Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Krakatoa Punch recipe?

Pages: 1 17 replies

Does anyone here know the recipe for Trader Sam's Krakatoa Punch?

I thought it to be their version of a Painkiller?

My cocktail guide says:

3 oz Coconut Cream
3 oz Pusser's Rum
1 splash(es) Orange Juice
4 oz Pineapple Juice

The description of the Krakatoa reads:

Reserve and Spiced Rums, Tropical Juices, Orgeat (Almond) Syrup, Sam's Gorilla Grog, and Hibiscus Grenadine.

Not sure I see too much resemblance.

I have only a vague remembrance of drinking that drink about a year ago.

However, if I were to try and reconstruct it based on their description, here's what I might start with as a first experiment:

Reserve Rum (1 and 1/2 oz Appleton Estate)
Spiced Rums (1 oz Kraken Spiced Rum)
Tropical Juices (1/2 oz each of Pineapple/Orange/Guava nectar and 2 oz lemon juice)
Orgeat Syrup (1/4 oz)
Sam's Gorilla Grog (1/4 oz BG Reynolds Falernum syrup & 1/4 oz BG Reynolds Cinnamon syrup)
Hibiscus Grenadine (1/4 oz of BG Reynolds Hibiscus Grenadine Syrup)
Spritz of Club Soda
Crushed ice.

This is based on absolutely nothing. It may taste terrible. You have been warned.

I may be mixing up the drinks from there?
I shall research it further, but did you not just answer your own question?

I have an idea, but that's far from a recipe. One person said it tastes strongly of pineapple. It isn't important, I just thought I'd ask. It's amazing the knowledge I come across on TC. :)

K

There's definitely no "strong" pineapple taste other than what might be included in their juices. Sounds to me like you need to break down what exactly is in their Gorilla Grog and you'll be pretty well off, since everything else is mentioned in the menu.

Follow me on Instagram
http://www.instagram.com/keithkocka

[ Edited by: kkocka 2014-05-17 09:31 ]

I have been experimenting with this for quite a while, I thought I had a break through so I had to taste test a real one Wednesday...I think I'm pretty darn close

Krakatoa Punch
• 1 oz. dark rum (Pyrat XO)
• 1 oz. spiced rum (Seven Tiki/Sailor Jerry)
• 3 oz. Gorilla Grog (see below)
• .5 oz. Orgeat
• .25 oz. grenadine (maybe a little less)
Shake with ice, strain into tall glass with ice
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVzA_aAHaUA)

Gorilla Grog (the key ingredient)
• 1 oz Passion Fruit juice*
• 1 oz Orange juice (no pulp)*
• 1 oz Guava juice*
• 1 oz Pineapple juice
• 2 oz lemon juice
• .25 oz. Orgeat
• .25 oz. Falernum
*Or 3 oz. of POG juice

**on 04/08/15 they were using Pyrat Rum and Sailor Jerry's, not Seven Tiki spiced rum, at Trader Sam's

I miss album covers...

[ Edited by: blacksheep uncle 2015-04-13 12:37 ]

K

On 2015-04-10 18:24, blacksheep uncle wrote:
**on 04/08/15 they were using Pyrat Rum and Sailor Jerry's, not Seven Tiki spiced rum, at Trader Sam's

Yeah recently they made the change to Sailor Jerry's. I'm not sure why, maybe a cost thing, but that's how it goes. I suggest using your preferred.

• 1 oz Guava juice*
• 1 oz Pineapple juice
• 2 oz lemon juice
• .25 oz Orgeat
• .25 oz Falernum
*Or 3 oz of POG juice

Well I've never seen a Gorilla Grog recipe, so we'll have to give it a whirl!

BTW Fresh & Easy markets here have been carrying POG Juice for the last few months.

That isn't an "official" Gorilla Grog recipe, I researched and experimented a lot to get that version.

I had a few friends over last night and the ones that have had real Krakatoas thought my recipe was real darn close (and those that hadn't had it before are now addicted :D) .

T

Trader Sam's Krakatoa Punch:
-- 1oz dark rum
-- 1oz spiced rum
-- 3oz Gorilla Grog
-- 0.5oz almond syrup
-- 0.25oz grenadine
-- Shake with ice
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iVzA_aAHaUA

T

On 2015-05-06 22:33, Tiki501 wrote:
Trader Sam's Krakatoa Punch:
-- 1oz dark rum
-- 1oz spiced rum
-- 3oz Gorilla Grog
-- 0.5oz almond syrup
-- 0.25oz grenadine
-- Shake with ice
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iVzA_aAHaUA

Just noticed this has already been posted.

I have been experimenting with this for quite a while, I thought I had a break through so I had to taste test a real one Wednesday...I think I'm pretty darn close

Krakatoa Punch
• 1 oz. dark rum (Pyrat XO)
• 1 oz. spiced rum (Seven Tiki/Sailor Jerry)
• 3 oz. Gorilla Grog (see below)
• .5 oz. Orgeat
• .25 oz. grenadine (maybe a little less)
Shake with ice, strain into tall glass with ice
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVzA_aAHaUA)

• 1 oz Guava juice*
• 1 oz Pineapple juice
• 2 oz lemon juice
• .25 oz. Orgeat
• .25 oz. Falernum
*Or 3 oz. of POG juice

I miss album covers...

[ Edited by: blacksheep uncle 2015-04-13 12:37 ]

Amazing recipe. Surely going to try this out. Perfect to have during weekend. All tropical fruit juices all in one. I recently tired blueberry and grapefruit spritzer recipe which was delightful combination of all fruit flavours. For recipe read here.

[ Edited by: williams89 2015-07-24 05:48 ]

So now that we've got this batch of gorilla grog, is there anything else good you can do with it?

K

Make yourself an Uh Oa, recipe via Hurricane Hayward.

Uh Oa! on Grog Grotto menu: Myers's Original Dark Rum, Bacardi Superior Rum, orange, passion fruit, guava, pineapple, and grapefruit juices, Falernum, Cinnamon, and fresh lime juice.

There's POG, but no Grog, though some of the ingredients appear to be listed separately.

I may tweak the recipe after my upcoming trip and another sampling of the drink. It appears I'm missing pineapple juice, but everything else is probably pretty close.
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2014/10/07/trader-sams-grog-grotto-design-merchandise-revealed-during-mahaloween-event-at-disneyland/#uh-oa

Will give the Krakatoa another try and see if I can decipher what's in it. The menu says: Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum, Pyrat XO Reserve Rum, Orgeat (almond), Sam's Gorilla Grog, and Hibiscus Grenadine.

I'm not seeing Gorilla Grog mentioned in any other drinks, but there's a chance it's also in the Nautilus since it just refers to "tropical juices."

There is the Schweitzer Falls (Non-Alcoholic)
4 ounces Sam’s “Gorilla Grog” (a blend of pineapple, orange, guava, and passion fruit juices, fresh lemon juice, and falernum)
4 ounces Sprite
Maraschino cherry, for garnish
Pineapple wedge, for garnish
Mint sprig, for garnish
Build in a Collins glass over ice, roll into mixing tin, and back into glass.
Garnish with maraschino cherry, pineapple, and mint.
http://www.focusedonthemagic.com/2012/03/disney-insidears-news-trader-sams.html

The Lost Safari (I haven't found a recipe yet)
Dark and Spiced Rums, Tropical Juices, Falernum and Sam's Gorilla Grog

And there is Polynesian Punch that is just Gorilla Grog with a bit of grenadine. (no recipe for that either, but it should just be a matter of adding a grenadine a bit at a time until you like the taste).

Pages: 1 17 replies