Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Lori's Tiki-riffic Hawaii trip! August 15 - 24, 2013

Pages: 1 16 replies

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions and helped me plan our recent trip to Hawaii. My husband and I had a great trip to 4 islands, met 5 tc peeps, bought mugs, decorations, a new tiki calendar and a bunch of other stuff, drank numerous mai tais and had a fantastic time! Since you were so helpful to me I thought I'd share our trip and some reviews/suggestions in hopes it will be helpful to others.

We flew direct from Newark, NJ to Honolulu – 10.5 hours and it was torturous! Seriously, if we had to do it again we’d stop over, even if it was just to stretch our legs. We had Trader Vic’s mai tais from a bottle, just to start things off.

After landing we headed directly to La Mariana. The décor is fabulous but I wasn't overly impressed with the food or my Mai Tai. But I did get to purchase a brown handled Wendy mug.

We stayed at the Hyatt Waikiki Beach for two night before our cruise started. Great location and terrific view of the beach. The next morning we had a early tour to Pearl Harbor. Everyone needs to go there.

Upon our return we changed clothes to go on our walking Waikiki tiki tour with Phillip Roberts.

We lucked into being able to tag along on the very last tour which was arranged by Pittsburgh Pauly. Pauly & Phillip were kind enough to let us join them. This was a definite highlight of our trip! We saw so much and Phillip showed us things we would never have seen without him. I couldn't have liked Pauly and his friends more either and we all had the most delicious Mai Tais at the Royal Hawaiian. They were my favorite of the entire trip. Although no others really compared I did my very best to compare as you will see if you read on. The Royal Hawaiian’s bar is in the perfect location and the company was excellent. I got a copy of Waikiki Tiki and Phillip signed it as well.

After our group split up my husband and I needed to get something to eat. We end up at Tiki's Grill drinking another Mai Tai and dinner. Of course we purchased the mugs our drinks came in which were quite garish but manage to make me smile! Three Mai Tai’s can cloud a person’s judgment you know! Jet lag hit again and after Hula’s we called it a night.

I'll post more about Maui, The Big Island (we visited both Hilo & Kona), Kauai and the North Shore of Oahu another time.

:)
Lori

[ Edited by: LoriLovesTiki 2013-08-31 18:43 ]

D
Dagg posted on Fri, Aug 30, 2013 3:16 PM

On 2013-08-28 18:22, LoriLovesTiki wrote:

After our group split up my husband and I needed to get something to eat. We end up at Hula’s Grill drinking another Mai Tai and dinner. Of course we purchased the mugs our drinks came in which were quite garish but manage to make me smile! Three Mai Tai’s can cloud a person’s judgment you know! Jet lag hit again and after Hula’s we called it a night.

I'll post more about Maui, The Big Island (we visited both Hilo & Kona), Kauai and the North Shore of Oahu another time.

Looks like you had a great time!!!

Hula's Grill? do you mean Tiki's Grill and Bar? I only ask because I bought the mugs as well.

sweet
glad u guys had fun...
more pics.....

jon

Aloha,

It was a pleasure!! Yeah, those mugs are from Tiki's Gril and Bar.

yup, Tiki's! OOps.

I'll edit. Must be residual Mai Tai influence......

Part 2

When our ship (the Pride of America) left Honolulu it sailed overnight to Maui. The next morning we got off the ship and went to pick up our rental car. We drove towards the Road to Hana. In retrospect we went way too far for a 2 stay on Maui. we should have listened to Scott (BeachBumz) and turned around sooner. When I was the passenger the drive made me feel nauseous. But when I was driving I felt fine. So I drove most of the time until we were back on "regular" roads again, then my husband drove. When you pull over on the side of the road (and when you are driving too) this is what you see:

On the way back on the road to Hana we stopped at Twin Falls. After a REALLY long walk we finally found some falls:

That night we ate dinner at Mama's Fish House. Its said to be one of the nicest places on Maui. Dinner was fantastic and the service was great. Although I had a Mai Tai I resisted the urge to buy the clear mai tai glass with their name on it for $15.

The next day we headed towards Kihei because we were meeting Scott (BeachBumz) and Rob (MauiTiki) for lunch. I wanted to snorkel so we went to Makena Bay to hopefully see some turtles. I was able to see one and then actually swim with him! It was the coolest thing ever.

