Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Aloha Shirts by American Apparel

Pages: 1 22 replies

Just saw these on the American Apparel site. Not having seen them before I'm assuming that this is the first time they've done them.

Tropical Short Sleeve Button-Up with Pocket
http://store.americanapparel.net/product/?productId=rsacp403t

They have 39 different fabric patterns. They're not cheap at $56, but they're all new construction and made in the U.S.

Old, not new shirts!

On 2013-05-11 00:31, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Old, not new shirts!

Hadn't seen them before and searched the boards and hadn't seen a previous post, so I thought they were worth a mention.

Mention all you want, but old is better :)
just saying.....old school

HT

It's ok. Eventually new shirts will be old.

These patterns are actually better than most of the modern CRAP that people put out these days. If I see one more Woody/Beach Ball/Palm Tree/Vespa pattern, I'll throw up in my own mouth. In the past few days, I have been to many stores, and looked through easily over 100 different "Hawaiian" shirts, and not a one was worth buying. So these are ahead of the pack for modern shirts. Not at $56 dollars, but maybe if they get clearanced out for cheap.

That being said, is it just me, or does anyone else want to punch every "model" of those shirts in the face for being a trite little smug sh!t?

For my money these Campia Moda print shirts at Macy's for between $18 and $25 on sale are a much better deal. Some are rayon and others are cotton. They even match the print on the pocket with the background print of the shirt, something the American Apparel shirts don't bother to do. Macy's has other decent Campia Moda tropical prints in the store and change the patterns every season.

http://www1.macys.com/search/index.ognc?SearchTarget=*&cm_sp=navigation-_-top_nav-_-search&Keyword=Campia+moda&KEYWORD_GO_BUTTON.x=0&KEYWORD_GO_BUTTON.y=0&KEYWORD_GO_BUTTON=KEYWORD_GO_BUTTON

HT

I was there yesterday. Kind of not impressed. I liked the inside out red pattern. The quality seemed nice, but they were made from an odd pattern. The sleeves were too long and too wide. I could fit two arms in a single sleeve. It could be better on the smaller sizes, or even for a bigger guy wearing an XL, but for me, it just fit really weird. Even the large, the sleeves seemed too wide/long.

HT

So, I guess...try them on, they may work for you.

HT

So I got a chance to look through the fabrics, and recognized quite a few of them from this company:

http://islandshawaiianfabric.com/

I have a closet full (Insert your joke here) of Vintage Aloha shirts
and maybe 6 newer shirts, funny thing is all of the newer shirts are falling apart
or look faded & worn, But my vintage shirts are still looking pretty nice
and they are from the 50s & 60s........so.....Old school!

HT

No doubt there, ATP. They really don't make things like you used to. I have a vintage shirt collection. I call it my retirement plan. Close to 1,000 shirts at this point. Hawaiian, Western, Dress, Lounge, et cetera. And every time I find a 40+ year old shirt, I'm amazed that it looks brand new, or barely worn. The other day when I was shopping for $50+ pairs of linen pants and was amazed at the poor quality construction. Old school FTW.

Digging the American Apparel patterns because many have LOUD colors - like Aloha/tropical SHOULD have. For years now the department store chains and Tommy Bahamas have been going the safe route of muted prints....boring!

T

On 2013-05-11 08:40, Hale Tiki wrote:
I was there yesterday. Kind of not impressed. I liked the inside out red pattern. The quality seemed nice, but they were made from an odd pattern. The sleeves were too long and too wide. I could fit two arms in a single sleeve. It could be better on the smaller sizes, or even for a bigger guy wearing an XL, but for me, it just fit really weird. Even the large, the sleeves seemed too wide/long.

Hey Hale Tiki... sorry, lost the focus of your reply... did you try the Macy's shirts, or the American Apparel? I see Macy's has an inside-out red shirt, if that's the one you were referencing.

I really like the diversity of the patterns for the American Apparel shirts... would be great if they had a good fit too... I like how they have floral AND tapa patterns, and even tapa-inspired patterns, so there's lots from which to choose!

And great to see American Apparel going retro in the right direction... they started out very 70's, which was great, and then the started moving towards 80's fashion, which was dreadful then, and just as much of an eyesore now... glad to see them tapping into tiki culture patterns!

HT

Tobunga. It was the Macy's shirts. The inside out one I liked, and looked good in person, but had a weird fit. The other ones were very...meh. They had a large selection at Kohl's as well, but I can best describe them all as something that a middle aged man would wear, if he wasn't interested in tiki...and wasn't a very interesting person.

I like the American Apparel Shirts. They use fabric from an actual Hawaiian fabric seller. Located in CA, but they're sourcing from authentic sources. Now, assuming that the shirts are made in California, they're probably decent quality. I've got some shirts from them in the past and have been impressed with the quality. I don't think it's up to the standards of yesteryear, but they're as close as you're going to get these days.

I'll have to check them out in person this week.

On 2013-05-12 05:12, Hale Tiki wrote:
No doubt there, ATP. They really don't make things like you used to. I have a vintage shirt collection. I call it my retirement plan. Close to 1,000 shirts at this point. Hawaiian, Western, Dress, Lounge, et cetera. And every time I find a 40+ year old shirt, I'm amazed that it looks brand new, or barely worn.

Two words.....Bastard & Respect!

HT

On 2013-05-12 23:57, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

On 2013-05-12 05:12, Hale Tiki wrote:
No doubt there, ATP. They really don't make things like you used to. I have a vintage shirt collection. I call it my retirement plan. Close to 1,000 shirts at this point. Hawaiian, Western, Dress, Lounge, et cetera. And every time I find a 40+ year old shirt, I'm amazed that it looks brand new, or barely worn.

Two words.....Bastard & Respect!

That elicited a mighty chortle, ATP.

On 2013-05-12 13:42, bigbrotiki wrote:
Digging the American Apparel patterns because many have LOUD colors - like Aloha/tropical SHOULD have. For years now the department store chains and Tommy Bahamas have been going the safe route of muted prints....boring!

They sourced the fabric right. I've ordered from them (the fabric company) before, and have a lava lava or two made from their stuff.

Poly-Cotton Blend!!!

On 2013-05-13 12:47, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Poly-Cotton Blend!!!

Riboflavin flavored, non-carbonated, polyunsaturated blood!

On 2013-05-13 12:55, Hale Tiki wrote:

On 2013-05-13 12:47, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Poly-Cotton Blend!!!

Riboflavin flavored, non-carbonated, polyunsaturated blood!

Worst name for a cocktail, ever!

On 2013-05-13 08:38, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
Bigbro, you mean this "Quiet Village" print isn't loud enough for you?

http://m.macys.com/shop/product/campia-moda-shirt-palm-tree-print-woven-shirt?ID=787550&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

Nope. All done in "tasteful" colors.

American Apparel is also using some of the same fabrics for shorts. $44.00 unisex, like the shirts.

http://store.americanapparel.net/product/?productId=rsa0420tw

Pages: 1 22 replies