Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge 7-31-13 July Birthdays

Pages: 1 2 replies

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge Playlist: July 31, 2013

On this week’s show we celebrated the birthdays of several great musicians who entered this mortal coil during the jejune month of July.

Dr. Zarkov’s Tiki Lounge is broadcast on Wednesdays, 5-6 pm EDT at: http://www.radiofairfax.org The show is broadcast live; no recorded shows are archived. Some fans choose to record it on their computers to listen to later. Radio Fairfax also can be heard on Tune In Radio at tunein.com, and can be streamed on smartphones by downloading the Tunein app. It also can be streamed on Roku and Google TV at: http://tinyurl.com/3uqfsz9

1. “Pandanus” by The Peter Moon Band from their notable 1982 album: Cane Fire! featuring Birthday Boy Martin Pahinui on Bass, along with his brother Cyril Pahinui on Slack-Key Guitar, Peter Moon on Ukulele and Slack-Key Guitar, and Merv Ching on Drums and Percussion.

2. “Hula Blues,” the 1920 song by Johnny Noble and Sonny Cunha and recorded by our Birthday Boy, the Slack Key Guitar Master Sonny Chillingworth on his CD: Endlessly.

3. “Portrait of Louis Armstrong” from the New Orleans Suite composed by Duke Ellington and commissioned by George Wein for the 1970 New Orleans Jazz Festival, recorded by Ellington’s orchestra that same year, featuring three of our July Birthday Boys: Cootie Williams on Trumpet, Johnny Hodges on Alto Sax and Paul Gonsalves on Tenor Sax.

4. “Lazy River,” The 1930 song by Hoagy Carmichael and Sidney Arodin, performed by our Birthday Boy Clarinetist Pete Fountain and His Band, recorded live at the Superbowl in Miami in 1976 and taken from the bountiful and bodacious box set: Doctors, Professors, Kings & Queens: The Big Ol' Box of New Orleans.

5. “I Got It Bad and That Ain't Good,” sung in 1941 by Birthday Girl Ivie Anderson fronting the Duke Ellington Orchestra, on her rapturous retrospective: I've Got the World on a String. This song was composed by the Duke along with Ben Webster.

6. “Petootie Pie” by our Birthday Boy Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five, from the Box Set also called Louis Jordan and His Tympany Five, recorded in the mid-forties with a young Ella Fitzgerald on vocal duet with Gentleman Jordan.

7. “Don't Call It Love” sung by Birthday Honoree Johnny Hartman on his 1963 LP: I Just Dropped By to Say Hello, featuring his fellow July Birthday Celebrant Hank Jones on Piano along with Milt Hinton on Bass and Elvin Jones on Drums.

8. “Love Me or Leave Me,” composed by Gus Kahn and Walter Davidson for the 1930 movie version of the 1928 Ziegfeld Broadway musical comedy: Whoopee! a radio broadcast recorded live in 1945 at the Plantation Club in Los Angeles by our July Birthday Celebrant Billy Eckstine and His Orchestra, featuring Mr. B on Vocal, of course, Fats Navarro on Trumpet, Gene Ammons on Tenor Sax and Art Blakey on Drums, taken from the CD Box Set: The Fats Navarro Story.

9. “I Got Rhythm [Guy's Got to Go]” the George and Ira Gershwin tune written for the 1930 Broadway musical: Girl Crazy, recorded live around 1940 by the Benny Goodman Band, featuring our Birthday Boy Charlie Christian with Jo Jones on Drums, taken from the collection: On the Air.

10. “Comes Love,” the 1939 song by Samuel Stept and Charles Tobias sung in 1955 by our Birthday Girl Helen Merrill on her LP: Helen Merrill With Strings, featuring her fellow July Birthday Celebrant Hank Jones on Piano, with Barry Galbraith on Guitar; Milt Hinton on Bass and Sol Gubin on Drums with the Orchestra Arranged and Conducted by Richard Hayman.

11. “Facin' the Face,” the 1945 recording arranged by Buster Harding for Tenor Saxophonist Ike Quebec’s Quintet, taken from the collection: Blue Harlem, featuring Birthday Boy Tiny Grimes on Guitar, along with Jonah Jones on Trumpet, Tyree Green on Trombone, Roger “Ram” Ramirez on Piano, Oscar Pettiford on Bass and J.C. Heard on Drums.

12. “Harlem Nocturne,” the 1939 song by Earle Hagen and Dick Rogers waxed by our Birthday Boy Sam the Man Taylor and His Cat Men, and featured on the concupiscent collection: Tease – The Beat of Burlesque.

13. “Candy,” composed by Alex Kramer, Joan Whitney and Mack David, originally introduced by Jo Stafford and The Pied Pipers, performed here in 1975 by The Manhattan Transfer and taken from their Anthology: Dream in Birdland, featuring our Birthday Boy John Faddis on Trumpet.

14. “Mambo Inn,” composed by Mario Bauzá , Edgar Sampson and Bobby Woodlen, and played by our Birthday Celebrant, master pianist, composer and Jazz advocate Billy Taylor, from his 1954 LP: The Billy Taylor Trio With Candido.

15. “Lahaina Luna” performed by our Birthday Celebrant Barney Isaacs and George Kuo and appearing on the anthemic anthology: Legends of the Hawaiian Steel Guitar – Past, Present & Future.

I was listening!!! What a great show!

DZ

On 2013-07-31 15:40, SPYrateRadio wrote:
I was listening!!! What a great show!

Thanks so much for listening. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Pages: 1 2 replies