Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

My first Tiki Mug

Pages: 1 23 replies

Hi all, I'm starting my first Tiki mug, and I'll be posting my progress here. I've been a sculptor for years, bit I've never tried to cast ceramic slip. Most of my sculptures are either latex masks, silicone busts or resin model kits, so ceramic slip is a new one...

My first step was the mug sculpture, I have about 100 designs drawn up but what to start with, I decided to go with a Harryhausen inspired Cyclops design being fairly simple.

Next thing was to make a mold, now I've made probably 1000 molds in my life, but they usually need to be as thin as possible for weight reasons. This one needed to be a good thick boxy one. So I did some research and found some resources online, and started.
The first step was to figure out how many pieces the mold needed to be, in this case 4 seems to be the right number. Part one was the face,

He looks a little nervous about what's about to happen....

Once that piece was molded and cleaned up, I started to block out part 2 of the mold.

Part 3 came next and then the plug for the bottom to finish it up.

Now it's just a waiting game to let the mold dry for a few days. I have my slip ready to go and I'm really having a hard time waiting. While making this mold I decided that a more durable master sculpture might be a good idea for the next mug that I make. I have the second mug sculpted, a little shrunken head...

So I decided that moving forward I would make a silicone master copy of my sculpture and use that to make the molds, then I could make as many molds of the same mug as I need.

I started to do this as a fun way to make myself a mug or two, but if it turns out I may sell a few of these mugs if people are interested. I need to finish one first, so I'll try not to get ahead of myself here. All I know is I'm really having fun making these.

Thanks for looking, I'd love to hear what you all think...

BT

Looking pretty good so far, hopefully they work out good.

I still need to get around to making a mold myself.

Kool

Welcome to Tiki Central Tipsy Yeti, always room for more artists. You may catch a little flak that the Cyclops isn't really "tiki" but you are an amazing sculptor. And that has got to be the cleanest mold I have ever seen. Good luck with you slip casting!

Those look very nice. I like the detail.

Thanks for the welcome, I really want to make a few mugs that are really different than anything that I've seen before. I will also have a drink concocted by my mixologist friend for each mug that I make. Thanks again for looking, More to come.

JJ6

Glad to see you posted these here Yeti. Looking forward to the other pieces that you have lined up!

The first of my mugs are out of their molds and drying. I don't own a kiln, but there is a company here in SF where I can get them fired. Once I have a dozen of each I will get them fired and then onto some glazing tests.
I know these are not everyone's cup of tea, ( or rum) but I am also doing several traditional designs as well. I really appreciate any input that you all might have to share. The wealth of knowledge and talent here is Awesome.

A

Just saw your 'monkey in a fez' sculpt, now these earlier ones - still, just WOW! :)

I have to say your step by steps are more interesting that some others I have seen..mainly because I am digging these designs so much!

Can't wait to see some of your finished glazed pieces!

TY

As I progress through this process, it occurred to me that if I can make some more molds of these designs then the whole process will move along much faster. Casting one mug a day is for the birds. I decided that 10 of each mold would be a good number. That way I can just bring 100 pieces to the place with the kiln every couple of weeks. But making the original mold took an entire day, so I wanted to figure out a way to make multiple molds quickly. I figured " what if I considered each part of the mold to be a sculpture and mold them?" So that's what I did. In my previous work I've made hundreds of silicone rubber molds and thousands of plaster molds, I began by building mold boxes around all of the mold pieces.

Using foam core and hot glue...

Then mixed up enough mold making silicone to fill the boxes to the required thickness. After degassing the silicone I simply poured the silicone over the top of the mold models and filled the boxes.

The silicone took many hours to cure, so the next day I simply dismantled the mold boxes and removed the original plaster mold pieces from their new molds.

Then I mixed up enough pottery plaster to fill the silicone molds and poured it in, being careful to release all the air bubbles that may form on the serfice of the silicone.

After the plaster had set, warmed up and began the cool down I carefully pulled the new mold pieces from the silicone master molds. Then I assembled them and set the new production molds aside to dry.

Using this method, I was able to make all 10 of my production molds in 2 days. It may not be a new method but I've not seen it used here yet.
Hope this is interesting to some of you.
Thanks for looking.

S

You make it look so easy!

Look forward to seeing the completed mugs.

So very cool ... I have never seen anyone make mold copies that way before .....

TY

The first 8 artist proof mugs are back from bisque firing, I glazed them and they are heading back to the place with the kiln tomorrow. I hope by the end of the week I can see the fruits of my labors.

Thanks for looking...

Artist proofs are back from the kiln, Slight changes needed on the Cyclops, but all in all I'm really satisfied how they turned out.

Thanks for looking all...

BTW, if anyone is going to try my multi mold making trick, be advised that your original plaster mold will be ruined for clay slip afterwords.

Pretty amazing mug, especially for your first! I am excited to see what else you have in store for us.

Those turned out great. If you're going to be selling the cyclops mugs I'm definitely interested - I love Harryhausen.

V

Nice mugs!

And a big Mahalo for documenting the process - that's the kind of cool art stuff that makes me love the creating tiki thread so much!

Henrik "VanTiki"

T

Hey I really like your little shrunken head mug!
Great job keep postin!

Wow, Thanks for the great response. These are more tiki style so I didn't think I was going to get many positive comments. The first 8 of each are sold, but I'm running a production run of the Cyclops 100 pcs. and then the shrunken head. ( I have a small shop) I'm making the molds for the Leisure chimp today. (see "my next mug" posting)
Please send me a message if your interested in the production run of either of these.
Thanks again for making me feel so welcomed.

Congratulations on your mug success...keep em coming!!!

T

While your Cyclops mug is cool, it kinda leans to the monster side of tiki.
There are a lot of tiki/monster/lego/pie/bacon/hot rod/Star wars, people here though.
The little shrunken head mug would make a cool shot glass as well.
I know shots are not really tiki.

Can't wait to see your next mug!

BACON! oh what Skip said......

TT

http://bootiki.bigcartel.com

The store is open with a bunch of new designs.

Pages: 1 23 replies