Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

OHANA Luau at the Lake 2014: official thread

Pages: 1 2 60 replies

C
croe67 posted on Tue, Jul 2, 2013 5:07 PM

ALOOOOOOOOOOHA ALL!!!

While the spilled rum hasn't even dried on the pavement of The Tiki Resort in Lake George, New York, we wanted to give everyone a heads-up on the scoop for 2014.

Ohana will once, again, be held at the Historic Tiki Resort in Lake George, NY - June 27-29, 2014

Rooms are booking-up very fast for 2014, with over 2/3 of rooms already booked at The Tiki for 2014!!
If you've been thinking of coming to Ohana next year, don't delay booking your room if you want to stay at The Tiki Resort.

Here's the Rate information for 2014:

Poolside motel rooms - $149
Hotel building (2 queens) - $164
Hotel building (king) - ALL GONE!
Hotel building queen w/ kitchenette - $173
Patio room - $184

There is no online booking, you must call the Tiki Resort and request a room in the Ohana block. 518-668-5744.

GOHANA!!!!!!

[ Edited by: croe67 2013-07-02 17:08 ]

[ Edited by: croe67 2013-07-02 17:37 ]

Booked and ready to go!

Booked and waiting.....

Q

Booked and recovering...

A little birdie tells me rooms are going fast so don't delay.

-Rev

Is the event one day shorter next year? This year was June 27-30 (includes Thursday). Next year is June 27-29 (no Thursday). I'd like to know whether there will be a Thursday night party so I know whether to book a room Thursday night. Mahalo.

C
croe67 posted on Fri, Jul 5, 2013 5:11 PM

On 2013-07-05 17:06, Boom Boom Room wrote:
Is the event one day shorter next year? This year was June 27-30 (includes Thursday). Next year is June 27-29 (no Thursday). I'd like to know whether there will be a Thursday night party so I know whether to book a room Thursday night. Mahalo.

Yes, indeed, there will be a Thursday event event, again.
As usual, there will be a separate ticket for Thursday & the specifics of what it will be, etc. are TBA for several months. - but guaranteed that it will be wacky fun as always :D

See ya at The Lake!

Thursday is the Kick-Off Party and a chance to take advantage of the awesome timelessness of the Whispers Ball Room at the Tiki Resort.... It's like Tiki Meets Disco Meets Weddings Meets Convention Center... and that doesn't even really begin to accurately describe it. If your travel plans allow, you most definitely want to arrive on Thursday, or as much earlier as you can. We don't yet know what the party theme will be, only that it will be fun and make you laugh and most likely make you dance.

Or it could be a boat cruise. Or a retro bowling night. Or whatever else the fevered brain of Bargoyle comes up with.

-Rev

The Cruise last year was fun!

Our Captains....

But the Bowl-A-Rama the year before was quite a bit of fun as well....

And who could forget the Prom from the year before that?

So if your travel plans allow do plan on being at the Tiki Resort for the Thursday Party.... you won't regret it.

Much.

NEWS FLASH

All rooms at The Tiki Resort are booked for Ohana 2014.

Blocks of rooms are available at two additional hotels:

The Windsor Motel
518-668-0100
[email protected]

The Fort William Henry Hotel & Conference Center
fortwilliamhenry.com
800-234-0267 or 518-668-3081

Ask for a room in the OHANA block to get a discounted room rate!

-Rev

Z

Holy cow! That was fast.

Yes. Record time.

For those of you not on the mailing list, here are the latest ramblings from our old Uncle Bargoyle.

AloooooooooooooooooHA!!!

I hope the new year finds everyone safe and sound, and hopefully above single digit temperatures at last! Perhaps the memories of Ohana past and the threat…errr, promise, of Ohana future will keep you warm. No? How about a Hot Toddy? Not doing it huh? Ok fine, you can turn on the space heater, but only for 20 minutes and make sure that door is shut tight! We’re not paying to heat the outdoors!

So, Ohana. What news have I about Ohana? Glad you asked. Big news actually!

First, Ohana tickets will be on sale during the last week of January…lets say, Tuesday the Twenty-Eighth at 10:22AM, because I like alliteration.

