Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Looking for drink recommendations

Pages: 1 17 replies

I'm overwhelmed by all the choices in Beachbum's books and as much as I love a Mai Tai, I'm looking for some variety. What are your three favorite tiki drinks?

(This has been asked before in various forms over the years, but new and modified recipes have come to light since then, and I felt one suggestion was too few and ten was too many.)

I made this last night, both wife and I loved it.

2 oz silver rum
1 oz orange curacao
1/4 oz fallernum
2 oz grapefruit juice
1/2 oz Don's Mix
2 oz lemon mix

Shake with ice, add sprig of mint.

[ Edited by: Canned Tuna 2013-08-21 06:50 ]

My 3 favorite drinks are Ray's Mistake, Jet Pilot and Lapu Lapu. I also like the Piranha Pool, a slushy drink you can get at Trader Sam's.

S

The heaviest rotation at the Hideaway are below, edited for uniqueness:

Jasper's Jamaican - but cut the lime in half.
Derby Daiquiri - Only if you fresh squeeze the OJ
Jet Pilot
Swanky Swizzle, which based on the 2070 Swizzle which is based on the 151 Swizzle.
Nui Nui

D

You might try some variation of a Planter's Punch. And a Daiquiri is always good -- and easy.

The holiest of trinities:

Mai Tai
Navy Grog
Zombie

Can never go wrong. I've also been having Hurricane Heyward's recipe for the Black Magic. Mighty tasty.

I recently wrote up a post including some TIKI style cocktails. They may help you decide on ones to try out! Or at least give you ideas for making your own up! :)

http://theferventshaker.wordpress.com/2013/08/12/the-shark-that-walked-like-a-man/

In regular rotation at home from Beachbum Books:

Mai Tai
Jet Pilot
Boo Loo
Donga Punch
Zombie
Remsberg Swizzle
various Navy Grogs
Barrel O Rum
Don's Special Daiquiri
Hurricane
Coconaut

I've been doing Mai Tai's and Derby Daiquiri's lately. But I agree with previous poster, only fresh squeezed orange juice.

A

Im pretty sure TikiTacky has had a few drinks before but Im going to assume he has very little in his booze cabinet :)

I try & be a bit smart when I recommend drinks to people so that they have all the ingredients make lots of other drinks. With that in mind, I recommend probably my actual favourites & explain a little bit how making them will be to his advantage:

No 1) Navy Grog
No 2) Three Dots & a Dash
No 3) Coconaut

For those first two you'll need a gold puerto rican rum, a gold jamaican rum, a gold demerara rum, a gold rhum agricole, grapefruit, limes, orange, honey, bitters, pimento dram & falernum.

If you use a dark demerara rum instead of a gold demerara rum for Three Dots, it'll really it perk up IMO & you'll have another rum to try in different situations.

I could have picked a complicated drink as number 3 to bump up the ingredients but Coconaut a more recent invention that is just damn tasty :) Why did no-one think of it earlier!?! Also if you get a dark Jamaican rum you have a little more versatility over just a gold Jamaican rum.

If I was to recommend a fourth, fifth & sixth drink for people to make, it'd be a Test Pilot, Dons Special Diaquiri & Missionarys Downfall. All are great & the extra ingredients required (pernod, cinnamon syrup, passion fruit syrup, a good white mixing rum) mean you can make almost any drink I can think of :)

Someone will point out Ive missed something but that's a hell of a lot of potential drinks! :)

[ Edited by: AdOrAdam 2013-08-21 13:45 ]

my 3 personal favorite "tiki drinks" are:

1. the Yeoman's Grog (which is basically a combination of the Trader Vics' and the Donn the Beachcomber versions of navy grogs)

2. the Noa Noa (which is basically a Queen's Park Swizzle); and

3. the Kama'Aina.

But, to me the 5 most "famous" tiki drinks are the MaiTai, the Scorpion Bowl, the Fogcutter, the Zombie, and the Navy Grog.

the Zombie or Navy Grog would be fun drinks for you to tackle next, given the interesting histories and competing recipe variations for each of these two drinks.

Looks like the Navy Grog is a winner for sure. I'll look through and try and rank the others based on votes.

D

Bum Barrel (similar to a rum barrel but no blender)
Pearl Diver (has heavy cream so you cant drink a ton, does use a blender, I would recommend making a double on this, it is a bit of work but oh so good, and cut the heavy cream in half, if you are using heavy whipping cream)

L

Only three? That's too hard...

1. Zombie (1934 version)
  2. Missionary's Downfall (remixed version)
  3. 151 Swizzle (Hurricane Hayward's tribute recipe)
  4. Coconaut
  5. Luau Scorpion
  6. Nui Nui
  7. The Dead Reckoning
  8. Navy Grog with pimento liqueur (Yeoman’s Grog)
  9. Captain's Grog
  10. Puka Punch

[ Edited by: LeChuck 2013-08-22 00:51 ]

It comes to my attention i forgot to actually post a recipe in my last comment... My bad!
I think my favoruite style Tiki cocktails are Mai-Tai style drinks.
The mixture of the 3 rum types along with pineapple and citrus juice just taste heavenly to me.

My favourite at the moment is:
1 1/2 measure dark rum
3/4 measure light rum
1/2 measure Grand Marnier
1/2 measure simple syrup
1 lemon, juiced
1 lime, juiced
1 orange, juiced
8 measures pineapple juice
1/2 teaspoon grenadine

Hope that one helps you out a bit :)

S

My other stand-by drink picker is to go to The Grogalizer and sort the drinks by average rating. First make anything that is an 8 or higher that you never tried before, then just make the best ones according to your ratings.

Be sure to rate everything you try while it is fresh so you have a ready record of what you have made and how you liked it for later.

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

[ Edited by: Swanky 2013-08-22 09:03 ]

Looks like the top three that most people agree on are Mai Tai, Navy Grog, and Jet Pilot, with Zombie being close behind. I'm on a medication that doesn't like grapefruit juice, is there any point in trying the Navy Grog without it?

Previous relevant post: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=45900&forum=10&15

There are 2 navy grog versions to my mind, don beach with honey & trader vic with sugar & pimento. I prefer the don beach version.

I think the honey & grapefruit combo is what works in the don beach version, I would make the trader vic version & use fresh OJ instead of grapefruit (OJ is great with pimento).

Sub away!

Pages: 1 17 replies