Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Night at the Egyptian Theater-June 1st, 2013 Hollywood-Hell's Half Acre

Pages: 1 3 replies

http://www.americancinemathequecalendar.com/content/tiki-night-hell%E2%80%99s-half-acre

Tiki Night: HELL’S HALF ACRE
The exoticism of the South Seas blows through Hollywood with the Cinematheque's annual Tiki Night!

Starting at 5:00 PM, King Kukulele & The Friki Tikis and the Polynesian Paradise Dancers will perform in the courtyard, where you can also enjoy tiki vendors and a no-host bar with your favorite Polynesian drinks.

At 7:30PM, join us in the theatre auditorium for a slide show and a 50th Anniversary tribute to the Enchanted Tiki Room by Bob Baker's Marionettes, followed by a screening of HELL'S HALF ACRE.

HELL’S HALF ACRE
1954, Republic (Kit Parker), 91 min, USA, Dir: John Auer
Filmed in the notorious red light district of Honolulu, this Auer/Fisher concoction is a delirious excursion into low-life noir. Evelyn Keyes becomes a taxi dancer to hunt for her missing G.I. husband Wendell Corey, who she believes is alive and writing hit songs in Hawaii! Little does she know he’s more than a simple songsmith - he’s also a gangster vying with Philip Ahn for control of the island’s vice rackets. Toss the sultry and statuesque Marie Windsor into the mix, and it’s pulp nirvana. Imagine film noir with a slack-key guitar soundtrack ... as good as trashy B-movies get!

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-05-26 12:42 ]

Bump

T

Aloha everybody!

I just became a late addition to the vendor lineup for this event!

In addition to my usual ceramic nuttiness and such, I just came up with some interesting greeting cards, fashioned out of colored and textured papers and a cocktail toothpick that create a tiki holding a torch...

This inspired me to decide to feature a bunch of the cards I've created over the past few years, lotsa postcards, greeting cards... there's birthday cards, valentines cards, christmas cards, hanukkah cards and more!

Sounds like this is going to be loads of fun... Can't go wrong with King Kukulele! And what the heck will an Enchanted Tiki Room tribute by Bob Baker's Marionettes be like? Gotta find out!

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammit. I'm just seeing this now.

The Tiki Night at the Egyptian is such as good event, but it's never promoted until almost the last minute. :(
After last year's event, I even offered to help with promotions for this year... but obviously missed the boat entirely.
Oh well, here's to next year's event!

Pages: 1 3 replies