Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

WTB - Big Lots Pele

Pages: 1 34 replies

Wondering if anyone has one to sell? Thanks!

I have one I could part with. It's not in perfect condition: two drilled holes in the base for attaching to a tree stump, and some expanding foam inside of it. I painted it for outdoor exposure, where it's been for a couple years.

If interested, PM me.

PM sent. Thanks

Sadly this Pele arrived at my place with a shattered head. :(

So I'd like to put the feelers back out to try again to see if someone has one they'd like to part with.

P

I can't understand why someone would want some soul-less plastic piece of junk, and not just have an actual artist recreate it in wood....

we tiki guys are pretty cheap... I'm sure you could find someone local to make one for you, in nice, organic wood...

not being a jerk... just suggesting an alternative... good luck.

M

It just figures that it would show up broken because WHITE DEVIL didn't pack it right. He has the same kind of business ethics as BITCH DOCTOR

On 2013-08-12 14:35, pjc5150 wrote:
I can't understand why someone would want some soul-less plastic piece of junk, and not just have an actual artist recreate it in wood....

we tiki guys are pretty cheap... I'm sure you could find someone local to make one for you, in nice, organic wood...

not being a jerk... just suggesting an alternative... good luck.

My thought is it will hold up better in the elements and be relatively inexpensive (although this project has now doubled in price since the first one showed up broken). I cringe at the thought of a several hundred dollar carve rotting in the Michigan elements. I suppose that's another good topic...how well does a palm (or other) log hold up to the elements especially in Michigan? But yeah, given the choice between the two, a real carve would be much cooler.

On 2013-08-12 21:17, mymotiki wrote:
It just figures that it would show up broken because WHITE DEVIL didn't pack it right. He has the same kind of business ethics as BITCH DOCTOR

As usual, you don't know what you're talking about. The White Devil paid UPS pack & ship professionals to pack it, but the buyer decided to take the risk of having the Postal Workers Union handle his merch to save money, rather than UPS. The Postal Workers Union did their thing, but rather than take responsibility and perhaps learn something from the experience, the buyer has decided to make The White Devil both the bad guy and the victim buy making a Paypal claim.

This guy has been nothing but trouble from the git-go: all are advised to keep away.

M

that's a typical response. blame it on the postal union. blame it on everyone else. I have seen UPS non union drivers throwing and destroying packages too. In fact, they have left packages that were supposed to be signed for, but left at the door anyway that got stolen.

[ Edited by: mymotiki 2013-08-13 15:25 ]

P

the answer:

have it done in cypress....

cypress has extraordinary outdoor resiliency.

it could be out there & stay together for 20 or 30 yrs..

I had one that fell over and broken his head into pieces. I epoxy'd them back together and used expanding foam to fill and create any cracks and holes.

Then, since the hat was off, I cut a hole in the top, made a brace for the inside, and made it so a Tiki Torch can would fit down inside. Expoy'd the hat back on.... Painted the whole thing brown....

Pele with fire.

They are fragile. Mine tipped over on athe concrete floor &
basically shattered.
I didn't mind, it was a gift & I never really liked it much anyway

On 2013-08-13 04:25, White Devil wrote:

On 2013-08-12 21:17, mymotiki wrote:

As usual, you don't know what you're talking about. The White Devil paid UPS pack & ship professionals to pack it, but the buyer decided to take the risk of having the Postal Workers Union handle his merch to save money, rather than UPS. The Postal Workers Union did their thing, but rather than take responsibility and perhaps learn something from the experience, the buyer has decided to make The White Devil both the bad guy and the victim buy making a Paypal claim.

This guy has been nothing but trouble from the git-go: all are advised to keep away.

My intent with bumping this thread was not to disparage you in any way...I'm just looking for a couple inexpensive tikis for the Kio' Wai Lounge. I personally hate dragging all the dirty laundry out.

I'm not normally a pain to deal with. In general, I would say I have the patience of Job (I run an online forum like TC (different subject matter) and get to deal with fights between members all the time). Further ran an online store for several years and have completed over 10,000 sales online...you can see from my paypal rating, I'm no newbie when it comes to online transactions. I have been in the position of both buyer and seller and empathize with both points of view.

So, yeah I didn't want to pay $60 for UPS shipping plus the $18 for packing when the post office shipping was $28 on a $35 plastic tiki. I disagree that the post office is more likely to break it than UPS, however for $18 in packaging it shouldn't have broken with either. Despite paying a professional packing price, it clearly was not (it must have been the shoddy work of the Box Packers Union). The packaging failed because the tiki was placed into a box of peanuts of which there weren't enough and "settled" during transit. Besides not enough peanuts, it wasn't wrapped in any bubble wrap. During transit the peanuts had "settled" and it shifted to to one end of the box. Effectively with a piece of cardboard between the statue and anything that hit it.

I agree with others here that it is pretty thin and does seem like it would be easily broken. But I think you already had a sense of that since you had done some work on the base (which you mentioned in the pm's and I was fine with).

