Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis for the non-drinker

Pages: 1 11 replies

C

Got home yesterday from my 8th Tiki Oasis and it did not disappoint.

Next year my Dad and my new Step Mom are thinking about joining the fun. My question is to the folks here who did not drink. My folks are not drinkers and won't be the type to go to parties, mixology symposiums, etc. Do you still think they will find enough to keep them occupied without getting involved in the boozy side of things? We are talking about a 70 yr old man and a 60 yr old woman. I do not want to dissuade them from coming along but since I do drink, I want to hear from a few folks who don't.

T

Catmoma,
I have been to many T.O in the past but always drank my fair share of rum. I am in my sixties and this year I was unable to partake in any alcohol libations. I had a great time and enjoyed the room crawls sober. It was nice waking up not hanging but I will make up for my abstinence next year. Bring on yer parents.

I don't drink but greatly enjoy TO each year. Get yourself some pineapple juice for your parents tiki mug and no one will know the difference. I took my mom (77) and she had lots of fun. And by the way, Martin Cate's symposiums are very entertaining, even for non-drinkers.

I don't drink either and always have a blast every year! Get Shirley Temple WASTED! :D

D
DJLee posted on Fri, Aug 23, 2013 3:48 PM

I did most of the event sober this year, except for Sunday night. I had a lot going on there this year plus was feeling on the brink of a cold. Once all my responsibilities were wrapped up, I celebrated with three drinks from the back porch bar. I enjoyed the event(mostly) sober as much as previous years being drunk for four days!

D
DJLee posted on Fri, Aug 23, 2013 3:49 PM

I did most of the event sober this year, except for Sunday night. I had a lot going on there this year plus was feeling on the brink of a cold. Once all my responsibilities were wrapped up, I celebrated with three drinks from the back porch bar. I enjoyed the event(mostly) sober as much as previous years being drunk for four days!

D
DJLee posted on Fri, Aug 23, 2013 3:49 PM

C

Thanks guys. I hope my folks decide to tag along next year. It really would be something very different for them but I think they would have a blast. i wish they came this year since the Lucky Stars are one of my Dad's favorites.

I only had 2 drinks Fri. Afternoon.
And 2 beers sat.
At my size, I barely got a buzz from those drinks.
The beers might as well have been waters.
I enjoyed myself for the most part.
I know that getting up early was fairly easy with no hangover.

Jeff btd

My Mom is 94 now and has been to a couple of Tiki Oasis parties. She bitches about the drinking and didn't care for some of the music, but she likes the people angle and a lot of folks know my Mom. She was thrilled when some folks gave her Tiki pendants.

Bring your folks, it is quieter in some areas of the hotel, so that can be helpful. I agree that there are so many things to do and so many awesome symposiums, vendors and bands, certainly give it a try once.

C
Cammo posted on Sat, Aug 24, 2013 5:34 PM

I go for the music. The best music this side o' paradise.

Are they into CUSTOMIZED CARS?

Hey, DJLee, did you do most of the event sober?

C

My Dad is a huge "car guy" so yes the car show stuff would be a hit for him and I might bring one of my cars for the show next year. I have the feeling they would be in bed each night by 9 so making sure they are in the quiet zone of the hotel would be good. I always get a poolside balcony myself.

Pages: 1 11 replies