Bahooka was not the oldest, the original location had been closed long before....the same goes for Sam's Seafood/Don's, it turned Tiki down the line...

It is quite shocking to think there is no place left that is older than the Mai Kai, which opened just after Christmas 1956, so really it opened in 1957. If nobody can think of an existing Tiki temple older than 1957 (I can't at the moment) then the Mai Kai is not only the grandest, most original Tiki temple, but also the oldest still open.

Hmmmm. The big Bali Hai question is: When was it opened as The Hut (from Christian's Hut) and when did it become the Bali Hai?

The Bali Hai web site says:

"The landmark restaurant, located on the northern tip of Shelter Island, is a chic, sleek Polynesian paradise opened in 1955 by San Diego restaurateur Tom Ham. Bali Hai was the island’s first “tiki temple,” named after the song popularized by the musical “South Pacific,” and remains one of the largest remaining original tiki temples."

I remember hearing that Tom Ham was working for the Hut, and took it over when the business faltered for unknown reasons - I just don't remember when. I guess that back history is not glamorous enough, or why would the Bali Hai keep the origin of the "Goof" and the Mr. Bali Hai (?) a mystery...in a kind of incomplete grammar, as the complete paragraph goes:

"The creation of two famous tiki icons: Mr. Bali Hai, a large wood sculpture at the front entrance greeting guests, and “The Goof,” a playful and mysterious remnant that has stood guard on the roof of the restaurant for over five decades."

J

I was under the impression that the Thorton's built in Ft. Lauderdale based on the Tiki over saturation in San Diego. The Bum wrote in "Sippin' Safari"..."The brother's location of choice was San Diego, but that city already had the Luau Room at the Hotel Del Coronado and the Bali Hai on Shelter Island."

Not sure if it was literally the Bali Hai at that time. :-?

This article from September 1955 confirms that it was called the Bali Hai before the Mai Kai opened.

The Hut from 1954.

Of course Tradr Sams in San Francisco opened in the 1930s.

DC

T

Hum... the Tahitian Room in Richland WA has been open since 1952.

Though only the lounge is tropical/tiki. The restaurant decor is chinese light and, JOHN-O, it's still serving the same chinese food that it served 1/2 a century ago. In this case maybe not such a good thing. It's definitely not a tiki palace but it's always been a restaurant.

aloha, tikicoma

[ Edited by: tikicoma 2013-04-28 14:41 ]

Cool, great time frame lock for the Bali Hai, Scott.

The Tahitian doesn't exactly qualify as a "Tiki temple"....but the categorization is difficult, and perhaps this shows there are other forgotten Polynesian hideaways in remote places we're not thinking about....

Trad'r Sam San Francisco ~ 1930's

A

On 2013-04-29 08:57, Unga Bunga wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, but is Trad'r Sam a restaurant, or a bar only?

On 2013-04-29 09:42, arriano wrote:

Excuse my ignorance, but is Trad'r Sam a restaurant, or a bar only?

Ah! I skimmed the thread title too fast.
I think they have appetizers, but I wouldn't order food from there if they do/did.

It is not a TIKI bar either...but I assume the question was really aiming at what the oldest original POLYNESIAN-style joint in the US is. So Tradr Sam's is a pretty good candidate.

It's pretty funny how the Mai Kai graphic designers got the order of the headhunters backwards.

That's what I love about vintage American tiki/ polynesia interpretation; the anthropologic details were not always scrutanized nor necessarily understood.
And actually, I'd be curious to know the history of that image concept too. it seems western to me...

Interesting thread, by the way. Surprised this conversation hasn't come up till now.

A

So reviewing the comments on this thread, can we assume?:

Oldest faux-Polynesian bars/restaurants:

1. Trad'r Sam, San Francisco, CA - 1930s (bar)
  2. The Tahitian Room, Richland, WA - 1952 (restaurant/lounge)
  3. Bali Hai, San Diego, CA - 1955 (restaurant)
  4. Mai Kai, Ft. Lauderdale, FL - 1957 (restaurant)
  5. Tonga Hut, Los Angeles, CA - 1958 (bar)
HT

Fixed:

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 30, 2013 8:42 AM

On 2013-04-29 13:46, arriano wrote:
So reviewing the comments on this thread, can we assume?:

Oldest faux-Polynesian bars/restaurants:

2. The Tahitian Room, Richland, WA - 1952 (restaurant/lounge)
  3. Bali Hai, San Diego, CA - 1955 (restaurant)
  4. Mai Kai, Ft. Lauderdale, FL - 1957 (restaurant)
  5. Tonga Hut, Los Angeles, CA - 1958 (bar)

Damon's in Glendale--founded 1937.
In 1937, he sold the candy stores and founded Damon's Steak House on Central Avenue in Glendale. It soon became a favorite with those seeking a hearty steak and a great drink.

