Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Home Tiki Bars

Our home IS a Tiki bar...

Pages: 1 14 replies

Whulp... as our home base is the sunny shores of Lake Michigan in Chicago (in a condo) we, unfortunately, don't have a basement (or an attic... or much extra space, period)... so Tiki has kind of taken over our entire living room and surrounding areas.

As it isn't a proper "bar," I hadn't had much reason to post in the "home bars" section yet, but the Chicago Reader here in town stopped by the other day and filmed a little video/article/photo spread on our joint.

Have a look (be sure to watch the video... it gives a better idea of what's shakin') and enjoy!

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/peter-klockau-katie-monachos-tiki-midcentury-modern/Content?oid=11069676

--Pete

[ Edited by: Ragbag Comics 2013-09-27 18:35 ]

T

LIKE your brick wall decor behind the TV! Thortiki

K

Amazing place. ...esp. love the llama bar!

Killerrrrrrrrrrrr

Jon

T

Dig it. Groovy video and dig your pad. Maybe post some more photos here? Haven't seen the llama bar before, dig all of the wall art, too!

I enjoyed the video, especially seeing how you've melded all the old monster memorabilia into the experience. I still have my Shogun Warriors Godzilla with the shooting fist also. And I'm still mad at the neighbor kid who broke off the flame tongue trigger pull. I count myself lucky to have one room devoted to Tiki but now I'm plotting to to have a monster room as well. Nicely done!

Very nice, Congrats on a nicely done article and video - and home :) I do believe there is a psychological connection between 60s Monster cool and 60s Tiki cool. The Mama Lama bar is a gem...does the Hala Kahiki still have the one in their shop?

Thanks all for the nice words!

Indeed, there seem to be a lot of connection points between 60's monsters and
tiki... I guess to me it always seemed like a natural progression, what
with the Ed Roth/Munsters "surf-guitar-and-monsters-in-hot-rods" stuff that's
mixed over into the rockabilly and instro surf scenes which have, in turn,
spilled into Tiki... "You got your surf monsters in my Tiki!"

They didn't get any shots of the sideshow artwork in the hallway, which is
neither here nor there, but I feel like it ties things together in some weird-o
way (no one has ever accused me of having normal taste.)

I'll try and dig up some other photos... we were extremely pleased with how
this piece turned out (we didn't end up looking like total drooling morons,
which is kinda the goal) but they really focused on the Tiki mugs, and a lot of
ours were out of view of the cameras on a shelf we built in our kitchen. They
kinda skimmed over the monster room, but I was pleased that there are over 2000
LP's in the there as well, which no one so much as mentioned... I think that
means the monsters won!

Funny you should ask about the Mama Llama at Hala Kahiki, Sven... our dear old Llama
is actually one in the same! We happened to be in the gift shop one day when (unbeknownst
to us at the time) the bar was transitioning over to current owners Jackie and James after
their mother passed away, and the manager was willing to play "Let's Make a Deal" on the
llama... we offered them half what they had on it, and 10 minutes later we were lugging the Llama
into the back of our car.

It was one of the first major pieces of furniture in the living room of our then-new house;
good to have your priorities straight I guess.

One other one has turned up on TC since we bought ours over four years ago... Seems Elvis
had rare (if controversial) taste!

--Pete

Some really cool pieces in your place. Love it all! I could happily camp out there for a few days just looking around. It sounds like some of the stuff that didn't make the cut is well worth seeing too!

Great video - I watched it twice & wanted more! Please post more photos :)

Wow...nice collection and well displayed...your place is awesome. The video and article are great. CHEERS :drink:

"Oh waiter, another cocktail please!!!"

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2013-09-28 22:37 ]

PP

wow, very cool guys!!! a write up in the paper too, you must get mobbed by people who recognize you!!! your tiki bar/house is way way cool!!! loven the creepy Mortimer Snerd looking dummy, too cool!!!! we need more pics please!!!!!!

Great video, and a swell collection. Noticed a few similarities to ours...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=41323&forum=20&hilite=skunk%20eye%20spar

Cheers.

Thanks for the kind words, all! Glad you dig it... there are so many swell collections
and home bars amongst the TC folks, that means somethin'.

White Devil: I definitely see some crossover there; that's one heckuva damn set-up you got
there!

So... I dug out some photos that were taken for a little presentation we did
some months back for a series called "RAW Living" hosted by the Chicago Young Architects &
Designers Forum (my wife is an architect; I'm an illustrator/graphic designer, so it worked out well...)

Anywhoo... here's some photos. 'Course, you can see these were taken awhile ago, as there's a bunch of
new stuff and everything's moved around in the Reader links above. But ain't that half the fun??

Here's a few general, over-view shots of the main living space...

The biggest difference in this one, the big UA Tiki that's now next to our TV had yet
to be rescued from a local yard...

A couple more views:

The "Lounge" we've set up on the opposite side of the living room, by the fireplace
(we'd yet to pick up the bamboo end tables we purchased from TC's own Bamboolodge-
there's also one under the window in the living room now...)

A better shot of some of the mugs on the shelf next to our Witco Witch Doctor
(looked for THAT one for a long time...)

A couple shots of some of the Tiki mugs living on the shelf above our kitchen...

A close up of the very awesome Jenny Haniver from an old sideshow that
lives next to our TV (and well as the super-cool Golden Idol mug made by TC's Witch Doctor...)

A close up of a few of our "Monster" mugs...

...what better way to segue into... THE MONSTER Room...

This one's for Trader Tom...

"Throw your hands in the aaaaaiiiirr...."

The boar's head...

A shot of a few of the records in this room (there's about 2000 LPs in here...)
with the requisite sprinkling of monsters...

A couple of the Sideshow prints and vintage posters in the hallway...

And a couple OK shots of the bedroom... we were renovating the
adjacent master bathroom at the time, so it was tough to get a decent
shot without work stuff in the way

The clam shell is a real one, and it's OLD...

These Tretchikoff prints look small in this picture, but are actually
about 4 feet tall with the humongo frames.

Of course... it's always changing, but isn't everybody's place always changing??

Hope you enjoyed it!

--Pete

Thanks for the pics: we're huge fans of creatively incorporating non-tiki with tiki, and ya'll have definitely succeeded.

Pages: 1 14 replies