Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Kustom Tiki Mugs

Pages: 1 16 replies

I'd like to present my first attempt at a tiki mug using the valuable info on this site!

I have to say I'm rather impressed as to how it turned out especially from my first 2 part mold.

I've already started making the master for the 2nd mug

Sam (from the UK)

HT

Hey! Congrats! They look great, and it's wonderful that TC was able to help you!

On your next sculpt, perhaps make the details a little deeper. It'll help the features pop.

EDIT: Looking forward to seeing your progress!

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-05-20 09:28 ]

BT

I agree, it is a nice mug though. You can also try a 'quick sculpt' of each on as they come out just to sharpen them up a bit (like make the mold with no splits between teeth, then as they come out do a quick carve between teeth).

i've never done slip casting but i assume that might be easier than having too much detail which probably makes it hard to get out of the mold.

I like to use stains a lot to bring out details too. maybe staining them, wiping them down, the using the translucent glazes would be enough to make the details pop more.

Let's see the next one :D

Congrats on your first mugs! Great job. I'm looking forward to your next one.

I agree about the details. I have never made a mug (yet) but I'm thinking perhaps you could touch up the details after you remove them from the mold. Looks like a good sculpt, just needs a bit of a punch.

Your glazes are fun. I really like the first two.

Keep up the good work.

• Dale

For a 1st attempt I am very impressed but agree that deeper carving would make the details pop! Keep the mugs coming, can't wait to see what you do next. :)

M
mp posted on Wed, May 22, 2013 11:28 PM

Looking good KustomTiki! Lets see some more.

Cheers for the comments guys

The shallow features was really to make sure it came out of the 2 piece mold OK.

The next one will have more detail and will probably have to be a 4 piece mold.

Those who haven't made a mug yet- what are you waiting for!

kustom_tiki recently MadDogMike asked me if it was reasonable to spend 30 minutes cleaning up a mug before firing for the first time. The answer was that it depends on the mug but that my routine is 1 to 1 1/2 hours per mug. The fun part is during clean up and fine tuning you can use tools to deepen it without worrying about undercuts. The Sacramento crawl mug that I'm doing now has no nostrils until I carve them in. This made the mold easier to make. You have a great tiki and if you do the work after casting to bring out the detail you may find it's fun and you can vary each one too or add pieces. I'll enjoy watching you work. Wendy

Your 5th post and you've already got pics of finished mugs ~ that's putting your money where your mouth is! :lol:
Great mugs Kustom, keep posting!

HT

Looking forward to the next one.

And to answer your question, too busy making other things, and no kiln!

Nice job kustom_tiki! I may very well follow your lead and try some sculpting soon!

HT

Again, great first attempt, man. I hope you're plugging away at your next one!

2nd mold is in progress!

I'll get some pictures up later

New mugs are done!

Pleased with the result.

Still just using a 2 piece mold

BK

I'm digging those! Nice work!

Z

Nicely done! If only I was in the neighborhood to ogle them in person!
~Zero

I love the Moai. Well done sir!

Pages: 1 16 replies