Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

The Return Of Big Kahuna

Pages: 1 2 57 replies

Fair Warning! I'm plotting a return to the Tiki Mecca of SoCal. Hide your women & your rum. You've been warned!!!

H

[ Edited by: hottiki 2015-10-13 20:18 ]

BK

Is that an invitation?

H

Yes BK, and there's even a hammock ...we are three miles from Trader Sam's....so could do a double header...save room on your card

BK

You've got a deal, Tom!

T

When are you heading out to So. Cal? Hopefully your travel dates will correspond with some tiki events out here on the west coast!

We always enjoy your visits to our sunny shores! Any other stops on your itinerary besides Trader Sam's?

See you soon!

BK

Eric:
I'm hoping to catch the opening of Tonga Hut Palm Springs, but I can't seem to get confirmation on the date.

Soooo, I'm thinking of hitting Disneyland. I've never been to the original ETR. Anyone else interested?

Let us know when you might be there. Lots of people love to frequent Trader Sams and a bunch of us have season passes to Disneyland. I am sure we could get some people there.

I would be more than happy to have you over to my home bar in San Diego, I will make you a Mai Tai and invite some San Diego ohana over. If you come down here, my wife and I are always looking for any excuse to go to Bali Hai as well. We have a good group of people having monthly meet ups at Bali Hai the first Monday of each month if you are in town then.

Just keep me posted. We have an extra room too that may be free. Enjoy your visit if I don't see you!

Rick! look forward to catching up with ya!

OK, tentative dates are 11/12-11/19. Anyone got any suggestions for activities?

On 2013-09-16 07:12, Big Kahuna wrote:
OK, tentative dates are 11/12-11/19.

I love how you are coming during the height of blizzard season in your part of the country.

Good luck with those dates!!

It's never blizzard season that time of year, unless I'm travelling! Last year it was a freaking hurricane! The snow hit the day I got back!

On 2013-09-16 11:55, Big Kahuna wrote:
It's never blizzard season that time of year, unless I'm travelling! Last year it was a freaking hurricane! The snow hit the day I got back!

Mother Nature is obviously trying to tell you to MOVE OUT WEST :)

On 2013-09-16 07:12, Big Kahuna wrote:
OK, tentative dates are 11/12-11/19. Anyone got any suggestions for activities?

According to the Don the Beachcomber calendar, The Hula Girls will be at the Dagger Bar on Saturday 11/16

Calendar: Don the Beachcomber

YES!

Sounds like we can plan a Don's meetup for the Hula Girls show
on Nov. 16th. let us know when you have a general idea for a schedule
and I will put that together, Rick.

Wait! Is that the same night Tonga Hut Palm Springs is scheduled to open?

Not sure if the Tonga Hut PS has a solid opening date yet?

We'll work it out. Always fun at The Dagger Bar with Spike & the gang. Last time I saw them there was the Saturday night before Art died. :cry: Is there any kind of anniversary memorial planned? Do we know when the "Art The Beachcomber" mug will be released?

BK

Booked my flight, today! Flying into LAX 11/12 PM & leaving 11/19 AM.

So far, I've got Hula Girls At Don's on 11/16, ETR probably 11/14, Slot Car Racing in Buena Park, visits to several home tiki bars, Don's 11/18, Tonga Hut 11/17. Any other bright ideas? Anyone daring enough to go ice-skating with me?

Hellz Yea!

You're on! Now, we need to get some chicks to go with us!

Oh wait! I wasn't talking about the Ice Skating, I was talking about you coming to town
did I mention my bad knee?

Spit on it! Walk it off! Rub some dirt in it!

You damn Bostonians & your Witchcraft!

Anyone got any reasonable, clean hotel suggestions? I could really use your help. I don't want to stay at The Goodnite Inn in Whittier, again!

Going way back to this thread, there is a list of lodging which is within stumbling distance to Don the Beachcomber

Tiki Central: Sunset Beach lodging

You got to scroll down a bit

Thanks, King.
Is Downey safe?

Did you pick a general base of operations yet?
what area's are you thinking about, so better to advise you on
Man, I wish we had an extra bedroom here...

I've stayed in Whittier, the last 2 years, because it was centrally located, but not exactly 5 star accommodations.

I would not want to stay in Downey, so you want to be central to LA & Disneyland area's ?

Would staying in downtown L.A. be an option?

Millennium Biltmore Hotel Los Angeles is a bit pricey $200 a night
super cool upscale hotel with some major history

But on a budget just down the street is http://www.stayonmain.com/
it is a hostel/hotel and very nice on a budget, we had a downtown L.A.
history/bar walk that John-O organized last month & many of us stayed there
everyone whom did liked it, modern & clean, Cole's is right around the corner.

The Pacific Inn in Seal Beach is nice and close to the freeways. You can even walk to the beach. Its on the same street as a tiki apartment building and its a short drive to Don the Beachcomber.

Do you need to be somewhat close to Whittier and Downey? Just East of Whittier and Downey is Buena Park. It's the home of Knott's so there is lots of lodging and since the Halloween Haunt is over, it is off season so it would be inexpensive. And this would include Knott's own hotel.

Knott's Hotel

And you can go down Valley View to PCH to get to Don the Beachcomber's. Or East on Katella to get to Disneyland and Trader Sam's.

BK

Thanks, again, King. I think Buena Park will be my base of operations. I'm looking at Besthost Inn, Day's Inn Buena Park & Baymont Inn Anaheim. They all look like decent values. Any input? I'm looking for clean, safe & economical. I don't need any amenities, just a place to sleep & shower.
Thanks,
Rick

[ Edited by: Big Kahuna 2013-11-01 06:53 ]

I'm getting negative feedback on Buena Park. Is it a bad area?

Ramada Costa Mesa is looking like a possibility. How's that area?

Well Costa Mesa is my turf, I don't know about the hotel, but the area is nice
parking & food is not an issue & it is clean & safe in most of the whole city.

TM

On 2013-11-01 10:06, Big Kahuna wrote:
I'm getting negative feedback on Buena Park. Is it a bad area?

Check out the radisson suites hotel buena park on beach blvd.

It's like a smaller version of the place they have tiki oasis at.

http://www.radisson.com/buena-park-hotel-ca-90620/cabuena?s_cid=se.ggl.rad_cmp58

BK

Welp! Narrowed it down to Torrance & Costa Mesa. Expedia had a two day 25% of sale at the Ramada, Inn Costa Mesa, for some reason. Sixty-Eight bucks a night! Costa Mesa it is!

Hey BK,
If ya'd like to stop by my place In Anaheim and see my tiki room
And mug collection etc. shoot me a email.

I dunno what yer schedule is, but I'm off Mondays n weekends.
Jeff btd

Big Kahuna on Sunset Boulevard.

I felt the disturbance in the force
when you got into town Rick, we be seeing you!

Lock up your women & your rum! Not necessarily in that order!

Rick & Luke paid a little visit to the Atomic Tiki Lounge
along with Doug & Stacey for a warmup to Don the Beachcomber
Saturday night.

Doug, Rick, Luke, Stacey & Nancy

Gorgeous Stacey

Rick & Luke with Cocktails...

The Handsome & Dapper Doug Horne

The Fabulous Jungle Ginger (Nancy) complete with Cocktail...

Pages: 1 2 57 replies