Tickets this year will be $90 each, and that’s still an ALL INCLUSIVE ticket. Yes, that includes dinner on Saturday night, the Polynesian show, access to the vendors, the silent auction, games, all the bands, the room crawl, amazing swag bags, and all the late night/mid-day/early morning shenanigans you’ve come to expect, plus a few surprises.

And YES we’re doing a Thursday kickoff event again this year but we’re still putting the final touches on that, so I don’t have a price point yet (but it’ll be cheap again and chock full of food, drinks, music and awesome), so if you can get out a day early, I promise to make it worth your while. Have I ever let you down yet? Don’t answer that! I’m happy in my bubble of denial.

Ok, so a quick recap… tickets.. $90, includes everything, 1/28/14 10.22am EST on the website ( http://www.LuauAtTheLake.com )

Kickoff hopefully for sale at the same time, probably in the $20 to $30 area, more info to come on that front VERY soon. VERY VERY soon.

And remember, the event WILL and DOES sell out. Just having a room at the Tiki does NOT get you into Ohana. You need a ticket, and unfortunately we can only accommodate so many people, so be sure to buy yours early!!

Which leads me to the other big news….

We’d love for OHANA: Luau At the Lake to be bigger, but the venue can only hold so many people. We hate turning folks away every year. It makes me feel bad, and it effects the money we raise for the Easter Island Foundation (Don’t forget, Ohana is for charity!). And while I wish we could have Ohana every weekend as some have suggested, just to make sure everyone gets a chance to enjoy it… well, that would kill me. Plus, I’m crazy, but not THAT crazy!

So, as a compromise, we’ve decided to add a SECOND annual OHANA, starting Spring of 2015. This will allow more folks to experience the wacky awesome aloha that you guys bring, raise more money for charity, and keep the party going just a little longer each year. That’s just full of win!!

Yeah, you read that right. Starting spring of 2015, OHANA: Luau By The Sea will launch in beautiful, bright, sunny South Florida.

We’re already hard at work on it and will have more details to release soon.

I think we’ve already got a facepage and everything set up, so you can follow the developments there ( https://www.facebook.com/OhanaSea ), or you can always join the discussion over at the F.O.M. by visiting us at http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org

As always, I can't thank you enough for your continued support, and we’ll see ya at the Lake! (And next year, by the Sea as well!!!)

-Bargoyle
http://www.LuauAtTheLake.com

ps. Just in case it wasn't clear, we're talking about TWO Ohanas every year starting 2015. We're still going to do our Lake George thing at the Tiki every year until we wear out our welcome. Who loves ya?

Really glad to see that someone will be picking up the Tiki Torch!!

Z

two ohanas? that will be a tough choice!

C

Why choose?

Everyone is always so sad when Ohana ends - since it'll be a year before it happens again....now it will happen more often, just with the location moving around!

MORE OHANA = GOOD!!!!

See ya at The Lake.....and The Ocean!!

Z

ill do my best! going twice would be awesome!

there better be drinks with fresh oranges, or else i will be very disappointed...

On 2014-01-16 09:21, Johnny Dollar wrote:
there better be drinks with fresh oranges, or else i will be very disappointed...

Ok, how about a nice hefeweizen with an orange slice garnish?

-Rev

C

And....the day you've all been waiting for!!!

Ohana Luau at the Lake tickets now available HERE: http://fraternalorderofmoai.org/ohana/tickets.php

Get 'em while you can!!!!!!!

& See ya at The Lake!

See you at the Lake and on the Moon!

T

Woohoo!

T

Is it June yet?

On 2014-03-18 10:15, tedtiki wrote:
Is it June yet?

Almost……

Speaking of which, for those not on the mailing list (and why aren't you on it anyway? Go sign up at luauatthelake.com today!)…. Bargoyle's latest note was all about the room crawl so heads up veteran and rookie hosts!

https://www.facebook.com/notes/ohana-luau-at-the-lake/ohana-taste-the-fresh-in-every-bite/10151719107332465

So, without further ado, let’s celebrate the return of spring (in name only it appears... Is it EVER going to stop snowing and warm up!?!?!) with a chat about one of my favorite parts of Ohana weekend…

THE ROOM CRAWL!!!!!!!!

