Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Bamboo Straws

Pages: 1 3 replies

T

These would look awesome in a tiki drink:
http://www.perpetualkid.com/bamboo-tiki-paper-straws.aspx

Those look cool and they are eco-friendly since they are paper instead of single use plastic.

I have a ton of 'em (in laws live in Bali). On paper they seem neat but they are so big (length and width) that they actually dominate most of my mugs. That in itself is a big whoop but then there's the taste. They remind me of those Sahara dry wood "spoons" you get with the ice milk at the baseball stadiums (or used to?). Also, the ID is pretty large that its like sucking through a piece of PVC. Also, also, also, I never know if they're clean on the inside. I'll stick to my reusable, flamboyant circus striped poly straws thank you.

EDIT: I actually just looked at your link. I'm talking about something different. I have actual bamboo straws not those paper ones. Oops

[ Edited by: jingleheimerschmidt 2013-05-07 14:27 ]

We have those straws featured in the link. They do look great but I find that they start to get weak and wilty halfway through a drink. Youll find that you have to work harder to suck up your drink the longer the straw sits in there. Also, because its paper, it doesn't do a great job of stirring your ice around or muddling that last bit of mint at the bottom of your glass. Having said all that, they really do look fantastic so i use them as more of a garnish. A little too tall for a typical Mai Tai, better in a mug.

Pages: 1 3 replies