Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

What does tiki mean to you?

Pages: 1 2 3 112 replies

K

If "Hawaiian","Hapa-Haole" or "Exotica" music would be a mood killer at a gathering, then THAT, my friends, is NOT a "tiki" event as far as I'm concerned. That's all the more I'm gonna say.

There was a band called Hog scraper at a hot Rod Hula Hop here in Ohio, Not at all
tiki more punk really, they were great!

What I'm saying is an event like Oasis has people going to it every year " so how was Oasis"
"Oh fine they had Hapa-Haole and Exotica music" "Yeah that's what they had the year before"
And the year before that, on and on.

I grew up with lots of music, but like a lot of you, most of my exposure as a youth was to rock music. when I was a pre-teen, it was the hard rock/MOR rock that was typical of KLOS and KMET (The two big LA area rock stations back in the day) and later, I moved to punk and new wave.

So, being so over-exposed to rock music...when I hear of another new "tiki" band, and it turns out to be re-formatted and re-imaged rock music with "tiki" imagery....it's just not something I am into any more, hence my bias.

With exotica and hapa haole, it is so far removed from the mainstream and from what has historically (since the 70s) been considered "cool", that for me it ends up being TOTALLY cool!

The very fact that Hapa haole and exotica is mellow and sleepy is usually good enough for me...that's most of the charm, actually.

Lucas,

I'm not trying to rip your opinions apart. I am a big fan of your band.

It's the generalized statement that "There is NO Tiki in Hawaii" that I take issue with.

I've mentioned many other times on this forum that Hawaii's Tiki Age "starts later (by about 10 years) and ends later that the mainland version." On that, I usually disagree with Sven. And aside from the one event at Don The Beachcomber's in Huntington Beach, (full of the 30%, I guess) I wouldn't know.

best,

Phillip

Appearing soon at your next "tiki" event... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dllo85ZSUk#t=90

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 22, 2013 11:43 AM

53 posts in this thread so far and 13 are lucas vigor.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 22, 2013 11:43 AM

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-10-22 11:55 ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLRWptjllTs

don't click on it, Grog!

:)

"The very fact that Hapa haole and exotica is mellow and sleepy is usually good enough for me...that's most of the charm, actually."

I agree, at the right time.
The start of the night is not the right time though, cuz that stuff can put ya to sleep.

When I had my restaurant I would play all kinds of music, on rainy days I would play slow
Dean Martin that kind of stuff, it slowed the place down!
People ate slower, wait staff moved slower, time stood still, fine for a rainy day.
If I wanted seats and needed to get people out, I would play Van Halen Eruption it worked!
My mom used to hate it when a baby would cry in our small diner till I said watch how the seats
turn over once that kid starts crying. Ching!!

Don't get me wrong I don't like the wild frat boy "fun" I see at some events as I'm much
more low key than that, and so is my brand of tiki.
But If Yuma Sumac and Korla Pandit is all ya got, I'll take Thin Lizzy!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 22, 2013 11:58 AM

I thought you agreed that if you stayed you would put descriptions on your youtube video links. No ice cream for you!

On 2013-10-22 11:47, lucas vigor wrote:

don't click on it, Grog!

G
GROG posted on Tue, Oct 22, 2013 12:00 PM

I thought the title to the thread was "What does tiki mean to you?"

Why is this all of a sudden a discussion thread?

On 2013-10-22 11:58, GROG wrote:
I thought you agreed that if you stayed you would put descriptions on your youtube video links. No ice cream for you!

On 2013-10-22 11:47, lucas vigor wrote:

don't click on it, Grog!

'twas a joke.

On 2013-10-22 12:00, GROG wrote:
I thought the title to the thread was "What does tiki mean to you?"

Why is this all of a sudden a discussion thread?

Agreed, lets get this back on track. "What does Tiki mean to you?"

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2013-10-22 13:02 ]

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-09-01 09:54 ]

Oh brother, I'm going to Instagram...where Tiki is fun

[ Edited by: chrisandsarahb 2013-10-22 13:03 ]

TM

"We’re here to discuss classic Tiki, what made it great, how to celebrate it and preserve it today, and how to create and influence new Tiki that isn’t generic, watered down, or misguided."

