Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Anyone recognize this Mug? Kinda Surfing Bastardish

Pages: 1 19 replies

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

[ Edited by: KokomoTikiBar&Grill on 2003-07-07 08:26 ]

M

Too cool...never seen it before.

Matt

Oh my god! it's the bride of Seamus' mug. Seriously though, it looks hand-made and Mayan. Not tiki.

R

On 2003-07-07 09:36, thechikitiki wrote:
Oh my god! it's the bride of Seamus' mug. Seriously though, it looks hand-made and Mayan. Not tiki.

Well I don't recognize it as Mayan, nor any particular style I have seen through the Americas, but it certainly looks Meso-American. I don't know as I would go so far to that it is "not tiki", but I would say it certainly is not a poly-pop piece :wink:

I should start a thread "What is Tiki?" as I have LOTS of cool stuff from the Pan-Pacific region that many might be consider Tiki, but is not of the poly pop genre. I mean if Easter Island is Tiki, is Peruvian/Inca? Wasn't that what Thor H. tried to prove?

On 2003-07-07 10:37, Rattiki wrote:
I don't know as I would go so far to that it is "not tiki", but I would say it certainly is not a poly-pop piece :wink:

What do you mean by that? Its not from the Poly Pop era and its clearly not any style or form from the South Pacific.

As such, I have to agree with Chiki Tiki -- this piece is not tiki.

Pretty freaking cool though ehhh?

Chichimeca,tolteca, totonaca,olmeca,maya,mixteca,azteca, Zapotecas, huastecas, coras, tarascos, otomi, or regular ol TJ artisan. I likes them all, but ain't Tiki IMHO.
[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2003-07-07 11:33 ]

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2003-07-07 11:35 ]

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2003-07-07 11:36 ]

Speaking of TJ Artisan, I've got quite a few of those "masterpieces" in my collection --

Ceramic Surfing Monkey (with the blue striped swimsuit)
Ceramic Hamburger (3 decker too - very rare)
Ceramic Elvis Bust (in the pink high collar shirt)

I love em all -- but they ain't tiki!

What the fuck is Chiki saying?

So what is the Tiki Bob Mug? That aint Tiki, neither is half the Trader Vic Mugs. Coconuts, Hula Mugs, Drunken Men on barrels, etc... those aint Tiki. Who makes the rules? I bet that anyone of you who came across this mug would snatch it up in a second and start screaming TIKI TIKI TIKI!

T

No, I jus't don't care for it. It doesn't ping my Tiki radar. Some things 'ping', and others just 'pong'.

(You can look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls!)

As for Tiki Bob, he is a great modern take on the tiki mug - a 50's abstraction of the tiki aesthetic. He is as close to pure perfection as I have ever seen. So simple, so clean, yet so undeniably tiki. PING! PING PING PING PING!!!

D

Kokomo you seem upset that this piece isn't getting the TC Tiki 5 star approval rating, really what do you care. YOU obviously liked it. Isn't that all that matters? "Tiki" or not?

L
laney posted on Mon, Jul 7, 2003 1:53 PM

On 2003-07-07 13:25, DawnTiki wrote:
Kokomo you seem upset that this piece isn't getting the TC Tiki 5 star approval rating, really what do you care. YOU obviously liked it. Isn't that all that matters? "Tiki" or not?

Not if he's trying to SELL it to us!

R

*On 2003-07-07 10:46, PolynesianPop wrote:*What do you mean by that? Its not from the Poly Pop era and its clearly not any style or form from the South Pacific.

As such, I have to agree with Chiki Tiki -- this piece is not tiki.

On 2003-07-07 11:32, thechikitiki wrote:
Chichimeca,tolteca, totonaca,olmeca,maya,mixteca,azteca, Zapotecas, huastecas, coras, tarascos, otomi, or regular ol TJ artisan. I likes them all, but ain't Tiki IMHO.

This is the response I was looking for! :wink: So address the statement I also made ""What is Tiki?" as I have LOTS of cool stuff from the Pan-Pacific region that many might be consider Tiki, but is not of the poly pop genre. I mean if Easter Island is Tiki, is Peruvian/Inca? Wasn't that what Thor H. tried to prove?"

Maybe some of us have a distaste of Mexican or Central American tribal work (or African) being flogged as 'Tiki', and I can understand that. As thechikitiki was saying "I likes them all, but ain't Tiki IMHO", I too know and love it well (and have a collection of many OLD pieces), but what about Tuhacan & Inca from Peru, Chile and Bolivia? (as this piece looks as it might be) What and where is the line drawn? When is it Poly culture and not Meso-American? I have some Pre-Colombian Tuhacan pieces I bet I could debate as being 'Tiki', and when Indonesian & New Guinea long houses and other Austral/Asian things have been CLEARLY used in the poly-pop genre, who is to truly say?

BTW I like a good debate, and I am not looking to have a flame war, I just want to stir this idea around to see what comes of it on a positive level. :)

R

On 2003-07-07 13:09, tikifish wrote:
No, I jus't don't care for it. It doesn't ping my Tiki radar. Some things 'ping', and others just 'pong'.

