Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Phoenix / sedona / flagstaff tiki June/July 2013

Pages: 1 8 replies

MH

Ok arizona ohana: where be the tiki parties? Comin home for a few days from my east coast digs and i hear crickets...can one get a decent drink yet anywhere ? Wasnt impressed with hula's although they were open to lessons which was refreshing.

Mr. Ho

Hula's is darned refreshing after a watching a gunfight on I-10. Amazing how three mai tais barely loosens you up after not getting shot. I don't think I blinked once on the way to Sedona. North of PHX tikis are called Kokopelli. :) I did see a picture of a peanut mug from a Chinese restaurant in Flag.......
Just checked for this... http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=41904&forum=2

Viva Kate!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2013-06-19 21:53 ]

MH

NoNaMe:
Grew up in phx so i know the kokopellis although this flagstaff place eludes me (i went to nau but that was easily pre-tiki for me.) will try to check it out. Gun shots on i-10? Surely just some arpaio repubs having fun, no? :)

Mr. Ho

I agree, Hula's Modern, not so much.

I was born and raised in Phoenix and there's not a lot of enthusiasm for Tiki in Arizona. That's part of why I moved to California.

Go check out the Bikini Lounge on Grand avenue, last remaining vintage Tiki bar left in Phoenix.

Also head down to Tucson for a visit to the Kon Tiki, a must see for sure. It's only an hour and a half drive from Phoenix.

Also, in Phoenix, go check out Go Cat Go. It's a vintage shop and the owner, Brandy, digs tiki.

If it still existed I'd say go to Legend City... :( Gone forever.

I'm thinking maybe you know about all these places. Hope it helps make your trip more Tiki.

I'll be visiting my parents in the Phoenix suburbs during the long 4th of July weekend. I'm hoping we stumble upon the large tiki I saw in a drainage ditch in front of a preschool again. This time I'll take pictures and write down the address in case anyone wants to rescue the poor guy!

Go Kat Go is unfortunately closed.

Phoenix tiki is in a sad sad state.... Hula's is more hipster than tiki.

We're thinking of bailing to Vegas...

MH

THanks all. Kon Tiki is definitely the best bet - minus the terrible food and drink. Unfortunately it looks like much hasnt changed since my last visit!

D

Yep, meager pickin's in the Valley. I do remember (or, more likely DON'T remember) many nights at the Kon Tiki as a college student.

The article's right - Hula's drinks are more tiki in name than substance. The poke is really good, though.

Hey Doug, I didn't know you were a Phoenix guy. I'm looking at my #16 "Creature from the Isle of Pagan Delights" as I'm typing this.

Maybe we should all get together and open a real tiki bar.

Cheers,
David

Pages: 1 8 replies