Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

PKNY-closing

Pages: 1 17 replies

This was originally posted by Waikiki Tiki on facebook.

http://gothamist.com/2013/06/14/les_tiki_bar_pkny_will_shutter_at_e.php

Much-lauded LES tiki bar PKNY's days of serving flaming drinks and fresh pina coladas are numbered, it seems; the establishment is reportedly closing its doors for good at the end of July. Owner Richard Boccato told the Times that the landlord chose not to renew the bar's lease, and he plans to open a new, totally different tiki bar elsewhere in the city in the future.

The Essex Street drinking hole has had its share of trouble since it opened in May 2010; initially, it was named Painkiller after a signature rum cocktail trademarked by Pusser's Rum, but was sued by the company and had to change its name in 2011. PKNY also had a little Health Department shakeup after an inspection two years ago, in which it racked up a hefty 101 violation points.

But we were blown away by the bar's funky Polynesian street-style theme and fresh-squeezed frozen cocktails when it first opened, and recent visits proved just as good. Though, we did learn not to nosh on the carved-out pineapples in which the drinks were served, because you will cut your lip somehow, and the combination of the alcohol and the fruit juice will make your mouth look like something Lisa Rinna paid for.

Boccato and his team, who also run Long Island City bar Dutch Kills, say they've got plans in the works for a tiki bar called Asphalt Jungle, which Boccato says will have "a new identity in a new location." "We’d actually be happier bringing our bar to Brooklyn or Queens, where we’re from and have had some success with other ventures," Boccato said. "We don’t have to be in a fancy ZIP code in order to create a great atmosphere for people to get great drinks."

PKNY will end its run around July 22nd, so you've still got some time to try out a Scorpion Bowl before they're gone from the LES forever.

Holy carp, Batman! PKNY has been on my list of must-go places when I visit New York.

Once again we see that good things do not last forever, and that we must appreciate and patronize the good things while we have them. Fortunately, in this case, we have advance notice that a closing is imminent.

Best wishes to patrons and staff of an establishment with a helluva good reputation! Looking forward to hearing more details about their future reincarnation in a new location and with a new look and feel.

P
porco posted on Mon, Jun 17, 2013 1:56 PM

that's sad news, but i hope they follow through with their "asphalt jungle" plans. nice crew of talented folks there, and they really threw down for us @ the 2012 hukilau. best of luck to them!

Sad news when any tiki bar closes, especially ones that I haven't been to. My friend went and thought the drinks were amazing. He said on par with Tiki Ti, which is his favorite bar in the world. I wish I had a chance to try a drink there...

I told all of my East coast friends to go there before they close. I hope their new bar gets going smoothly, and by the time I visit.

Dang, sad to read this for sure, but good news that they are planning on keeping alight the Tiki Flame at a new place.

sad, i've only had a few chances to go to PKNY, but it was a great experience every time.

sad face...

Sounds like they have an opportunity to start fresh and do things they didn't get a chance to do the first time.

Bummer--those fellas were at Tiki Oasis last year I believe...such nice guys.

Hope they open an even better tiki place in the future!

On closing day, they should repost all the "Painkiller" signage

Glad I got to drink there once last summer. Truly great cocktails. I hope they have a chance to become bigger and better with their next incarnation.

Better move my PKNY shirt to the nostalgia pile

On 2013-06-18 12:25, Rum Balls wrote:
On closing day, they should repost all the "Painkiller" signage

I don't think they ever changed anything except the name of the drink on the menu to "PK."

C

On 2013-06-18 12:54, Bohemiann wrote:
Better move my PKNY shirt to the nostalgia pile

Hope they haven't sold out of those, yet!
We'll be there this weekend - either Sat or Sun night :)

On 2013-06-17 18:06, SandraDee wrote:
Bummer--those fellas were at Tiki Oasis last year I believe...such nice guys.

Hope they open an even better tiki place in the future!

I was hotel-room neighbors with a few of the PNKY guys at Oasis last year. They were all really nice and very sincere guys. I'm bummed that BuzDeadwax and I didn't make it to NY in time to check the place. Fingers crossed for an awesome new location that I'll actually get to visit!

BEST Zombie I ever had! Very sad to hear this.

L

Depressing reports whenever any kind of tiki pub sales techniques, particularly ones that we weren't to. My friend gone and imagined your beverages ended up remarkable. He explained comparable to Tiki Ti, which can be his favored bar on the planet. If only I'd an opportunity to try a consume generally there...

[ Edited by: Hakalugi - spam links removed - 2013-07-01 08:52 ]

HT

On 2013-07-01 00:03, Ludwiger wrote:
Depressing reports whenever any kind of tiki pub sales techniques, particularly ones that we weren't to. My friend gone and imagined your beverages ended up remarkable. He explained comparable to Tiki Ti, which can be his favored bar on the planet. If only I'd an opportunity to try a consume generally there...

I know, right? I wish I'd an opportunity to try a consume generally there. I'd try a consume every Wednesday with a couple or Mistakerays.

Pages: 1 17 replies