Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Cocktail app other than Tiki+ ???

Pages: 1 23 replies

Like many of us I have the Tiki+ app, but I'd like to get suggestions for a classic cocktail app, to fill in the gaps, so to speak. Unfortunately the flipside of Tiki+ (Cocktail+), is unavailable in the States. Thanks in advance!

What's the deal with Cocktails+?? I bought the the app several years ago when I first got Tiki+ and it is great. Hundreds of classic cocktails, multiple versions from different eras and different authors and bartenders, etc. The app had gone wonky on my phone and I deleted it intending to re-download it only to find out it is no longer available even though I have previously purchased it. I still have it on my iPad and it is still the best classic cocktails app I have used.

This sounds like an opportunity for someone out there to resurrect an old product, or to develop (and maintain!) another product. Even Tiki+ would benefit from an update given all the new research Jeff Berry has done since the original app was released. But maybe these apps don't earn the publishers enough revenue to keep them updated?

I still rely on a pretty large selection of cocktail books at home. Books can be relatively cumbersome and time-consuming when you're researching something - there is something to be said in favor of propping up an electronic device while you are trying to look stuff up while also working at your bar.

K

Hell I'd just love an Android version of Tiki+.

I use Mixology a bit. It is free and decent.

Thanks for the tip - Mixology it is, for the moment anyways.

I have a cocktail/bar inventory app that does 10x what the other apps there do. I'm looking for beta testers. It runs on Android/desktop right now with an iPhone/iPad version by the end of the year (hopefully). Contact me if you are interested.

I thought I would resurrect this thread because a friend of mine and fellow Disney fan just showed me an awesome cocktail app. It is called Highball (iTunes link). The reason I love it is because you can share drinks so easily. The app generates a QR code so if you want to share something on Facebook or Twitter or something, all someone has to do to get the full recipe is scan the code in the app. Plus, you can customize the image of the drink yourself. Here is one that my friend made from a Disney recipe:

K

Pretty neat, though that recipe is horrendous.

On 2015-09-22 12:02, kkocka wrote:
Pretty neat, though that recipe is horrendous.

Cocktails in the Disney parks are either horrendous or surprisingly great. There is no middle ground. I just thought people should know about the app. :wink:

(My comment excludes Trader Sams's of course in that I said "in" a park, not the hotels.)

Tiki+ is no longer updated, sold, or supported. It has been replaced by Total Tiki and the publisher is Doudoroff LLC. They currently sell and support at least five apps:

Beachbum Berry's Total Tiki.
PDT Cocktails.
Martin's Index of Cocktails.
Bar Ingredients.
Gaz Regan's 101 Best New Cocktails.

Subscribe to the non-tiki ones only if you want to have your mind blown by a myriad of influences from top bartenders around the world. You must also have big $$$ to build more shelves and stock them with esoteric spirits. But you'll have a blast doing it even though you'll have to sell everything you own.

Remember that each of these apps will also be retired in the future (just like Tiki+) when the world switches to newer Warp Core processors which allow mobile computing at speeds where electrons are allowed to exceed the speed of light.

All things are relative. All relatives are things. My relatives took all my things.

F

I have used the Total Tiki app since shortly after it first came out and love it but there are times its focus on tiki drinks does show limitations.
Anyone else who has it not been able to get it working the last week or two? Ever since the last update mine just crashes whenever I try to open it. Or is it just me?

Total Tiki would be a perfect app if only you could annotate and add your own recipes.

On 2015-09-24 06:30, Scaramouch wrote:
Total Tiki would be a perfect app if only you could annotate and add your own recipes.

I think that's a good idea. My workaround is to have a handful of cocktail recipes saved in my phone in the "notes" area. This, at least, allows me to keep them portable and also email or text my special recipes.

I still just have Tiki+. Is there any real reason to spend $10 more on the Tiki Total app? Does anyone have both or know what the differences are?

Besides updates to content, and updates to features and functionality, the Tiki+ app has not been working correctly on some phones.

It's kinda like reading "Grog Log," and then reading "Remixed." There is an appreciable difference.

And, hey, the Bum needs YOUR ten bucks!

On 2015-09-24 10:57, lunavideogames wrote:
I still just have Tiki+. Is there any real reason to spend $10 more on the Tiki Total app? Does anyone have both or know what the differences are?

Ditto!

I think the Total Tiki has the same content + recipes from Potions of the Carribean?

