Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Searching for old Hawaiian song, lyrics "get away, get away, HEE"

Pages: 1 6 replies

K

I know this sounds crazy, and is just a shot in the dark... My mom used to play Hawaiian music back in the 50's/early 60's. We remember her at the kitchen sink, with a song that sounded like a chant sung by a group of Hawaiian men. Part of the words chanted were "'git away 'git away, HEE." It scared the pants off our friend who thought Mom was yelling at her. :) It might be similar to the Hawaiian War Chant, which I do have. Or maybe it is another version of it sung by someone I don't have. Music I DO have from that time is "Song of Hawaii" by Lani McIntire, and Songs of the South Seas, by Ray Kinney. Does this ring a bell with anyone? Thanks!

Koffend, welcome to Tiki Central. I know the feeling, I spent several years (not full time of course :D ) searching for some obscure song from my youth before I finally found it. There's a great knowledge base here, hopefully someone will be able to help you.

Of course the first thing that pops in my mind is "They're Coming to Take Me Away HAHA", but that would certainly NOT be a hawaiian song.

Dale

K

Well, even if I don't find the answer, I found this interesting board! I DO remember "They're coming to take me away", playing late night on the Dr. Demento show on WXRT in Chicago, was it? And MadDog, I really love the Pirate ship!

K

I think I might have your song. I believe it's "Hooheno Keia No Beaute" also known as "The Beauty Hula" as performed by Webley Edward's Hawaii Calls Orchestra & Chorus from the LP "Fire Goddess" I can send you an MP3 file of it.

Hmm... I don't think that one is it, Kaiwaza (although, I haven't heard the version you mentioned, so I admit I could be mistaken).

From the original description my mind veered toward Tahitian, they have a good number of fast paced songs that are chant like. I checked through my mp3s of Nat Mara and Augie Goupil to see if I could find something. I came up with a couple that were close; "Papio", and "Manue," but I think it may be "Papoa" as it ends with what could be mistaken as "get away" sung a couple/few times.

I couldn't find any online examples of "Manue" or "Papoa" on YouTube, but the Augie Goupil versions of the songs can be found here (just type in 'Augie Goupil').

Hope that helps.

Bear

[ Edited by: Bruddah Bear 2013-05-11 19:43 ]

K

So, Beauty Hula comes the closest, especially when the version is sung as more of a war chant than a sweet melody. But still not the song I remember. Thanks for the suggestions...

Pages: 1 6 replies