Easily one of the highlights of Ohana, and more amazing every year, the room crawl is all about YOU. You folks just keep bringing it!! And of course we’re going to do it again.

For the uninitiated, the room crawl is a round robin, hosted by our guests, on Friday night. They open the doors to their hotel room (often decorated with a theme) and serve a cocktail and/or snacks to all the attendees. Their creativity, generosity, and Aloha know no bounds. Keep in mind that they do this out of the spirit of Aloha (and out of their own pockets!), and they make Friday night the over the top spectacle that it is, so if you visit a room, TIP them, and tip them well!!

If you’re an old veteran who constantly hosts, you have our unending gratitude, and we can’t wait to see what you have in store for us this year!

If you’ve been a crawler, and you think this might be the year to pay back some of that aloha by hosting, that’s double-plus awesome!!! We’d love to have ya, and can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Either way, to host a room you need to get in touch with our Room Crawl Coordinator, Reverend Thumper. Email the Rev at [email protected]

And while we’re talking about the crawl, I should mention that long time sponsor Kona Beer will be a part of it again, so expect to see those super cool beer carts making the rounds! Go check them out at http://www.konabrewingco.com and give ‘em some love on the facepage at http://www.facebook.com/KonaBrewery

PLUS, our friends at DeadHead Rum are joining us again, and not only are they donating some killer swag for the bags, but they’re also going to host a room as well!! These folks get it. And they’ve got the coolest packaging in the entirety of boozedom. Hit up http://www.facebook.com/DeadheadRum and give ‘em the thumb and visit them at http://www.deadheadrum.com to soak up the awesome.

-Rev

[ Edited by: rev_thumper 2014-04-08 18:10 ]

Buy Ohana 2014 tickets: check
Book a room: check
Prepare our livers in our tiki room awaiting Ohana: check
This will be the third year for Masher and myself (Still rookies to some of you, I know) but we are EXCITED to be part of the Luau on the Lake again!!
See you soon!

C

We look forward to seeing you at The Lake, again, Tiki Kitty & Masher - where no one is a newbie & everyone is one big family.....as they say "OHANA"!!!

June can't get here soon enough!!!

On 2014-04-08 10:03, Tiki-kitty wrote:

Prepare our livers in our tiki room awaiting Ohana: check

If you are already starting the liver exercises then there is no way you could call yourself a rookie.

Nice looking bar, by the way!

See you at the Lake!

Lots of news coming out from Ohana this week so watch your mailbox if you are on our mailing list or stop by the Facebook page: http://facebook.com/OhanaLuau

Band news, contest news, and maybe something more? Who really knows what sort of craziness Bargoyle will be serving up.

If you are waiting to buy tickets, don't, there are maybe a dozen left.

-Rev

[ Edited by: rev_thumper 2014-04-21 17:12 ]

Looking forward to getting away and enjoying the crazy fun that is Ohana.

On 2014-04-25 09:19, exotica59 wrote:
Looking forward to getting away and enjoying the crazy fun that is Ohana.

Me too!

And how about that 2014 mug, huh? Nice looking.

-Rev

[ Edited by: rev_thumper 2014-04-27 12:56 ]

flying SOLO to Luau and wondering if anyone can let me split a room with them if you already have one booked at the TIKI!?
I'd like to stay 6/26, 27, 28
thanks!
Michelle
[email protected]

TP

Some memories from Ohana 2013 with The Revomatics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzX_y_C6L0k

Enjoy, and see you all in June.

[ Edited by: Tiki Pete 2014-04-28 09:19 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Pete 2014-04-28 09:20 ]

Nice video!

FYI.... the 2014 mug is now on sale to ticket holders only. Visit luauatthelake.com and click on "Mug."

Bargoyle only ordered 119 of those pretty things (why? why not?) so don't delay if you want one.

[ Edited by: rev_thumper 2014-04-28 11:59 ]

Mugs going fast and there are three, yes three, tickets for Ohana 2014 left.

Need some incentive? The final band line up is out and looks awesome with The Concussions and The TarantinosNYC rounding things off.

http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/ohana/entertainment.php

-Rev

Z

really excited for this year. sounds great.