The app information doesn't specifically state that the recipes come from the Bum's books, however that's gotta be the case. My assumption is that these are a cross-compilation of several of the Bum's books. Here's the description from the iTunes store page for Total Tiki:

Beachbum Berry’s Total Tiki is the definitive reference for classic and contemporary exotic mixed drinks on your iPad or iPhone.

*This unique entertainment resource—the sequel to our five-star Beachbum Berry’s Tiki+—presents exquisite drink recipes researched and meticulously documented by the authority on Tiki cocktails and “Polynesian Pop” exotic drinks: Jeff “Beachbum” Berry. Beachbum Berry is the author of “Sippin’ Safari,” “Beachbum Berry Remixed,” “Beachbum Berry’s Taboo Table” and other books that have resurrected exotic drinks for the current day.

• Over 230 top notch drink recipes including authoritative recipes for the Zombie, Mai Tai, Painkiller, Scorpion and scores of less-known, brilliant refreshments—no bad drinks here!
  • Over 200 inspiring vintage and contemporary drink photos!
  • NEW! More than seventy new recipes added since Tiki+
  • NEW! Check off the ingredients you’ve got, and Total Tiki will show you what you can make!
  • NEW! Filter the recipes on multiple criteria with just a few taps
  • Track favorite and flagged recipes
  • Ingredient definitions included
  • Universal app, works nearly identically on both platforms
  • Dazzle your friends at your next party *

So here are three reasons you may want the app:

1. The recipes are so dang portable, in your phone. If you're at a friend's house, or at a bar, you can pull up the correct recipe on the spot and go from there.
  2. The cost is only $10. Most of us spend many times more than that on cocktail books, bar tabs, hangover remedies, and coffee during the year.
  3. The quality of the material is superb.

So there you have it - portability and low cost and quality. It's a pretty good and hard-to-resist deal.

Bum: You can send my commission check to......

K

If the developers would ever learn how to code/program for Android, then they'd make twice as many sales!

On 2015-09-24 15:38, kkocka wrote:
If the developers would ever learn how to code/program for Android, then they'd make twice as many sales!

Is there anything specific about the Android platform which makes that less likely? Or with the Apple platform which makes it more profitable or favorable?

Since the app publisher makes at least five different apps, I think you're right that they're missing out on sales. I really wonder why that is.

• NEW! Filter the recipes on multiple criteria with just a few taps

So glad I read this! At first I was like what exactly does that mean? So I explored a little and realized this is a feature I'd somehow overlooked all this time which is the thing I had previously been cursing them for not having! Yeah, you can add all the ingredients you have in your bar and it shows you all the drinks you can make but if you use the search bar and enter more than one ingredient, it will show no results. Like say I want something with lime, falernum and cinnamon syrup so I search those specific words in the main search field, it doesn't show me results for any drinks I can make. I didn't realize til right freakin now that there's a filter tab that lets you select the specific ingredients and then it'll show me I can make a jet pilot. So weird I never noticed that stupid little button. Seems they should have simplified the process by allowing more versatility in the main search button.

Now the only thing I wish they had was a rating system so we can check off what we've tried and notate what we think of it along with notes in case we make substitutions or improvements.

All in all, I think Total Tiki is a fine app and well worth the $10 if you don't already have tiki+, and the new features are probably worth your 10 bucks if you have the old version.

P

So I got the Total Tiki app on iPhone and I've been referencing it constantly. It has helped me round out the rum collection a little more, because it suggests ingredients to help you make more of the cocktails.

It DOES have the function to make notes about drinks and to create unique lists to add drinks to. So far, I've only created a "Drinks I've Made" list, to keep track of the ones I've tried.

I wish there was a way to rate the drinks, so that drinks could be sorted by user ratings, the way Grogalizer does.

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Jun 30, 2018 6:19 PM

Looks like the topic’s original question was about a classic cocktail app to supplement Beachbum Berry’s tiki apps. Classic cocktails were my gateway to tiki, so I’ve tried several different apps over the years, but I keep coming back to a few free websites instead.

Mr. Boston has digitized its classic bartending guide, and I find it very useful. One interesting feature is the ability to see how a recipe has changed over the years:

https://mrbostondrinks.com

Robert Hess’ interest in cocktails, both classic recipes and ones inspired by classics, makes his Drink Boy site another great resource, and there’s a separate mobile version that works well on smartphones:

http://www.drinkboy.com
http://www.drinkboy.com/mobile/

S
Swanky posted on Sun, Jul 1, 2018 7:36 AM

As an FYI, the Grogalizer is now smart phone friendly and still free. Works on all devices.

Pages: 1 23 replies