S

On 2013-10-22 12:59, chrisandsarahb wrote:
Oh brother, I'm going to Instagram...where Tiki is fun

Yep. I'll join you.

And I'll join Lucas in stating that intelligent discussion is not the antithesis of fun - it is a sign of being alive, something that this board is in much need of.

I should also add that Tiki, to me, is being a member of the Cult of Ku and learning and enjoying its origin.

And celebrating its current reincarnations:

By the way, we can pictures here, too, just like Instragram.

K

You know, it's funny seeing the picture of the City Of Refuge on the Big Island of Hawaii where there are TONS of tikis. I had thought of this place earlier in connection with this thread and thought "Is the City Of Refuge "tiki"? and I immediately had a gut reaction of "Hell no...it's the REAL thing in the REAL place"..lol...kind of crazy, yet, of course,it's the INSPIRATION for it all. I think I have to ponder that some more.

On 2013-10-22 21:07, bigbrotiki wrote:
And I'll join Lucas in stating that intelligent discussion is not the antithesis of fun - it is a sign of being alive, something that this board is in much need of.

+1

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 23, 2013 12:20 AM

"Intelligent" discussion.

Hah! That's pretty funny.

With ALL the alcohol that's been imbibed by all the members of this forum, GROG not sure we have enough brain cells left collectively to label anything we do as "intelligent".

T

Good one Sven!
I think some of the time negativity is in the eye of the beholder, and if
you are looking for negativity you will find it.

But you will not find the mass of info on tiki anywhere else but Tiki Central.
Not even on My space no wait that's gone, Facebook.

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-09-01 09:55 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 23, 2013 9:27 AM

On 2013-10-23 08:15, lucas vigor wrote:

in all my 10 years on this forum, I can remember only a handful of times when I actually got mad at something someone said...

And you quit each of those times only to return a bit later. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On 2013-10-23 09:27, GROG wrote:

On 2013-10-23 08:15, lucas vigor wrote:

in all my 10 years on this forum, I can remember only a handful of times when I actually got mad at something someone said...

And you quit each of those times only to return a bit later. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are we taking bets on when Lucas will quit again?

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-09-01 09:56 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 23, 2013 10:47 AM

**Welcome to Lucas Central! **

(Ben I think this might be the last nudge needed :wink:---- I'll collect my twenty dollars from you this weekend. If he lasts another week, I'll get that twenty to you next weekend.)

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-10-23 10:48 ]

Lucas, 10.00 in it for you if you last another week!!!

p.s. I don't hate you :wink:

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 23, 2013 11:10 AM

Lucas. $10 for you if you quit this week. GROG not hate you either. :)

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-10-23 11:12 ]

Maybe Tiki Central should have a "banish Lucas from the forums" fundraiser. $1 per hour that Lucas can't log in. Anyone can contribute via PayPal and make Lucas horribly conflicted as he both supports the website he loves and is unable to log into it. :P

Grog,

Get to work, stop baiting lucas.
Lucas get to work, yer eating tax payers money.
Me, get to work, sun light wasting.

Jeff btd

I don't get it: It is now punishable if you write too many posts, as opposed to having nothing to say at all - and leaving the forum dead?

If I would have opted for the "this member is a whiner, and this guy an ignorant idiot, and..." way of thinking, I would have quit this forum years ago. It takes tolerance, patience, the ability to see things from other points of view, and most of all, dedication to the subject at hand BEYOND personal quarrels and egos to maneuver through the s#!%storms here. Kudos to anyone who still cares enough!

Well said, Sven. I've been following this discussion and have been enjoying the back and forth between Lucas and Sven. I don't see any problem with either side. Opinions are what make this forum work.

Spike
http://www.facebook.com/thehulagirls
http://www.thehulagirlsmusic.com

[ Edited by: Luckydesigns 2013-10-23 13:19 ]

I CARE DAMMIT! now what's for lunch?

Well said Sven!!