The South Seas or Polynesian décor theme began almost by accident. A single palm tree in the middle of the original Damon's inspired the gradual addition of artifacts and furnishings. The move to Brand Boulevard in 1980 made that transition even easier with the addition of the outrigger hanging above the main dining room and the beautiful murals painted by the late Bettina Byrne. Also adding to the island theme are the large salt-water aquarium and two fresh water aquariums in the bar.

Upon Loyal's passing, his son Loyal Jr., daughter Jennie and Loyal Jr.'s wife Donna took control of the restaurant operation. At the time of the move to Brand Boulevard, long time bartender Moe Elliott was promoted to manager. Moe not only had the distinction of being the senior member of the staff (since 1956) but he also created the Damon's Famous Mai Tai. Moe still visits to make sure his time honored recipe is being followed accurately. (Bartenders, beware!)

We extend an invitation to one and all to come and join the fun and enjoy a delicious and hearty meal.

A

I think the fact that Damon's current location only dates back to the 1980s means it shouldn't be included; otherwise, we'd include Don the Beachcomber, Trader Vic's, etc.

[ Edited by: arriano 2013-04-30 09:44 ]

If we are counting restaurants which changed locations or names, then Sam's Seafood (now Don the Beachcomber) would have been one of the oldest, dating back to the 1920's. There was nautical decor in there at that time...

But I guess the conversation is the oldest surviving. Shouldn't that require staying in the original location too?

Yes, the requirements should be:

Same location in classic bamboo/rattan Polynesian style decor. Nautical doesn't count: The Tonga Room was an Ocean liner in the 40s, but did not turn fully Polynesian til the 70s. Similar thing with the Alibi. WHEN did Sam's go Tiki?

I really don't know HOW MUCH Trad'r Sam's is, or was Polynesian style...The Tahitian was rather minimalist in its decor, so they are not really stellar examples of the style.

The Bali Hai had the good luck of coming from a long line of Christian's Huts.

On 2013-04-30 10:12, bigbrotiki wrote:
Yes, the requirements should be:

Same location in classic bamboo/rattan Polynesian style decor. Nautical doesn't count: The Tonga Room was an Ocean liner in the 40s, but did not turn fully Polynesian til the 70s. Similar thing with the Alibi. WHEN did Sam's go Tiki?

I really don't know HOW MUCH Trad'r Sam's is, or was Polynesian style...The Tahitian was rather minimalist in its decor, so they are not really stellar examples of the style.

The Bali Hai had the good luck of coming from a long line of Christian's Huts.

So sayeth the shepard, so sayeth the flock!

If bigbrotiki responds to your post, is that sort of the TikiCentral equivalent of having your reddit post make the front page?

On 2013-04-30 11:47, TikiTacky wrote:
If bigbrotiki responds to your post, is that sort of the TikiCentral equivalent of having your reddit post make the front page?

That or you pissed him off :lol:

I'm going to throw this out there and then duck.
What about the Bikini Lounge in Phoenix?
If the question posed is not one of grandeur but rather age and continuity.
Opened in 1947 still in operation and in same location today, seems to be in a Poly-pop style, rather than pre-tiki/coconut grove/nautical/etc.

Parts seem to date to that period,and appears that they attempted to strenghten the look with a 1966 design:

But it's a "lounge", don't know if it ever sold food, if we're looking for a "restaurant".
And of course it's currently a "dive bar", but nobody's perfect right? :wink:

Good question. Good thread.

The difficult thing with these claims of "in operation" is that it can mean anything, as in "opened as a bar (in whatever theme)" .
And bar proprietors are A.) not primarily historians B.) often not the original owners, knowing a date only from hearsay.

Yet in this case the date seems possible when looking at the history of the term:

The atoll, however, has always been called Bikini by the native Marshall Islanders, from Marshallese "Pik" meaning "surface" and "Ni" meaning "coconut". The name was popularized in the United States not only by nuclear bomb tests, but because the bikini swimsuit was named after the island in 1946. The two-piece swimsuit was introduced within days of the first nuclear test on the atoll, when the name of the island was in the news

any photos?

T
S

Here is a menu from "The Hut" aka "Christian's Hut" aka "Bali Hai".

The main thing here is it was date, 1953.

I love it when I find menus ot matchbooks ort postcards with dates!

You reminded me of the escape from reality which tiki places offered to folks so soon after World War II. Things were still a mess dealing with post-war aftermath in 1953.

We think the Bahi Hut on the Tamiami Trail in Sarasota should go on the list. Bill Johnston opened it in September 1954, and aside from a few color TVs, it hasn't changed a bit. While properly a bar, not a restuarant, there is the complimentary Ritz crackers and port cheese spread in the huge white tub---known to help the wahines take the edge off the mai-tais and sneaky tikis!

