Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Portland Oregon Tiki Bars

Pages: 1 11 replies

C

Thought I'd share this article about a few bars in Portland that seem to be doing up some decent drinks.. Check out the slide show to see and read a description of each drink.. Any Portlanders out there?..

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2013/03/portland-oregon-tiki-drinks-rum-cocktails-hale-pele-rum-club-best-tiki-bars.html

K

Blair runs a really tight ship there, though I haven't experienced it first hand give I'm in LA. I'd say Hale Pele would be a reason to visit Portland without a doubt.

I went to Hale Pele tonight and knocked off another three rums from my Fire Drinkers map. I took care of the Batavia Arrack from Indonesia, the Zacapa, and the Zacapa 20 year. Also had a three dots and a dash and a rum pot. This was an excellent warm up and then I went out to do some beer drinking...

My liver is feeling well exercised.

Blair is doing an incredible job.

I picked up a Fire Drinkers loball glass also. Very cool!

Yeah, there are a few Portlanders out here! :wink:

Hale Pele is great, and the Trader Vic's here is also top-notch.

K

On 2013-08-12 12:17, Rum Balls wrote:

I find that surprising, given both Vic's in LA are just awful.

On 2013-08-12 17:13, kkocka wrote:

On 2013-08-12 12:17, Rum Balls wrote:

I find that surprising, given both Vic's in LA are just awful.

Trader Vic's Portland is top-notch. I wrote about it elsewhere here on TC last year. Their bar, the cocktails, and the food was how a Trader Vic's should be. From the standpoint of sheer "tikiness" of the atmosphere and décor it exceeded the former Trader Vic's in Palo Alto.

It is sad that there are so many reports of crappy Trader Vic's restaurants. It is good that there are at least a few which still hold the standard high.

I've heard nothing but good things about Tokyo, Munich, London, Atlanta, Portland, Emeryville, and even first hand rave reviews about the LA Live location. I personally spent many great evenings in Palo Alto and helped create many Trader Vic fans of colleagues who went on a regular basis. What Palo Alto lacked in fish nets, fishing floats and puffer fish it made up for with many spectacular authentic Pau Pau New Guinea carvings and a great staff of dedicated employees.

It's not like Tiki is taking the world by storm so it is sad to see Tikicentralites, no matter how new they are, take cheap shots at Tiki institutions.

On 2013-08-13 08:48, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
It's not like Tiki is taking the world by storm so it is sad to see Tikicentralites, no matter how new they are, take cheap shots at Tiki institutions.

Understood. But you do see that there have been (and still are) some pretty big differences between the quality of the experiences at various Trader Vic's locations? I'm not sure if that's what you meant by "taking pot-shots" at various tiki establishments.

I was afraid that comment might be misunderstood! It was directed at kkocka who posted only to "contribute" this opinion that both LA Trader Vic's were "just awful". I've heard in person from another long term TikiCentralite who really enjoys the LA Live location and am convinced that the world is better off that it exists than if it were burned to the ground!

Of course we are all entitled to our opinions and prefer one Tiki bar over another. I'd just like posts that comment on tiki establishments to be informative so new members to the Tiki community can decide for themselves what they prefer. Drive by shootings should be discouraged!

While this is getting way off topic I have to say that while the Beverly Hills location may not be very "Tiki" I love the fact that they have a very complete Trader Vic's cocktail menu (45+ drinks in the strong section) and topless wahinies on the menu cover. Now that's "old school" tiki to me! Their drink menu is similar to what was served in Palo Alto. Both LA Live and Emeryville have abbreviated menus with only about 16 strong drinks although they can make some off-menu drinks if it isn't too busy. I don't like the fact that their drink prices are 50+ percent higher than Emeryville but what can I expect in Beverly Hills?

[ Edited by: TropicDrinkBoy 2013-08-13 09:54 ]

I know you meant well, I wasn't trying to poke you, and really appreciate the informative and detailed follow-up. I think you're right on track. I hope kkocka will appreciate the tip to be a little more informative in the future. I remember when I was a new poster here too.

Yes, we're off-topic, but you made many good points, totally worthwhile. :)

K

I'm sorry, maybe I was thinking about this mess: http://youtu.be/nMeT7n7hFxU
Likewise from fellow tiki goers throughout SoCal, and even Yelp, LA Live's Trader Vic's has never had amazing feedback. I always hear of corner cuts.

But glad Portland's is doing well. In fact, I find it surprising (and cool) that Portland has a little scene of its own. I never would have figured.

I'm not surprised at all that you have a tiki scene -- Portland has amazing dining and drinking options. There are also some very artistic and creative entrepreneurs (and patrons) to start things and to keep the ball rolling. I have had some really fun times in Portland!

Pages: 1 11 replies