It too often seems that tolerance takes a back seat when confronted with differing viewpoints. If the internet has accomplished anything it's bringing this fact to light. It is truly disheartening to see such unnecessary animosity and drama. I've used this forum for years and have seen all matter of childish, abusive and pathetic behavior. I don't know too many folks on here personally, so I would never pretend to know someone well enough to define or label them. I also don't know what past issues and events might be fueling folks animosity. What I DO know though, is that differing opinions or viewpoints is about the worst reason to disparage someone.

I have also seen some great things on this site, and talked to some good folks. It just seems like a shame to allow pettiness to pollute the waters here at Tiki Central. We can all disagree about whatever, what difference does it make? Who cares? Homogenized thought does not enhance or increase knowledge, in fact it has quite the opposite effect. I'm much more interested in the motivation behind beliefs and opinions that I don't share. I don't want to convert anyone, but rather understand why they feel the way they do. In putting effort towards understanding others, we often find that we end up better equipped to understand ourselves as well as our relation to the world in general.

Sorry about the rant...

-Derick

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-09-01 09:58 ]

Pay up GROG!!!

Lucas is staying!!!

Lucas, I'll buy you a drink this weekend at the International Tiki MarketPlace!

Aloha!!

this site should close for maintenance for a week and require all users to participate on sports forum message boards so they can see what REAL internet vitriol and insults are like...

also, "tiki" to most people I know means a thatched roof open sided beach bar, that serves frozen daiquiris and plays reggae, steel drum, kenny chesney, or jimmy buffet music. (i.e., "hey, look at that tiki hut over there, let's get some banana banshees and then walk down to the arcade...").

-p.s., in real life, volcanoes suck.

Ba ha ha ha ha @Ben

No doubt though, it's certainly far more mild on here than many forums I've been on. I don't think I've ever really seen anybody busting into a profanity and threat laden tirade on here. It's pretty common on some sites. It's the power of Aloha man (in bad Tommy Chong voice)...

Or any political site, Porpoise, ugly,ugly people on those sites
I really don't understand why some folks here get so bent out of shape over the little stuff
but also to be fair it was more so a few years ago, not as bad today.

On 2013-10-23 20:55, LostIsland wrote:
Ba ha ha ha ha @Ben

No doubt though, it's certainly far more mild on here than many forums I've been on. I don't think I've ever really seen anybody busting into a profanity and threat laden tirade on here. It's pretty common on some sites. It's the power of Aloha man (in bad Tommy Chong voice)...

Lucas & I have......

I actually shudder that Hawaii continues to rid itself of its Tiki palaces, regardless of expert Tiki historians, the true origin of Tiki is not Hawaii, but Rapa Nui. According to Dr. Van Tilburg of the Easter Island Project, the first "tiki" were the Moai on Anakena Bay, the landing site of the tiki godfather, Hotu Motu'a, which became a sared religious site and is now called Ahu Nau Nau.

On 2013-10-23 21:13, christiki295 wrote:
I actually shudder that Hawaii continues to rid itself of its Tiki palaces, regardless of expert Tiki historians, the true origin of Tiki is not Hawaii, but Rapa Nui. According to Dr. Van Tilburg of the Easter Island Project, the first "tiki" were the Moai on Anakena Bay, the landing site of the tiki godfather, Hotu Motu'a, which became a sared religious site and is now called Ahu Nau Nau.

Christiki, Kauai just added one. Tiki Iniki is finally open!!!

T

Lucas, is it official? Have you come out of the closet to finally admit that your not a sociopath?

On 2013-10-23 21:22, RevBambooBen wrote:

Christiki, Kauai just added one. Tiki Iniki is finally open!!!

Thank God! I hope to make it back in 2014 and I have yet to get over the loss of the Tiki Palace, the Hawaiian Hut.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=19151&forum=2&start=0&hilite=ala%20moana

G
GROG posted on Wed, Oct 23, 2013 10:36 PM

Damn. Lucas you cost GROG 20 bucks, you bastard! :x

But GROG forgive you. :)

GROG buy you drink, too. :drink:

TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-09-01 09:45 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 112 replies