Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tennessee Tiki

Pages: 1 7 replies

F

Hola,
As a newbie here, thought it’d be neighborly to post a quick hello and introduce myself. I’ve been interested in the “tiki bar culture” since the early eighties while attending art school in Fort Lauderdale.

A couple careers and moves later, I now live in the mountains of East Tennessee – not exactly a thriving tiki community around here so I travel the web to get my fix. In my quest for something a little more tangible, I’ve begun a project in my backyard; sort of a tiki/cantina ( a cantiki?) by converting an old barnwood shed into an outdoor bar. My motto has always been that “anything worth doing is worth overdoing.” So the project has grown in scope quite a bit.

The master plan features ponds, waterfalls, an outdoor firepit and of course, the bar. I’ve begun craving tiki into several of the tree trunks located at the base of the “lower party level” and, just this past weekend found a local garden center who has Easter Island type figurines in their concrete lawn decoration section.

You can view some pics of the work in progress at:
http://www.picturetrail.com/fastco

I’d love to hear your comments and suggestions on the backyard, and look forward to reading more here at tiki central!

Michael

T

Michael

You aren't all that far from a GREAT tiki restaurant - the Omni Hut in Smyrna is well worth a visit. It is BYOB, but the food is well above average Chinese food, and the place is clean, friendly, and definitely Tiki-fied.

There is also a run down bar in Knoxville simply called the Tiki Lounge, but I can't recommend it.

A place listed in Tiki Road Trip called the Tiki Beach Club (in Clarksville) has closed; I drove by and took a picture of the remains while on my way home from Hukilau last month. Looked like a dance club; you didn't miss much.

Now, the pics of your place look promising - stick with it!

Now, James....Tsk, Tsk...you forgot to mention the Shangri-La and the Kon Tiki Paradise Room. I'm docking your pay. (Please P.M. me, James..I have to show you something; something that may cut the Maori loose)

Hi Michael,

Maybe you guys can come and visit us in Knoxville!

Swanky and I have a home tiki bar in our basement , Shangri-La, and we organize Hukilau every year -this year being held in Ft. Lauderdale - you can see and read about it in the Tiki Events section.

We also have lots of side projects that we work on involving music mostly. We're assisting in promoting a local rockabilly show here in Knoxville on August 8th featuring the Camaros of Nashville, TN. Maybe you can make it?

Also, we're organizing an evening at the Omni Hut for the fall. You can email us at [email protected]

Thanks for the plug Basement Kahuna!

Yee-Haw & Aloha,

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2003-07-10 15:12 ]

[ Edited by: tiki_kiliki on 2003-07-10 15:18 ]

F

Thanks for the pointers on the local venues! Kiliki, the knoxville gig sounds like a must-do... I'll see if we can clear up the calendar for that!

I'll send you details as soon as I know them and you guys can come over for cocktails and conversation before if you'd like and after - the band usually stays with us.

On 2003-07-10 15:11, tiki_kiliki wrote:
Also, we're organizing an evening at the Omni Hut for the fall

Do tell!

Polly, the owner, is super-nice. I also drove by there on my way home from Hukilau (One of six Tiki-stops on the trip home!). But they were on vacation, so I didn't get to say Hi. I am due for a return visit to the Omni.

I was going to go down to Mammoth Cave at some point this summer (and stay at the Wigwam, natch), but if there's a gonna be a lil' mini Hukilau at Omni Hut, I'll make a weekend out of it...

Don't keep us in suspense!

Anytime at the Omnihut - Are Go!

Pages: 1 7 replies