Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Pacific Horizons/Melanesian Art, SDMA, now thru 1/1/2015, San Diego

Pages: 1 7 replies

Pacific Horizons
Melanesian Art from the Valerie Franklin Collection
Now through January 01, 2015
Featuring objects from the 19th century to the middle of the 20th that are on loan to the Museum from one of the most prestigious private collections in the United States, this exhibition serves as an introduction to the art and culture of one of the Pacific’s most dynamic regions.

Covering one-third of the earth’s surface and touching the shores of five continents, the Pacific Ocean contains thousands of inhabited islands that are commonly divided into several regions based on language, cultural distinctions, and historical connections. As a cultural area, the Pacific is commonly divided into three sub-regions: Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia.

This ongoing exhibition explores the artistic achievements of Melanesia, where art connects people with land, nature spirits, ancestors and each other to create strong and vibrant communities. In this region, each time art is created and displayed social relations and cultural understandings are refined and strengthened. Pacific Horizons: Melanesian Art from the Valerie Franklin Collection presents a startling variety of visual forms and intellectual models and allows visitors to experience some of the finest art created in Melanesia—an art that remains one of the least understood in the world.

H

I would love to go to this exhibition, hopefully I can. Surprised no one else is interested.

I didn't say I wasn't interested :D Definitely on my list of things to do this summer.

Thanks for posting. I'll definitely check it out.

T

Tiki Shaker, thanks for posting. I'm not sure how I missed hearing about this exhibit (on SDMA's mailing list), but thanks for bringing it to all of our attention.

I was going to go this week but the museum tells me the exhibit has been "taken down until further notice" :(

On 2013-07-22 12:30, MadDogMike wrote:
I was going to go this week but the museum tells me the exhibit has been "taken down until further notice" :(

Damn, is it already Jan 2015??

Did they say why, Mike?

No, just that it had been replaced by a photography exhibit. The person I was talking to didn't seem to be the brightest crayon in the box so I didn't press them for details.

Pages: 1 7 replies