And Bikini Lounge in Phoenix, new to us, sounds like it's worth investigating...

You got that for me?
how sweet!

On 2013-07-11 19:38, mike and marie wrote:
We think the Bahi Hut on the Tamiami Trail in Sarasota should go on the list. Bill Johnston opened it in September 1954, and aside from a few color TVs, it hasn't changed a bit. While properly a bar, not a restuarant, there is the complimentary Ritz crackers and port cheese spread in the huge white tub---known to help the wahines take the edge off the mai-tais and sneaky tikis!

And Bikini Lounge in Phoenix, new to us, sounds like it's worth investigating...

My wife used to work at Mote and has very fond memories of knocking back what she recalls were very strong Mai-Tais at Bahi Hut. Are the drinks there any good?

A

OK, with new suggestions, we now have:

Oldest faux-Polynesian bars/restaurants

2. Bikini Lounge, Phoenix, AZ - 1947 (bar)
  3. The Tahitian Room, Richland, WA - 1952 (restaurant)
  4. Bahi Hut, Sarasota, FL - 1954 (bar)
  5. Bali Hai, San Diego, CA - 1955 (1953 as The Hut) (restaurant)
  6. Mai Kai, Ft. Lauderdale, FL - 1957 (restaurant)
  7. Tonga Hut, Los Angeles, CA - 1958 (bar)
S

On 2013-07-12 09:55, arriano wrote:

Mai-Kai is 1956 actually.

On 2013-07-12 10:22, Swanky wrote:
Mai-Kai is 1956 actually.

December. Only a few months after this article was published in Popular Science:

http://books.google.com/books?id=b-EDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PA166#v=onepage&q&f=false

I'm not saying they got the plans from there, but it's cool that they were published the same year. Also, Chinese ovens are the best. And the food that comes out of there at the Mai Kai is truely Maita'i roa ae!

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-07-12 10:45 ]

My wife used to work at Mote and has very fond memories of knocking back what she recalls were very strong Mai-Tais at Bahi Hut. Are the drinks there any good?

Yes, and the mai-tais are strong. Limit two, no exceptions. The other signature drink is the sneaky tiki. We have the recipes somewhere.

On 2013-07-12 10:44, Hale Tiki wrote:
December. Only a few months after this article was published in Popular Science:

http://books.google.com/books?id=b-EDAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PA166#v=onepage&q&f=false

I'm not saying they got the plans from there,...

Victor "Trader Vic" Bergeron filed for a patent in February, 1952, for a pretty similar looking oven.

J

On 2013-07-12 09:55, arriano wrote:

I really think that the Alibi and Tonga Room need to be on the list. They might not have been Poly-Pop when they originally opened but by the late 1940's they were Pre-Tiki "Polynesian".

The faux-Polynesian angle is a tough one (as opposed to full on Tiki-Style). The Pre-Tiki aesthetic was so pervasive (generic?) that there's probably lots of surviving places in Podunk USA which are off the Tiki Central radar.

EDIT - I just read Bigbro's comments about the Alibi and Tonga Room. Were they really that late (1970's) to the game ? I always considered them to be in the Pre-Tiki category.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2013-07-13 09:30 ]

Minnie's in Modesto CA was established in 1954 by the legendary tiki restaurant developer and owner Hop Louie. Mr Louie is probably most famous for creating the Stockton Islander.

JOHN-O, take a look at my post near the bottom of this page of the Tonga Room thread in Locating Tiki, complete with pictures. It became a nautical restaurant around 1945, a Hawaiian/Tropical restaurant in 1953 and a Polynesian Palace in 1967 (and refreshed a few years ago).

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23662&forum=2&start=105&113

There is a detailed history here:

http://sanfrancisco.grubstreet.com/20090915_tongaupdate.jpg.pdf

Limbo Lizard, that 1952 Trader Vic Chinese Oven patent was specifically for enhanced design elements to prevent grease fires. The Trader originated the use Of Chinese Ovens in Tropical/Polynesian restaurants starting in the late 1930's.

Great archeology. Great thread.

Happy I can say that I've been to one of the oldest, and that I live close by. Long live the Mai Kai. :)

On 2013-04-28 09:33, TikiTacky wrote:
Now that the Bahooka has closed, I'm curious what the oldest original existing tiki restaurant is?

Would Trader Vics, aka Hinky Dinks qualify?

Opened in 1934, subsequently renamed Trader Vics and, yes, it has expanded, so while the physical location no longer exists the chain does. Indeed, it is doubtful that a 1934 restaurant could satisfy current building codes, but the original location is not a Trader Vics.

Pages: 1 2 49 replies