Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Ti ASHTRAY release party SAT 27TH 4:00 PM

Pages: 1 22 replies

As the SouCal Tiki summer is heating up (as Marketplace and Tonga Hut happening on the same weekend demonstrate) I feel the need to get the word out about this so that the busy LA Tikiphile can pencil it into their calendar:

SMOKING KILLS! ..the sticker says. ...So do a lot of other things, and I say: SMOKING IS FUN!

ESPECIALLY with the new Tiki Ti ashtray, designed by yours truly :D

Holds TWO cigars (ends) and FOUR cigarettes (sides). And if you are a fervent anti-smoke crusader, do not fret:
I provided a hole in the back so you can hang it up...

....on the wall like an object of primitive art.

The piece is inspired by Papua New Guinea Gope boards...

...and Eharo masks:

...whose traditional use is described thus:

"...masks called eharo, such as that seen here, were created primarily for amusement, described as maea morava eharu (things of gladness)...
.....Eharo masks were made and worn by men from neighboring villages at the request of the village hosting the ceremony. As they entered the host village, the resident women pelted them with shredded coconut to neutralize their seductive powers, which might otherwise prove irresistible. The eharo then danced, surrounded by women from their home villages. A lighthearted atmosphere prevailed and eharo performances were often boisterous and bawdy."

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-07-19 02:53 ]

Very cool! Makes me wish I smoked. OK, not really, but it makes me wish I had a use for it. :)

Nice design Sven, congrats!

I'd hang that on my wall.....

Very cool, a great and unique idea!

I will have to have one...

This poker game could use a proper ash tray.
Success!

Photo compliments of Slacks Ferret (until he takes me to court)

On 2013-07-20 09:27, Unga Bunga wrote:
This poker game could use a proper ash tray.
Success!

Photo compliments of Slacks Ferret (until he takes me to court)

If you've sparked new interest in my print (still available for sale!), then I won't take you to court Unga Bunga.

But seriously, that's a damn cool ashtray! And it makes sense that it's from the Tiki Ti, since they still allow smoking there. I would love to hang one on my wall.

T

Wow! Very Cool Sven!

Two questions:

How much does it cost & how much rum do you think it will hold? (I'm too busy being a rummy to have time for smoking!)

On 2013-07-18 21:54, bigbrotiki wrote:
.....Eharo masks were made and worn by men from neighboring villages at the request of the village hosting the ceremony. As they entered the host village, the resident women pelted them with shredded coconut to neutralize their seductive powers, which might otherwise prove irresistible. The eharo then danced, surrounded by women from their home villages. A lighthearted atmosphere prevailed and eharo performances were often boisterous and bawdy."

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-07-19 02:53 ]

Great looking piece Sven.Now there's another "thing" I gotta have.
I'll try not to derail this thread too much butI will put it back on track when I wrap up this reply.
The late afternoon sun can be brutal on the upper back and neck when having a Mai Tai at my outdoor bar. I added an "awning" last year which can be opened and closed and is held up "Hawaiian style" by two bamboo sticks. The painting/drawing I chose to add interest to an otherwise boring 8'x 4' sheet of plywood was that Eharo mask that inspired you. I was not aware of the Eharo's raison d'etre but your dicription brought a smile to my face. I also threw my entire stock of shredded coconut away!
To get back on track-I will be at the Tiki Ti on Saturday, 27 July for the Sven Kirsten designed ashtray release party.
Mahalo
Btw, will you be signing em?

On 2013-07-20 09:27, Unga Bunga wrote:

You forgot some stuff:

Yaaah - SMOKIN' !!!

I will be there from 4:00 o'clock on to sign them babies, at the table in the corner on the right when you come in. I just found out they can be had for a measly 25.00 bucks! It might get a little crowded...

Here are some "display suggestions" for your artifact:

The Classic - Sitting on your Witco armchair, with a fine cigar and a good rum

The Gallery - Gracing your wall with your collection of primitive art

The Royal - As the new Tiki Ti Crest

In the Jungle - The Tribal Totem

The Vessel - Legends of Polynesian Navigation
(Do not use in bathtub)

So, as everyone can see, one does not have to a smoker to appreciate this piece :D

PI

Will these be available online? I need one for the tropical patio. Much more attractive than the random Tommy Bahama ashtray we have now! I super love that it is designed for cigars. My hubby loves to relax on the weekends with a tropical beverage and a cigar.

Hit me up, Pomaika. I don't mind picking up an extra, as I was planning on hitting up Tiki Ti fairly soon after opening.

Besides, having a Floridan to help out with my own tiki searches would be nice down the line. :)

That is nice of you TJS! Hopefully my brother will grab me one. I might not be able to make it up there anytime soon.

We were just in LA last Sunday, but this might be worth a trip back up there to pick up. Hummm...

I'm already in line! :lol:

Here's a reminder Tiki-Ti is cash only!

They do have an ATM with a service charge and there are some banks (Chase, Wells Fargo and BofA) kinda near by.

Trying to be a nice guy.

On 2013-07-26 11:53, Bora Boris wrote:
I'm already in line! :lol:

Good...I'll cut in with you.

I couldn't go to this despite wanting to very much. How was it? Anyone take any pictures?

It was a nice afternoon, just busy enough but not crowded to a squeeze. A nice steady trickle throughout the day, no long lines.

It was great to see old friends and hardcore Tikiphiles, and hear their kudos about the ashtray.

Some bought two or three, for others, but there are enough left, they are 25.00 Dollars a piece.

I wore an appropriate shirt, and had me some fine libations.

Thank the Tiki gods for the Tiki Ti !!!
(and Boris for the pictures)

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2013-07-29 20:16 ]

Can they be shipped? I think I need one here in Michigan.

That is a Tiki Ti question, it's they who are selling them.

AF

Darn it. Missed another cool event at my favorite bar! Congrats Sven, it's a very beautiful piece!

I just picked one of these up on eBay, I do smoke fine cigars and I've been looking for something like this. I'm going to enjoy pulling this off the wall occasionally and using it with friends.

Photos are from the seller's ad. ["thetikitrader"]

Pages: 1 22 replies