During our pm's I was hoping we could come to a reasonable agreement (e.g., 50/50 spit) since I don't think that either of us should get stuck with 100% of the cost ($81.00). Admittedly I didn't propose that exact option because I was hoping you would propose something first. But it became clear that you were putting the blame all on me because I opted for USPS shipping. It is my understanding as an online seller, it is ultimately the seller's responsibility for the item to arrive safely. You could have refused to send via USPS if you felt that strongly that the Postal Workers do such a bad job.

M

Hi jimflies, I am sorry your item was destroyed. This is exactly what I thought happened. When you deal with White Devil and Witch Doctor, unfortunately you get what you pay for or if you get it at all. So beware of these two. I wouldn't want to pay 78 bucks for shipping and packing. So from reading what mr. white devil said, he was pissed that you didn't want to pay the 78 bucks. I feel that white devil is a vindictive bitch. Sorry that you had to find out the hard way. Packing something in ghost farts alone, never works. Mr white devil should know that. Doesn't matter if the item is plastic or not. When you send someone something you pack it like it's going to be thrown off a truck at 70 mph. That is the rule. I do hope you can find another one.

P

if it arrives broken, the seller should refund your money.

if he doesn't, he's a dirtbag... plain and simple.

T

"It is my understanding as an online seller, it is ultimately the seller's responsibility for the item to arrive safely"

That's how I feel.
The sale is not over till the customer gets item safely.
Why did at least one of you guys not insure the item?
Even if seller does not pay for ins I always put it on at my cost.

But then the one time I had a light break in shipping I lost the ins info
and had to send new light at my cost.

RR

At least mine died in a glorious fashion. It was knocked over by Violetta Beretta while she was Mexican wrestling in our room party at Tiki Oasis.

On 2013-08-14 17:14, Rob Roy wrote:
At least mine died in a glorious fashion. It was knocked over by Violetta Beretta while she was Mexican wrestling in our room party at Tiki Oasis.

That's a dignified death for any tiki!

P

demand a refund...

straight up...

P

so, this dude won't even refund half of your money?

what a scumbag...

Apparently not.

Jimflies, don't expect anything from White Devil. He has transference issues and thinks that he can do no wrong and that it's everyone else's fault. He is just as bad as Bitch Doctor. Go after him thru paypal and or your credit card and or postal insurance. He is going to fight you all the way. He has no business ethics.

I'm not taking any sides here, but I don't feel it's reasonable to expect the seller to pay for shipping expenses. I sell a lot on eBay and shipping costs are only getting higher and higher. If a buyer requests a particular shipping option that the seller isn't comfortable with, I think it falls on the seller to say "I can ship it that way, but I can't be responsible for damages" and get an OK from the buyer first. If a buyer requests shipping that is likely to result in broken merchandise, why should the seller be responsible? He'll be out shopping costs and his item.

In the future, I think it's best to communicate these concerns ahead of time.

I'm still not convinced that USPS is any worse than UPS as far as damaging items. We didn't have any discussion about if the item gets broken using USPS that it would be all on me. I guess it would be interesting to know if I had gone with UPS, if White Devil would have refunded any part of the transaction?

I still think 50/50 split seems like a fair deal for both of us.

T

So if Sears dropped off a washing machine to your house White Devil and it was
F$#@ed up you would say...
"it's cool, no need to send a new one"

And insurance would have been like two bucks on this.
Come on guys write ins and shipping into the price or just
charge it to the person who you sell to.

If you are up front on your sales and think about this stuff
you can avoid all of this ill will.
This kind of mess up can prevent others from buying items here on
Tiki Central.

I agree. I didn't even think about the insurance but would have sprung for it (of course its easy to say in hind sight).

I have two of these Pele Big Lots statues in MINT condition that I would be willing to sell. I would not ship these, though. I will be at MOD in Palm Springs and I will be at Disneyland the last weekend in September. I would be happy to bring them if anyone is interested.
Louis

Bummer...too far of a drive for me. :(

double post

[ Edited by: jimsflies 2013-08-23 03:03 ]

On 2013-08-21 17:56, Atomobile wrote:
I have two of these Pele Big Lots statues in MINT condition that I would be willing to sell. I would not ship these, though. I will be at MOD in Palm Springs and I will be at Disneyland the last weekend in September. I would be happy to bring them if anyone is interested.
Louis

PM sent...

J

I wanted to let you guys know that White Devil and I ended up settling on a 50/50 split on the broken Pele statue. It was a crappy situation, especially in that White Devil was responding to my WTB post and wasn't actively marketing his Pele when I purchased it. I appreciate his effort to help me get one of these statues and am bummed out it didn't work out as we both had wanted. But the purpose of this post is to give props to White Devil for working the situation out with me.

Mahalo, and best wishes for the Ki'o Wai.

TD

NOW! Who would like a COOKIE?

HT

Okay, but to keep it relevant, they have to be these ones:

M

those cookies look real good! they aren't made out of cement are they?

Pages: 1 34 replies