Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Huapia (coconut milk dessert)

Pages: 1 8 replies

Had a couple glasse’s of cab with my dinner. Remembered that I made some Huapia earlier so I had some for dessert. If you’re a coconut phreak like I am give it a try. Downside is you’ll be scrambling through your bar stuff lookin to fix a Mai Tai asap!
Here’s the recipe I used, (polynesians used Hawaiian arrowroot instead of cornstarch-good luck finding that). Looks like a white/milky jello when done.

Huapia

5 tablespoons cornstarch

1/4 cup white sugar

1/8 teaspoon salt

2 cups coconut milk

Directions
Place the cornstarch, sugar, and salt into a saucepan; stir in 1/4 of the coconut milk to make a smooth paste. Stir in the remaining coconut milk, and bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until thickened so that it coats the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. Pour into a 9x13 inch baking dish; refrigerate until cold. I add a tad toasted shredded coconut after it cools. Told you I was a phreak! Easy peazy!
Don’t know why those #’s and stuff are coming with the ingredients-just ignore them, i’m going for nudder Mai Ta.
Cheers

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-09-28 21:21 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-09-28 21:29 ]

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-09-28 21:26 ]

I bought a package mix at Ralph's but never got around to making it

Looks like McDonalds in Hawaii was doing Haupia Turnovers for a limited time :D

Thank you for posting the recipe. I use the Noh brand coconut pudding mix which I use as a hot topping on ice cream or I let it cool for pudding. Boil water and add the packet, the stuff is great if you love coconut!

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-09-29 11:11 ]

On 2013-09-29 09:27, tikilongbeach wrote:
Thank you for posting the recipe. I use the Noh brand coconut pudding mix which I use as a hot topping on ice cream or I let it cool for pudding. Boil water and add the packet, the stuff is great if you love coconut!

Lori, I do luv coconut anyway I can get it. I need to find that Noh’s so I can put some hot huapia sauce on my coconut ice cream and coconut cream pie! Mahaloz to all for the replies
Cheers,
David

On 2013-09-30 11:43, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:

On 2013-09-29 09:27, tikilongbeach wrote:

Lori, I do luv coconut anyway I can get it. I need to find that Noh’s so I can put some hot huapia sauce on my coconut ice cream and coconut cream pie! Mahaloz to all for the replies
Cheers,
David

David,
Ralph's sells it on their ethnic food aisle. It's usually less than .99 a packet. Most of the Japanese markets have a Hawaiian food section and you can usually find it there too.
When you're in Huntington Beach check out Hula Girls Shave Ice/Dough Dough's on 16552 Bolsa Chica. Not only do they have Dole Whip, but they also sell made to order malasadas, which are Hawaiian donuts without the hole. Coconut is one of the fillings you can get. At Hula Girls you can get shave ice on top of coconut macadamia nut ice cream.
Yum!

Tanks Lori! ?My daughter lives in HB and has an art gallery on Slater and Beach. Now I have even mo reasons to visit Surf City.
Cheers,
David

Hey that's crazy talk! now I am hungry.

Pages: 1 8 replies