(You can look that up in your Funk and Wagnalls!)

As for Tiki Bob, he is a great modern take on the tiki mug - a 50's abstraction of the tiki aesthetic. He is as close to pure perfection as I have ever seen. So simple, so clean, yet so undeniably tiki. PING! PING PING PING PING!!!

I respect what you're saying, but if you slapped a nice coat of emerald green glaze on that puppy how far away would it be from this?

Damn it! How do you write this HTML code?! :P

[ Edited by: Rattiki on 2003-07-08 07:21 ]

On 2003-07-08 06:59, Rattiki wrote:
So address the statement I also made ""What is Tiki?" as I have LOTS of cool stuff from the Pan-Pacific region that many might be consider Tiki, but is not of the poly pop genre. I mean if Easter Island is Tiki, is Peruvian/Inca? Wasn't that what Thor H. tried to prove?"

Maybe some of us have a distaste of Mexican or Central American tribal work, but what about Tuhacan & Inca from Peru, Chile and Bolivia? (as this piece looks as it might be) What and where is the line drawn? When is it Poly culture and not Meso-American? I have some Pre-Colombian Tuhacan pieces I bet I could debate as being 'Tiki', and when Indonesian & New Guinea long houses and other Austral/Asian things have been CLEARLY used in the poly-pop genre, who is to truly say?

Well, first off, regonize that Tiki is a culmination of forms, art and carvings from the South Pacific and parts of the Far East. If you study the history of the Polynesian Pop era, you'll find that it grew from the idea of escapism. It proliferated after the second World War, when a great number of people had "discovered" and returned from exotic South Pacific islands.

So why are some forms of the Far East included? At the time, Chinese food was still considered an exotic meal. As such, many Chinese restaurants took on the South Pacific theme and tikified their restaurants to cater those that desired the mystery and escapism popular to that era. Many items from the Far East were combined with items from the South Pacific. Combine this with naivete and their enthusiasm to capture an exotic environment and you get Tiki.

And so, if Tiki is a culmination things from the South Pacific and some things from the Far East, carvings and such from Central and South America are not tiki. They are simply not of this genre, not of the South Pacific and certainly not of the Polynesian Pop movement.

I mean if Easter Island is Tiki, is Peruvian/Inca? Wasn't that what Thor H. tried to prove?"

Again, what do you mean by this? Thor Heyerdahl sought to prove his theory that Easter Islanders were from South America via his Kon Tiki expedition. However, that doesn't mean that things from South America are considered Tiki too. Items from Easter Island were used in popular establishments during the Polynesian Pop era because Easter Island is actually in the South Pacific and the Moai invoke the mysteriousness popular in that movement. Note that recent DNA study has also shown that the descendents of Easter Island were Polynesian. You can read about it here and here.

I have some Pre-Colombian Tuhacan pieces I bet I could debate as being 'Tiki'

But how? Because of the way it looks? Don't be misled into thinking something is Tiki simply because its a tribal carving of some sort. I too, don't want to start a flame war but I personally believe most people on this board would agree that if its NOT from the Polynesian Pop movement, NOT from the South Pacific but IS from Central/South America or even Africa it's simply not Tiki.

Here is an article written by our very own DaneTiki that gives a good overview of what Tiki is:

http://www.mndaily.com/article.php?id=4614

Also, check out the Book of Tiki by Sven Kirsten (bigbrotiki on this board). Its a great book that encompasses what the Polynesian Pop movement was all about.

http://www.bookoftiki.com

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-07-08 09:01 ]

T

I myself am looking forward to the Urban Tiki Sombrero.

R

Well actually I have read Sven's book.

Being 4th generation Navy brat raised as a kid living in such places as Pearl, Guam and Okinawa. I can appreciate the romanticism of the region. I am also a chef by trade and trained in San Francisco, so I understand the cultural culinary developments in this country, especially in the Pacific region (I also ran restaurants in Australia).

What I didn't know is that Thor H's. theory had been disproven, so that makes a difference when looking at the similarities that there seem to be between mesoamerican artifacts and Polynesian. Had this not been the case, I think my question would be quite valid.

Anyway, sorry to ruffle your feathers. I am now off to the Philippines and Bali as I write this. So maybe I will find some Tiki there :P

On 2003-07-08 11:16, Rattiki wrote:
Anyway, sorry to ruffle your feathers. I am now off to the Philippines and Bali as I write this. So maybe I will find some Tiki there :P

Rattiki, you didn't ruffle my feathers at all. Sometimes my posts seem strong - I just have an aggressive way of talking (which sometimes doesn't translate well when I write to this board).

Enjoy your trip to the Islands. Take lots of pics for us to see! :)

J
jtiki posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2003 12:08 PM

It looks a lot like the Hukilau mug to me.

http://www.thehukilau.com/stuff.htm#shag

Pages: 1 19 replies