Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Summer Tiki reading?

Pages: 1 16 replies

T

Almost ready for my Kauai r&r trip. Any suggestions for books to take on Kindle? I thought about Kon-tiki, but might be too dry. I need to laugh

Mai Tai One On and Two To Mango

Fun mysteries set in Hawaii. Very light reading but some good laughes

HT
HT

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=37265&forum=12&start=0

Also, there's one that premiered at Tiki Oasis 2012, I really dug the summary. The author was there to sign it. I wish I could remember.

Anything by Kafka......

HT

Or Camus...

HT

In the Penal Colony by Khafka and The Skull by Philip K Dick. Oh, and the Short, Happy Life of the Little Brown Oxford.

[ Edited by: Hale Tiki 2013-06-02 16:17 ]

Yes....Yes...maybe "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" by PKD
or "The 10th Victim by Robert Sheckley
The Demolished Man, by Alfred Bester

I need my Reading Rainbow!

I just finished Kaua'i Me a River. The Everett Peacock books are fun. I've just begun In the Middle of the Third Planet's Most Wonderful Ocean. My husband read Mai Tai One On and Two To Mango and they are loaded on my iPad, but I have not started either yet. Thanks for the other suggestions, I'll check them out too. We are going to Kauai in September ourselves.

T

Not a laugh, but good reads. Victoria Nalalani Kneubuhl's Murder Leaves its Mark and Murder Casts a Shadow.Both set in 1930's Honolulu are well written, period mystery's and are available for Kindle. Glen Grant's McDougal's Honolulu Mysteries isn't a novel, more like short stories, supposedly based on true stories, but not on Kindle. Where on Kauai you staying?

aloha tikicoma

T

Many mahalos!!! I read the Kindle sample of Mai Tai One On, and that's a winner!

T

Check out Gilligan's Wake. It's a highly rated book based on the characters from Gilligan's Island. I haven't read it yet myself (I literally just ordered a copy), but it looks like fun. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilligan's_Wake

Tim Dorsey, whose protagonist is a walking museum of vintage Florida trivia. Also, several of his books feature key scenes inside the Mai-Kai, Bahia Cabana, etc.

I just finished reading Our Man In Havana which I loved. I never really got into fiction and wasn't familiar with Graham Greene before Potions of the Caribbean made mention of him and that book specifically. Now I want more like this. Seems most everything Greene wrote was adapted into a movie so presumably they're all good. What would be the next few to read from him?

And what about Hemingway? Where to start? I've honestly never read a word he's written. Yes, I know, shameful.

I just ordered a vintage copy of Kon-Tiki off of ebay and plan to follow it up with Aku-Aku. I know, I'm behind the times.

Other books on my list that I've seen recommended on TC are Michener's South Pacific and Palisades Park by Alan Brennert.

Just looking for anything fun to read that in some way involves cocktails, tiki, the caribbean, south pacific, adventure, etc...

EDIT: Not sure if this post was better here or here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=16775&forum=6&start=15&hilite=reading

Just didn't want to start another book thread. Feel free to move this if Beyond Tiki is more appropriate.

[ Edited by: mikehooker 2016-07-25 14:10 ]

I probably not providing anything that hasn't already been mentioned in one of the threads, but just in case...

I liked Michener's Hawaii a lot, especially the early parts.

In case you didn't know, Alan Brennert also has two books set in Hawaii: Honolulu (which I haven't gotten to yet) and Molokai (which I thought was very good, though not exactly in the 'light' or 'fun' category.) I liked Palisades Park, too.

As mentioned above, the Tiki Goddess Mystery books by Jill Marie Landis (beginning with Mai Tai One On) are really fun with recognizable, real-life Hawaii locations (mostly Kauai.) There are a few writers with series set in Hawaii, some also mentioned above.

Island of the Sequined Love Nun by Christopher Moore is another fun one.

I liked Kapu by Victoria Heckman, a little mystery set in ancient Hawaii.

I finally started (and am enjoying!) Ritual of the Savage by Jay Strongman.

For non-fiction, And a Bottle of Rum: A History of the New World in Ten Cocktails by Wayne Curtis is informative and enjoyable.

[ Edited by: bamalamalu 2016-07-29 10:22 ]

Tom Neale's "An Island to Oneself" by a New Zealander who, in 1952, decided that even Rarotonga was too Westernised for him and went off to live by himself on the island of Suwarrow (Suvarov) in the outer Cook Islands. He spent 16 years there in total.

PDF download:

http://www.privateislandsonline.com/an_island_to_oneself.pdf

Pages: 1 16 replies