Tickets for Ohana 2014 are SOLD OUT folks. Six years in a row! As Bargoyle would say, "you people are mental."

A waiting list form is now available for people who want to sign up.

http://fraternalorderofmoai.org/ohana/tickets.php

-Rev

:D :D

PS -- all the Ohana 2014 tiki mugs are sold out also!

I think that's a land speed record.

T

Can't wait!

Lots of great entries have come in for the Royer swizzle contest, mahalo.

-Rev

[ Edited by: rev_thumper 2014-05-27 06:24 ]

There are still a few slots available in the 2014 Ohana cocktail contest, sponsored by Longitude in Oakland! This contest is open to any Ohana attendee. All levels of mixologists welcome!

Here are the details from Bargoyle...

Our often imitated, never duplicated, partially sedated, (sometimes x-rated), corn-row braided, parmesan cheese grated, Cocktail Contest is returning again this year, with a few tweaks.

First off, its being sponsored by Longitude in Oakland, California.

What IS Longitude you ask? Well, lemme ‘splain it to ya:

Take one part tiki bar, one part safari, one part world travel, add Suzanne Long (mixologist extraordinaire), a BIG dash of class, and mix with delicious food and drinks, and you’re getting close. “Adventure bar” is the closest term for it, but really there’s nothing like it to compare it to. Think the old Adventurer’s Club from Disney…only with amazing drinks and food. Rumgaloosh!!!

Keep your eye on http://longitudeoakland.com/ for more info, and if you’re in town, or headed out west, it’s a MUST on your list of sights to see.

Now, as far as the contest itself, I proudly present the

Longitude Cocktail Challenge
For those among us who see the wild and exotic as an invitation; for those who leave their homes in the name of exploration; for those who bridge the world we know with the unknown, we propose a challenge: create for us a cocktail that celebrates the Spirit of Adventure! Bring YOUR sense of world exploration to the table and mix for us the very best cocktail we’ve had, and you just might find your cocktail on the menu at Suzanne Long’s brand new bar in Oakland, California, LONGITUDE!

An Invitation to Adventure

Every Good Adventure deserves a Great Cocktail – will you be the one to discover it?

Will you be the Adventurer to heed the call and bring to the tent a cocktail fit for Kings, Sheikhs or Emperors? Let the exotic melodies of Bali, the dusty sandy winds of Egypt, the rich rainforests of Brazil and the deep roar of the African lion inspire you to mix up tastes from the four corners of the world.

Your cocktail will be judged with the following criteria:

1. Taste – Is it delicious? Would the judges order a second one?
  2. Originality – Drinks must be of your own creation
  3. Presentation – This means the glassware or vessel, ice, garnish, etc. Singing and dancing are nice, but this is about the cocktail itself. Does it look appealing, smell wonderful, etc?
  4. Usability – Is it reasonable to serve in a real bar? Is it easy to prepare? Are the ingredients readily available or simple to make from commonly available items?
  5. Spirit of World Adventure – Does the cocktail instill a sense of wanderlust to the drinker. Do you hear a lion roaring in the distance or the splash of the surf with each sip? Does it remind the imbiber of Ernest Hemingway, Amelia Earhart, Thor Heyerdahl or Karen Blixen? Is a pith helmet recommended headware?

Just as Trader Vic lauded those who were proven to be able to hold their liquor and remain Ladies and Gentlemen, we at Longitude and in this contest ask you to consider the True Spirit of Adventure. True Adventurers exude respect for all around them, and this contest is but one step in a lifelong journey. Be Ladies and Gentlemen, and succeed beyond your wildest dreams.

The contest is open to ALL attendees of Ohana. As usual, you’ll have five (5) minutes to present your drink (No more than FIVE minutes. You WILL be gonged. Please time yourself and plan appropriately), and this year there are more than just bragging rights and a cool trophy on the line!! Email kristy(dot)bronner(at)gmail(dot)com for more details and to enter. And as a tippler, I can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with! Good Luck!!

-Rev

Are we there yet?

Getting pretty close!

Don't make me turn this car around, Chip!

S O R E A D Y ! ! !

It is like going home!

T

Just 12 more days until we head to Ohana!!!!

Pages: 1 2 60 replies