Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

The Starlight Voodoo Room

Pages: 1 12 replies

Hello all!

Here's the start of my humble entry into the rabbit hole. The Starlight Voodoo Room. This (poorly) stitched together panorama gives a basic idea of what I've done over the past month or so. Shoestring budget, making do with what I have, and what I can get on the cheap.

Bamboo fencing from Home Depot, cut to fit around my windows. Cheap shelving from the Swedes, my bar on the back wall is made of re-purposed Chinese AK47 ammo crates that I secured together and mounted. Corner with my music gear. Mandatory leopard-print futon, good for napping and reading. Bunch of kid's Halloween monster masks I've accumulated. Wall shrine to Lux Interior.

Paper lanterns painted in voodoo style by the masterful Shane Morton.

Anyway, it's a start. Thanks for lookin'!

[ Edited by: blacktopkid 2013-07-28 23:34 ]

EJ

Nice work. Wolfman has a hold on Bulleit and what else? Nice photos. Need more. Let's have a close up of the Les Paul.

A

Looks great. The green really makes everything else pop

Cool and different. I like it :D. Great job on those lanterns.

I really like those lanterns..great idea!

Nice looking room :)

M

Nice looking room, but no tiki?

Looks great I'm trying to do the same to my spare bedroom but collecting decorations is definitely slow going.

More tiki stuff is on it's way!

I was trying more to combine my love of tiki with my other obsessions (monster flicks, trashy garage rock, southern kitsch, etc..)

I've got the one fiberglass tiki there to the left of the bar, as well as a smaller one on the shelf above my computer that my uncle brought back from Hawaii circa 1961-62. I know for sure that my folks have another one that he brought back, but they're kind of attached to it.

Trying to expand on my glassware/mugs. I shattered all my TV's mai tai glasses, so I need to run downtown and pick up a couple more. I've got a spot here in town that is usually good for picking up a couple mugs every time I'm in there (just bought a little cup and a vintage Trader Dick's Moai mug there this weekend, and left behind about a dozen others).

Guitars on the wall are a Gretsch 6129T Silver Jet and a Squier 70's Precision Bass. The organs in the corner are a Vox Jaguar (May 1968) and an Ace Tone Top-5 (67-68). In the center of my music corner is a shrine to Lux Interior. I think Lux and his wife Ivy were not only the epitome of rock and roll cool (The Cramps), but they also had incredible taste in art, books, records, and everything else.

Trying to figure out what to do with the ceiling. Probably will do woven panels as my budget allows. In the coming weeks, I plan on building the bar to surround that giant glass display case. Basically a wood/bamboo framework that encloses the case, leaving the front open to display monster toys/action figures with strip lighting inside to show it all off.

I stay pretty busy and I live where I work. I run the last Drive-In Theatre in Atlanta (Starlight Six) and my house is here on the premises, so it is a much needed sanctuary to get away from my job, even if I don't get to leave the lot.

On 2013-07-28 23:55, El Jefe wrote:
Nice work. Wolfman has a hold on Bulleit and what else? Nice photos. Need more. Let's have a close up of the Les Paul.

Pretty poorly stocked.. Bulleit, a bottle of Noah's Mill bourbon, some garbage called Topper's Rhum (some rum-based thing that I was gifted and will probably never open), a bottle of Absolut, a skull with some Sailor Jerry in it, a bottle of Sailor Jerry, and a bottle of Thunderbird wine (in case of emergency, break glass).

On 2013-07-31 08:19, blacktopkid wrote:
I run the last Drive-In Theatre in Atlanta (Starlight Six)

Ahhhh I love that place! Well I love drive-ins in general.

I used to live in Tampa, FL and I came up to Atlanta generally every month for about 5 years. The Starlight Six is great!

On 2013-07-31 10:18, SandraDee wrote:

On 2013-07-31 08:19, blacktopkid wrote:
I run the last Drive-In Theatre in Atlanta (Starlight Six)

Ahhhh I love that place! Well I love drive-ins in general.

I used to live in Tampa, FL and I came up to Atlanta generally every month for about 5 years. The Starlight Six is great!

Thanks!

If any of you are in the area, I would recommend coming out to the Starlight on Sunday September 1st. It is our annual DRIVE INVASION festival.

And if yer lucky, Jonny MacGowan will bring out his amazing "TRAILER VIC'S" portable tiki bar.

I am always amazed how people blend their various collections with Tiki...I like what you have done so far...that green/black painted wall is fabulous. Keep up the great work, you are doing good on the low budget (which most of us have).

A

Hi BlackTopKid :)

In the UK rockabilly, hotrods, horror & tiki are bedfellows! Nice to see a room with things you enjoy :)

Also its nice because its a green room in a sea of brown matting & thatch!

Pages: 1 12 replies