Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Tapa on the wall....????

Pages: 1 10 replies

I used the search but didn't find my answer....

Anyone have any experience putting Tapa on a wood wall?

Was just wondering if I should staple, glue, or spray glue the tapa on the wood walls....

Was hoping someone had "trial and error'd" it before I do....

S

I thought I had it documented HERE Can't find it.

I use just wall paper paste. Put it on the wall, heavy. I use a few push pins once it is up to keep it in place until it dries. Once it dries, you'll need to go back a second time after you cut the excess off the edges and glue down some loose ends. There can also be some gap between layers of the tapa, but the thick layer of paste will generally seep through enough to hold it.

Cut your tapa larger than needed to account for any curve, etc. in the piece. Stick it down on one edge and while another person holds the opposite edge up at the proper height, start smoothing it onto the wall with a metal ruler or other long piece toward the other side. It will still be possible to move it a little and slide it on the wall for a short time.

It is hard to get a clean line at the edge, so I have always trimmed it out in split bamboo and of course baseboard.

• this was put on drywall, but I am sure the same will hold for wood.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2013-06-19 09:59 ]

Swanky, I really enjoyed reading how you did the application. Wendy

I'm still deliberating over how to do it to avoid using paste. I've got an OLD piece I'd love to display, and am still trying to figure how to display it (and weapons on it) while damaging it as little as possible.

Hale,

Do you think it would be possible to frame it with trim and only screw the trim into the wall, sandwiching the tapa between the trim and the wall?

Lori

One of my cats was so fascinated by the tapa I hung on the wall that he jumped up on it and tore it off the wall. So, if you have curious animals or children I don't recommend staples. Barkcloth doesn't stand a chance against cat claws.

Thanks for the advice....

I'll be attempting it in a couple of weeks. Everyone cross your fingers. I have 4 big right triangle style pieces to do where the wall meets the ceiling of the Hut.

G

I attached some weathered clothes-pins to the wall and hung a piece that way. Livin' in a rental.

gabbahey

HT

On 2013-06-19 11:12, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
Hale,

Do you think it would be possible to frame it with trim and only screw the trim into the wall, sandwiching the tapa between the trim and the wall?

Lori

That was my best thought, too. Was framing it, and then the middle would be held on by the occasional weapon hanger. Don't think there's anyway of getting around putting at least a few holes in it.

While we're on the subject, can barkcloth be steamed to remove creases? I assume not, because of how it's made..

S

On 2013-06-19 11:03, Hale Tiki wrote:
I'm still deliberating over how to do it to avoid using paste. I've got an OLD piece I'd love to display, and am still trying to figure how to display it (and weapons on it) while damaging it as little as possible.

I have done this also. I used a museum site for how to. Here is the basics.

Get some very wide Velcro. Attach one side of it to a piece of wood. I stapled it to the wood. A 1 x or whatever is the best size for the piece, as long as the tapa.

The other piece of Velcro should be baste stitched to the tapa. A baste stitch is just a very loose hand stitch. No machine. Nothing tight. It is a stitch that can be removed without damaging the piece.

Mount your wood where you want and attach the tapa via the Velcro. It won't allow the tapa to rip and you can mount it and move it easily.

This piece of tapa was hung that way in an apartment so I only needed a couple of srecs to hang it.

More here

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2013-06-20 09:30 ]

[ Edited by: Swanky 2013-06-20 09:36 ]

So far staples are working. My walls are wood and it seems to be holding strong. Gotta trim the bottom, the side and put in more staples...

Pages: 1 10 replies