Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

How do you display your tiki mugs?

Pages: 1 29 replies

As our collection grows, my wife and I are trying to come up with a nice way to display our tiki mugs. I'd love to hear and see how others are displaying their mugs. It's also a nice way to see other awesome collections. :wink:

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2013-06-15 11:34 ]

I don't have a nice, dedicated display area yet but every time I'm at the pet store buying dog food I look for aquarium plants on sale and grab a couple. These are just some mugs I have on my desk with Ikea place mats behind as wallpaper and the plastic plants in-between. I think it adds a cool vibe (though I think I may have a tad too many plants in the pic, but you get the idea). Also had some multi-color Xmas lights running behind the mugs & plants and that looked cool...while they lasted.

[ Edited by: Trader Gino 2013-06-15 11:57 ]

A

Im always interested in this too :)

At the moment I store mine on my 'bar' - it's a battle between the booze & the knick knacks!

I also have 2 sharers on top of a wardrobe that wouldn't fit on the bar - they might get a shelf. I have 3 tiki plant pots on a windowsill with mint in them.

Trader Gino, I got fake flowers from ladies accessory stand to add a bit of colour (& will get more in time) but good call on the fish plants :)

What about you TikiTacky? Pics please!

I like the Hemingway mug, haven't seen that before! Great ideas with the aquarium "plants" and the flowers and such . . . very interesting!

A

The Hemmingway mug is by Cheeky Tiki :)

H

I have about 25 foot of hanging shelves. 2"x12" lengths of wood hanging by chains from the beams in the ceiling.

Well I have two high ceiling mount wood & bamboo shelves at 12' & 20'
a round rattan shelf on a rock wall
A-frame shelf with mugs & bowls & several standing displays in the lounge.

HT

Nice blockwork.

Bowls on a custom shelf:

Girls, Skulls and Bamboo in the cabinet:

The rest behind glass, in Victorian shop display cabinets:

[ Edited by: Pikeys Dog 2013-06-17 13:58 ]

[ Edited by: Pikeys Dog 2013-06-17 13:59 ]

ATP what are you using to underlight your mugs up there? Is it that flexi-tube of white Xmas lights type thing?

It's LED light ropes, I have tried the expensive LED strips
but they need more juice after 6' of length & get hot
the LED ropes come in many lengths & stay very cool and use little power & last a long time
and are cheap to boot...ATP approved!

Ming sharing what brand of LED rope you're using?

On 2013-06-17 20:35, TikiTacky wrote:
Ming sharing what brand of LED rope you're using?

Well "Emperor Ming" :)
The last one I bought was from Amazon.com here
http://www.amazon.com/Spacing-Christmas-Lighting-outdoor-lighting/dp/B0015EPU14/ref=pd_sim_hg_7

On 2013-06-16 14:08, AdOrAdam wrote:
The Hemmingway mug is by Cheeky Tiki :)

Hemingway was a fascinating character, but the more I learned about him the less I was enamored. A violent, alcoholic misogynyst who was apparently a failed spy for the KGB (which us why the FBI notoriously kept close tabs on him). Truly a tragic figure.

On 2013-06-17 03:05, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Well I have two high ceiling mount wood & bamboo shelves at 12' & 20'
a round rattan shelf on a rock wall
A-frame shelf with mugs & bowls & several standing displays in the lounge.

awesome!

A

TikiTacky:
Hemingway was a fascinating character, but the more I learned about him the less I was enamored

Not to derail this thread but yes much of Hemmingway's life (alcoholism, depression, paranoia & suicide) was tragic - much of which I found out following reading '...And A Bottle Of Rum'.

Im liking the circular shelves & bamboo edged cabinets people have.

Whoa, Pikeys Dog! Im going to PM you about where you got all those mugs from in the UK!

On 2013-06-18 05:46, AdOrAdam wrote:

TikiTacky:
Hemingway was a fascinating character, but the more I learned about him the less I was enamored

Not to derail this thread but yes much of Hemmingway's life (alcoholism, depression, paranoia & suicide) was tragic - much of which I found out following reading '...And A Bottle Of Rum'.

Im liking the circular shelves & bamboo edged cabinets people have.

Whoa, Pikeys Dog! Im going to PM you about where you got all those mugs from in the UK!

AdOrAdam, You can order those mugs and other goodies from the Cheeky Tiki website.
http://www.cheekytiki.com
Bespoke Barware is their sister company and they have even more mugs. http://www.bespokebarware.com
It's a UK company so shipping won't be insanely expensive.

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-06-18 08:20 ]

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-06-18 08:20 ]

W

I am using a shelf I made out of wood and bamboo. Works pretty well though it is full already, and I've only just begun collecting mugs! In process of building another one, and I'm really liking those LED rope lights... Might have to incorporate that into something.

A

tikilongbeach:
You can order those mugs and other goodies from the Cheeky Tiki website...

Bespoke Barware is their sister company and they have even more mugs...

I know, they're great - thanks for the links for others to use.

Woodtiki:

That's great, I need something like that!

On 2013-06-17 13:52, Pikeys Dog wrote:
Bowls on a custom shelf:

Girls, Skulls and Bamboo in the cabinet:

The rest behind glass, in Victorian shop display cabinets:

***That's a bloody fine collection, mate!

S

When I put together the display section of my bar, I did not want to do the standard "mug shot" lineup. A long line of mugs, side by side in a row renders them invisible. One looks like the others to most people.

I thought about museum displays. So I used very deep shelves and grouped the pieces by location, and I used risers to give more depth and interest. I incorporated the swizzles, postcards and other items as well to make these layered groupings.

A slight exception here as I used a floater shelf, but, it is only Hawaiian Village Tampa mugs hung under the menus.

It also depends on your collection. I decided to make my collecting very focused on certain locations. That allowed me to do the displays the way I have. But you could do something similar with a different theme.

Swanky, Pikey's Dog and PolyPop (who hasn't posted) -- you 3 guys have the most amazing displays!

Swanky really love the way you have everything grouped together...really dynamic looking!

Tim, I appreciate your technique, and visual symmetry.

H

Swanky, what a beautiful collection you have. I really like how you have mostly vintage pieces with just a few new ones incorporated. Your lighting is also done very nicely.

W

Agree, Swanky, very nice collection and display. The lighting adds great mood, and I really like the mixing of swizzles, cards, etc. to add interest. It's like a museum!

These are all great. Love the diversity in displays, as well as the awesome collections.

A couple more (better) pics...

Frankies Mugs...

Skulls, Broads and 'Boo....

S

If i'm ever fortunate enough to own my own place i'll definitely make a dedicated Tiki room but until then all my mugs are displayed on black shelving i made myself, except for the bottom half of the cabinet below which i picked up from a thrift store.

[ Edited by: swizzle 2013-06-20 05:49 ]

Ikea shelves:

more Ikea shelves:

Bamboo hut shelving from "Pad Parties: The Guide to Ultra-Entertaining":

and storage of duplicates in an old fridge:

Unfortunately everything's cramped (3 deep in places), but there's no walls for more units since 3 walls are all windows.
For a large party the ones in the fridge are used and once emptied it holds the beer/juice/etc.

D
DEVIN posted on Tue, Dec 16, 2014 6:53 PM

was checking out this forum a while back and this was the topic that caught my eye, I currently display all my tiki stuff on my boat pics to follow

Pages: 1 29 replies