After snorkeling we met up with Scott and Rob and Scott's wife, Michelle who graciously watched beach Bumz so Scott could come to lunch. I bought a mug from each of them, which I failed to get a picture of before they so nicely packed them safely for transport and we all went to The Tiki Lounge for really good pizza and a Mai Tai of course! Afterwards, we had our first shaved ice which was SOOOOOO yummy, and not at like a snow cone! Thanks guys!!!

Next episode: The Big Island

Lori

[ Edited by: LoriLovesTiki 2013-08-31 19:25 ]

Swimmin with a Honu, priceless

Lori,
Keep the narrative and the pix flowing! My wife bought the clear "mug" at Mama's and when we unpacked it, turns out they gave us a coffee mug instead. One of my fav things in the A, M. is coffee in our backyard slice of paradise using that coffee mug from Mama's Fish House. What sweet memories'. So happy you enjoyed your trip-Please continue.
David And CeCe,
La Mirada, California

thanks David!

Next up was the Big Island. Our first port there was Hilo. I woke up early and managed to see the sunrise and got a picture from the boat. Not the best shot but being on the boat made it hard to catch sunrises and sunsets, which I like to photograph.

We got our rental and headed to Volcano National Park. I bought a long sleeved t-shirt b/c it was kind of cool. We went to the visitors center, drove up to one end for the view - where you could also see these steam vents, here's a picture:

went through the Thurston Lava tube and then took the 6 mile hike down into the floor of the volcano, across the bottom and back up. Thank goodness it wasn't sunny! It was nice but I'll never need to do it again. My husband and I found out we really aren't big hikers, btw. LOL

Lava Tubes

floor of the volcano

When we finished our hike and manged to find our car again we drove back down and stopped at the Mauna Lau macadamia nut factory where we bought macadamia nut Hershey kisses that aren't even available in Hershey, PA and some other snacks. Then we found Rainbow Falls. After all that walking we were excited to see this only a few feet from the parking lot!

Then we headed back to the boat because Hilo wasn't an overnight port. That night we sailed to the other side of the Big Island. Next stop Kona and lots of tiki goodness! Stay tuned....

KONA!

A great port for tiki goodness!

We were only there for a day (8am - 5pm or so) but we did as much as we could.

Went to The Royal Kona Hotel for breakfast and liked it so much we came back for mai tai's and lunch later!

You must go to the Place of Refuge!
PICS:

Thanks for indulging me!

[ Edited by: LoriLovesTiki 2013-09-16 19:11 ]

Aloha Lori - Wow Awesome Trip!!! Mahalo's again for stopping by the shop and having a some lunch and Mai Tai's with us.. Stoked you got to meet Gecko and and go to La Mariana on Oahu and Looks like Kona turned out to be a great day as well.. What did you think of those Mai Tai's over there? What that the reason you went back??? :wink:

Ok, I gotta go and try and find the pictures of your poolside Tiki bar again.. :wink:

Big Aloha to you both!

Aloha Scott!

It was a great trip and it was so much fun meeting you & Rob and having great pizza, shave ice & a mai tai! Not to mention the beautiful mugs I got to bring home.

I think Don's mai tai's were great and we went back for the view and to have a mai tai (or 2) since we didn't have any mai tai's with breakfast! And it was a place with tikis, which we don't have here in NJ.

Last port - Kauai.

On Kauai we again rented a car, this time a convertible RED Mustang - can you say tourist and toured the island. We went to Lydgate Beach to do a little snorkeling, found Opaeka'a Falls, went to the Hyatt, the Spouting Horn, Waimea Canyon, Koloa Rum Company and Duke's Canoe Club.

Here are some pictures from Kauai.
Spouting horn:

Hyatt Kauai

Opaeka'a Falls

Duke's Canoe club - seriously a great meal! not to miss, especially if you enjoy fish.

Waimea Canyon

Lori
Next up, final installment: Back on Oahu with Gecko and a visit to the North Shore!

[ Edited by: lorilovestiki 2013-09-18 17:49 ]

[ Edited by: LoriLovesTiki 2013-09-18 17:55 ]

[ Edited by: LoriLovesTiki 2013-09-18 17:57 ]

Lori, that looks like a wonderful vacation! You and your husband look like you had a lot of fun.

-Lori

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-10-02 10:38 ]

[i]On 2013-08-28 18:22, LoriLovesTiki wrote:

Is this Tiki at the Waikiki Hyatt Regency?

Nope. It is at the Princess Kaiulani and formally at the Sheraton Kon-Tiki room.

Lori- thanks for all the Big Island pics
Going next year......

Jon

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-10-15 17:58 ]

Pages: 1 16 replies