Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Plunge Pirate Saloon -- Revisited--

Pages: 1 13 replies

J

HI, So, I decided to remodel my poolside Tiki bar. This poolhouse is small and doubles as a changing room for guests and pool eqiupment storage. Here are a few shots. I added bamboo to the walls, after finishing them, some thatch to the top at the ceiling, some nice shelves instead of rag-tag shelving, different lighting for the joint, and I was able to add some hidden rope lights for some nice lighting of my Tiki mugs and liquor shelves. I still kept the land shark surfboard. I added a real surfboard to the outside. ( I live in MN so there is NO surfing here..surfboards are hard to come by) I found a cool skateboard with Primo Beer painted on. Has a built-in bottle opener too! Enjoy! Comments-Ideas welcome (even tho I am broke right now) :)

My home-made bar caddy.

I am seeing some very good work there, but where are the Tikis!
it's a Tiki Bar...right?

J

I got a couple masks inside, and a larger Tiki one on the way for outside.

Love the MCM roof overhang . Let me ask you where/when did you get those two cobalt blue Marquesan mugs on the shelf? Any markings on them? You can pm me if you'd like.

You have a neat structure there! I like the arbor roof extension to define the space but not end up with a structure that dominates the entire area...which is something I have been struggling to accomplish with my design. Thanks for posting it gave me some different ideas on my bar. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more pics and dimensions. Also it looks like you have some sort of way to shutter the bar?

J

No problem Diablo, the cobalt blue mugs are from Tiki Farm, on the back of each is the "Mallory" surfboard logo. I found these a few years back on ebay.
The basic dimensions of the structure are 14 x 6. The front opening lifts up by cable and pulleys. It is held in the open position by a weight on the other end of the cable. I have the weight hidden in the wall. The opening used to be split in the middle and kind of opened like barn doors. We didn;t like it that way because the doors took up so much room when they were open. They swung inside when they were open. This way the door is up and out of the way. Pretty simple, 4 pulleys and 10 feet of cable.

[ Edited by: jimbo020 2013-05-06 13:44 ]

[ Edited by: jimbo020 2013-05-06 13:46 ]

J

Here are a few pics from a few years ago when I built it.
The rough opening for the main bar is 4 x 4. The rough openings for the small doors are 16". Hard to find doors that narrow, but any bigger would have been too big.
The little windows I picked up at a local builders supply place where they deal with used and new building materials. The roof is pitched (if I remember right) 1 foot higher in front that the back, and we finished the roof with cedar shake shingles.

J

The pully and weight system sounds cool. Got any pics or a diagram?

Looking good...love the skateboard. I am sure your Tiki will be very happy there...post pics when ya get him installed.

J

No, I did not snap any pics of the cable before I sealed the wall up. Guess I didn't think of it. I'll see if I can come up with a diagram or something....

T

"My home-made bar caddy."

You made one.

J

yes tikiskip! well, sort of... I had 6 weeks this winter when I was sitting at home after back surgery. I had it apart and put together many times... It turnout out "ok". Just don't look too close.. :)
I was unable to achieve the same nice finished look as your original John. :/

[ Edited by: jimbo020 2013-05-20 20:01 ]

[ Edited by: jimbo020 2013-05-20 20:05 ]

awesome!!!!!!

I wish I had the know how to build this. I like the slope roof aspect and know this is the design I want for my backyard.

Pages: 1 13 replies