Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Gallery

Photo Realism Tiki Painting by James Owens

Pages: 1 10 replies

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Aug 2, 2013 9:30 AM

James Owens has been flexing his painting muscle by doing some photo realistic stuff lately. He came to the Hideaway a few weeks ago and took some pictures of my mug collection. This painting is the result.

T

That's fantastic! What is the medium?

Thanks Swanky! I dig James Owens vintage & pinup style.

S

That is the absolute best tiki mug painting I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing!

I would have thought that was the photograph. It would be great if he did step by steps on the "other crafts" page. I'd love to watch his technique. Wendy

That's an amazing picture! You must be very happy with how it turned out.

Wow, that's absolutely brilliant! I second Wendy, it'd be great to see step by steps.

THUD!. . . Bravo on the piece!

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Aug 5, 2013 9:23 AM

It is oil.

Hey Swanky thanks for posting this.
Just to let everyone know it is oil on canvas 24 x 36 inches.
If you would like a little insight into how it's done you can check out an article I wrote for "My Ride Is Me". The nice folks over there asked me to do a tutorial and this article is what I came up with.

http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/hot-rod-art-by-james-owens/

Thank you all for the kind words.
A big thank you to Swanky for letting me photograph his collection.

Jim O.

P.S. I use the same techniques for the photo real work. The only difference is that a lot more time is taken to refine each brush stroke rather than letting the brush strokes show.

[ Edited by: DtroitDinosaur 2013-08-05 11:38 ]

Had to double take that it was a painting and not a photo! Great work, can't wait to check out your tutorial.

Pages: 1 10 replies