Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Home decor that isn't tiki in itself but the front of the house when its finished will have tiki

Pages: 1 17 replies

I recently had a print of Gidget goes Hawaiian framed and thought I'd share it. It now lives next to our jukebox stocked with 1950s and 1960s 45s including Felix Mendelssohn and his Hawaiian Serenaders "Little grass shack" probably recorded in the 1940s.

I've also been redecorating the front of the house and when its finished I'll share some pics. Here's the first.

[ Edited by: Thurston Howell IV 2013-11-02 01:41 ]

Where is the tiki decor?

Sorry it isn't tiki enough for you Lake Surfer. There's a tiki head on the wall and a couple of tiki designs on the window sill decoration. Anyway here's the rest of the pics now its finished. Less is more so they say.

You originally posted a picture of a Gidget poster and a jukebox. Not tiki at all.

http://www.tikicentral.com/about.php

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2013-11-01 23:33 ]

To be fair, Dave, T.H. IV did not entitle his post "Tiki Home Decor" - just "Home Decor" - and as that, it all goes OK with Tiki style (even if it is not that in itself).

What Dave was wondering was is WHY open a thread on its own with things that by themselves are not Tiki style. All this might seem like anal semantics and dogmatism, but there is legitimate cause to be worried about the watering down and muddling of a genre.

When someone new comes to this site, which is called "Tiki CENTRAL", and opens your thread, they could assume your photos as representing "Tiki Style". Many here will say "So what if they do, who cares?" and "It's all supposed to be fun", but the fact that there are people here who do care is what makes this Tiki Central, and not some other generic home decor site.

On 2013-11-01 23:38, bigbrotiki wrote:
To be fair, Dave, T.H. IV did not entitle his post "Tiki Home Decor" - just "Home Decor" - and as that, it all goes OK with Tiki style (even if it is not that in itself).

What Dave was wondering was is WHY open a thread on its own with things that by themselves are not Tiki style. All this might seem like anal semantics and dogmatism, but there is legitimate cause to be worried about the watering down and muddling of a genre.

When someone new comes to this site, which is called "Tiki CENTRAL", and opens your thread, they could assume your photos as representing "Tiki Style". Many here will say "So what if they do, who cares?" and "It's all supposed to be fun", but the fact that there are people here who do care is what makes this Tiki Central, and not some other generic home decor site.

By the great God Ku you're right! I've amended the title of my post so as not to confuse the unwary. Whew that was a close one.

Hahaha, good one! It's great to see someone with a good sense of humor here, thank you for a good laugh :D

You have a really good look going! I would love to have a home where I could bring out that mid-century feel.

A great Tiki facade, with the mdi-century Tiki, tropical Ti leaf plants and Tapa print.

LOVE that window sill, and the bamboo window screen!!

I love the look...NICE JOB!!!

I have other rooms in my home that are not Tiki, but wanted to share the decor so I posted in Beyond Tiki. Sacrilege but someones gotta do it!!!

T

Very clean, mid-century vibe, great color choices. Well done!

Now get that twelve foot Tiki out in front so everyone will shut up...
with a water feature preferably...
...and some fire.

On 2013-11-04 08:40, tigertail wrote:
Very clean, mid-century vibe, great color choices. Well done!

Now get that twelve foot Tiki out in front so everyone will shut up...
with a water feature preferably...
...and some fire.

Now you're talking! I'll have a few Moai shipped over from Easter Island to line the driveway just for good measure. Thanks for the nice comments.

On 2013-11-04 22:08, Thurston Howell IV wrote:
Now you're talking! I'll have a few Moai shipped over from Easter Island to line the driveway just for good measure. Thanks for the nice comments.

Didn't someone else here also have that done to their driveway recently? I hear the trick is to bury the bases deep enough in the ground otherwise they fall over and you have to run out in the middle of the night and push 'em back up again. That can be a pain... :)

Painting the bricks in a tapa print was pretty clever--gives me some ideas for my own brick patio. Thanks for the inspiration! The house looks great!

On 2013-11-05 10:34, SoCalTikiGal wrote:
Painting the bricks in a tapa print was pretty clever--gives me some ideas for my own brick patio. Thanks for the inspiration! The house looks great!

Thanks, here's some more pics of the back of the house, same idea, different tapa design inspired by art on a Don Tiki CD cover. The back of the house is now the home of the Pu'uhonua Bar.

More tikis than you can poke a stick at.

[ Edited by: Thurston Howell IV 2013-11-06 15:19 ]

S

Regardless of how many tikis your place does or does not have it looks great and thanks for sharing!

S

looks GREAT ! some cool ideas.

Pages: 1 17 replies