Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What does tiki mean to you?

Pages: 1 2 3 112 replies

G
GROG posted on Thu, Oct 24, 2013 9:58 AM

Place thread here:

Now I am off to have one of those Banana Banshees and listen to some Kenny Chesney!

One of the things tiki means to me is the freedom to unmake shitiki, preferably under the liquid influence from my bar, at any time of day or night I so choose. I'm setting aside a few ammo rounds for the inevitable Kenny Chesney face mug from...well...you know.

You have to try skeet shooting these suckers from now on, WD....

"PULLLLLLLL""BLLLLAMMMMMM"

Dolphins... everybody like dolphins... right?

Taquitos......and good friends! but mostly Taquitos.

On 2013-10-25 17:45, Bongo Bungalow wrote:

sure- they're like family to me...

saw what you did there, but . . . :)

Occupational hazard, but I feel I need to point out that the Delphinidae (dolphins) and the Phoecinidae (porpoises) are actually two different families.

You are welcome.

Yes, although with Blackfish on CNN, there now is quite a debate, amongst some, about SeaWorld's Dolphins, which include Orcas.

What I like about Tiki is that when I go to Sea World San Diego, I see a photo of this:

Sure!
They taste great.
8-o

Jeff btd

D
dtel posted on Sat, Oct 26, 2013 7:57 PM

Just read every page on this thread and must say it appears form an outsider (me) tiki means many things, from the tiki purest to the partier to someone who just wants that tropical exotic look, which is a good thing considering it is amazing anything tiki is still around after all these years.

I have to be honest and say just reading a little on TC before joining I was not sure I wanted to join, almost didn't.

It is a little intimidating, what I wanted does include things that are not tiki. The reason I did join is because some/many of the things I liked are tiki and I would just take any crap or just be ignored for it.

The big reason I joined is because I thought it was the least I could do after "borrowing or going to borrow " many ideas I have seen here. Also the passion, right or wrong it's really in the long run just different opinions of how they perceive tiki.

BUT I must say I was welcomed and made to feel like part of the group even if I knew very little about real tiki.

I fall closer to the partier who wants a tropical exotic look with good drinks, just the way it is but who knows what it may grow into ?

Thanks

[ Edited by: dtel 2013-10-26 20:01 ]

[ Edited by: dtel 2013-10-26 20:15 ]

"BUT I must say I was welcomed and made to feel like part of the group even if I knew very little about real tiki."

Welcome! That's truly how I would love new visitors or members of this site to have been treated. That's cool! Everyone has their own personal aesthetic. My Tiki world is also festooned with headhunter skulls and shrunken heads. The (as yet unnamed) "buccaneer room" is also under construction. Some Tiki purests might turn their nose up as a result, but in the end it's all about how your space makes YOU feel. Whether it gets a nod from others or not doesn't carry nearly as much weight as the peace it brings you while enjoying it's amenities with your family and friends.

On 2013-10-26 19:57, dtel wrote:
I have to be honest and say just reading a little on TC before joining I was not sure I wanted to join, almost didn't.

Glad you joined. Diversity is important around here. This place can, over time, help you refine and grow your tastes and interests. You will very likely discover a bunch of new things which you may not otherwise encounter yourself. It's fun. Always feel free to if you don't like a post.

D
dtel posted on Sun, Oct 27, 2013 8:33 AM

On 2013-10-26 21:35, LostIsland wrote:
Some Tiki purests might turn their nose up as a result, but in the end it's all about how your space makes YOU feel. Whether it gets a nod from others or not doesn't carry nearly as much weight as the peace it brings you while enjoying it's amenities with your family and friends.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Considering I started the construction before I found TC and the tiki idea came later which led me to TC. With only the idea that I really wanted some bamboo and a bar and low lighting all under a roof outdoors for shade with some kind of fun decorations .

I am glad I joined and have found so many ideas I may never get around to all of them but that's just what I was looking for.

Thanks

D
dtel posted on Sun, Oct 27, 2013 8:47 AM

On 2013-10-27 06:01, AceExplorer wrote:

Glad you joined. Diversity is important around here. This place can, over time, help you refine and grow your tastes and interests. You will very likely discover a bunch of new things which you may not otherwise encounter yourself. It's fun. Always feel free to if you don't like a post.

Your right I have discovered many new things and thinking about ideas I would have never found without the people on TC and am sure I will grow into other areas.

I would never delete something but rather just ignore it, I am on another forum (audio) for almost 10 years sometimes things happen. No big deal I can take it, having 3 grown kids, 6 grandkids and married for 35 years I have seen, heard and been called worse ! :o

D
dtel posted on Sun, Oct 27, 2013 8:47 AM

Sorry double post somehow ?

But I could somewhat get this thread back on track.

With the little I know my answer about tiki would be décor with bamboo, tiki figures, low lighting, a nice bar, all somehow with the Polynesian/tropical look, but also fun and comfortable for people to enjoy.

[ Edited by: dtel 2013-10-27 08:53 ]

[ Edited by: dtel 2013-10-27 08:56 ]

True true....but here's a good place to repeat my old adage:

"IF IT SAYS TIKI ON IT, IT SHOULD HAVE (A) TIKI IN IT" meaning that before the Tiki revival, many tropical, Polynesian and Hawaiian things were just called that: "Tropical, Polynesian and Hawaiian" - why should they be called "Tiki" now?

Tiki AS A DESIGN STYLE is quite a specific thing, a fantasy, yes, a mixture of island cultures, yes,.... but all that as viewed, taken on and re-created by mainland America - a thing apart from the original culture.

D
dtel posted on Sun, Oct 27, 2013 9:53 AM

That's what makes it tough, what most people think of as tiki is only a few small parts of real tiki and a mix of many other things. You really have to do a lot of searching to get any idea of what real tiki is and it is defined somewhat differently depending on where you read, it can get confusing.

Really it is amazing tiki is still alive, TC and places like it is probably one of the big reasons.

Apparently people love the style because people tend to be drawn to that décor. When our kids, grandkids and relatives started calling what I was building a "tiki bar" they all got excited and had ideas and finding things to decorate with, good and bad.

Pages: 1 2 3 112 replies