Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Snug Harbor Company

Pages: 1 18 replies

Thanks to a demanding day job I have neglected this fabulous website and would like to introduce myself. I'm Bill Dunlap and my little food and merchandise company makes Snug harbor Old World Falernum. Our Falernum was chatted about on one of the threads a while ago and was given high marks. We currently sell it at Hi-Time Cellars in Costa Mesa Calif. Recently I have been shipping it to folks in Texas and Florida. I should have Paypal up and running by the end of the month. Do go to our website http://www.snugharborcompany.com or feel free to call 949-874-4402 BTW I have an original signed Trader Vic bar and menu book circa 1953,, sorry not for sale

Here is your recipe for a Mai Tai from your website

Mai Tai

Into a mixer pour:

•¼ oz. Snug Harbor Falernum
•1 ½ oz. Myers Rum
•1 oz. Cuban Rum
•¾ oz. fresh lime juice
•1 oz. grapefruit juice
•1 oz. Cointreau
•1 dash Pernod
•2 dashes Angostura bitters
•The shell of a squeezed lime
•1 cup cracked ice.
Blend for 1 minute at medium speed, pour into double old-fashioned glass. Garnish with 4 mint sprigs *add a spear of pineapple

I myself would not classify this as a Mai Tai (besides the choice of rums) grapefruit juice, Pernod, bitters?
what do the rest of you Cocktail Ninjas think?

Not a Mai tai. But sounds like a pretty good cocktail.

I will definitely give your falernum a try if you get your shipping up & running..

EJ

On 2013-06-26 15:37, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Here is your recipe for a Mai Tai from your website

Mai Tai

Into a mixer pour:

•¼ oz. Snug Harbor Falernum
•1 ½ oz. Myers Rum
•1 oz. Cuban Rum
•¾ oz. fresh lime juice
•1 oz. grapefruit juice
•1 oz. Cointreau
•1 dash Pernod
•2 dashes Angostura bitters
•The shell of a squeezed lime
•1 cup cracked ice.
Blend for 1 minute at medium speed, pour into double old-fashioned glass. Garnish with 4 mint sprigs *add a spear of pineapple

I myself would not classify this as a Mai Tai (besides the choice of rums) grapefruit juice, Pernod, bitters?
what do the rest of you Cocktail Ninjas think?

Um..........this thread is not about a Mai Tai recipe. Your point is?

The recipe from my website is the original Mai Tai recipe from Don the Beachcombers bar book. That's the original Mai Tai. When you go to many Tiki Bars they will have put the Prenod, Cointreau and Falernum together in one bottle for ease of making multiple drinks and to hide the ingredients.Hope that helps

were you located in Florida?

[ Edited by: thePorpoise 2013-06-26 16:20 ]

If you can blow it up you'll see the recipe

On 2013-06-26 16:18, snugharbor wrote:
The recipe from my website is the original Mai Tai recipe from Don the Beachcombers bar book. That's the original Mai Tai. When you go to many Tiki Bars they will have put the Prenod, Cointreau and Falernum together in one bottle for ease of making multiple drinks and to hide the ingredients.Hope that helps

This is the exact recipe from "Don the Beachcomber's Little Hawaiian Tropical Drink Cookbook" 2004
by Phoebe Beach & Arnold Bitner

And this exact recipe is listed in "Beachbum Berry Remixed" as a "Mai Tai Swizzle"
But the 1944 Donn's "Mai Tai" was reformulated and uses their version of Pimento Dram & other spices
still said to be a secret & is what is served at Don the Beachcomber today.

I only bring this all up as it is posted on the Snug Harbor website & I thought was always an interesting
bit of history (for myself I have tried this recipe & consider it the least tasty of all published recipes
and much prefer the Trader Vic's Mai Tai (which Beachbum contends is based on the original Q.B. Cooler recipe from Don's 1937)
& the current version of Don the Beachcomber's Mai Tai which is nothing like the "Swizzle" version)

:) & a :drink: :drink: :drink:

HT

Forget the Mai Tai Swizzle, I'll take my falernum in a Jet Pilot, Puka Puka, Planter's Punch, or Q.B. Cooler any day of the week!

By the by, I haven't had a bottle myself, but after hearing about how the Snug Harbor Falernum is made, it would appear to really be done right, with only the best ingredients. I don't doubt it's every bit as delicious as I've read, and perfect for those too lazy to make their own falernum. Myself included on occasion.

I just made a drink with Snug Harbor falernum and it is fantastic!!!!! I can't believe how good it made my drink taste; it made it come alive. I also love that it's made with organic cane sugar. Fee's is made with high fructose corn syrup.

[ Edited by: mermaid1111 2013-08-10 22:06 ]

[ Edited by: mermaid1111 2013-08-10 22:09 ]

When you start shipping to Florida I may just have to go give your product a try. Making a new batch of Falernum this weekend but it won't last long!

I love snug harbor falernum.
I would love it even more if I could buy it around Los Angeles, and not have to trek to Orange County for it.
I love hi times, but man, that's a drive.
What would it take to get your stuff distributed to some la resellers? I mentioned it to cap n cork, but haven't seen it show up there yet.
How about K&L?
What's required/involved in expanding your distribution?

Not to be confused with Sag Harbor which is a line of women's clothing. Who's marketing faux pas was that? "Sag" and "women's" should never go together if you are trying to sell something.

Sorry for the derail

PP

wow! sounds yummy! I need some!!!!

TT

Something else from Snug's site

Snug Harbor Old World Bay Rum After Shave

Bay Rum Lotion was first made in the West Indies in the late 18th century as a medicinal treatment for the skin. Its unique fragrance comes from the Bay Leaf (Pimenta Racemosa) which is indigenious to the Carribean. Use after showering or shaving. You are putting on a splash of history! Alcohol content 30%. Ingredients: Bay leaf, water, rum and spices. 8 fl. oz. $12/each

I am interested!

TT

As far as marketing the Falernum, as was mentioned above I would promote this as a key component of a Jet Pilot. The Jet Pilot is a very hot cocktail in the world of mixology even outside the realm of Tiki.

RB

Derailing back to MadDogMike's comment..."Sag Harbor" and "Dress Barn" are two of the most bewildering names for women's clothing stores that I can think of... :lol:

P

On 2014-05-06 12:20, Rum Balls wrote:
Derailing back to MadDogMike's comment..."Sag Harbor" and "Dress Barn" are two of the most bewildering names for women's clothing stores that I can think of... :lol:

lol, that's hilarious!!

On a slightly separate note, I'm from New Orleans, and whenever I hear "Snug Harbor" I think of the jazz club there. : )

Sorry it been awhile but I just launch a new product that I hope you all fast a chance to try. It's Sorrel the Jamican elixir infused with Hibiscus. Available at all the same places as noted on the website.,off to Tiki Oasis in San Diego. If you have never attended, it's a Bucket List item for sure. Thanks to all for the kind words about our Falernum and after shave. As I told my first wife" the reason I drink is to make you interesting " keep your swizzle stick close By, Bill

Pages: 1 18 replies