Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

John’s Old Time Radio Show w/ R. Crumb “Great Hawaiian Records” of the 1920′s & 30′s

Pages: 1 10 replies

L

Cool link, thanks!

Definitely Hawaiian music for purist. They don't even like electrified steel guitars. But great music, show and link.

T

Crumb was a fan of traditional folk, and always was a bit of a purist. And an eccentric. If you've never seen the documentary "Crumb," it's a strange way to spend a couple hours.

And R. Crumb recorded some traditional blues from the 1920's-30's with his musical combo, the Cheap Suit Serenaders. Sadly, their versatile guitarist, Bob Brozman, passed away last April.

..and he now is active for this fine French combo:

K

It's funny how different people like different things in Hawaiian music. these guys start out saying Hawaiian music went downhill after the 1930s, yet, in Hawaii itself, the 1950s is ALWAYS heralded as "The Golden Age" of Hawaiian music.

TM

The 50's and later are my favorite era...when recording technology caught up with the talent.

G

My favorite is Nelstone's Hawaiians :wink:

DR

There're parts of all recorded Hawaiian music I resonate to, from earliest to modern-day. That said, I find the "feel" of older/more traditional Hawaiian music "best" for me. This has zero to do with extant recording technology contemporary to the music one's listening to IMHO. For as many folks who celebrate digital technology & file-sharing, there're others who're comfortable with acetates, 33 1/3's, or [Pele forbid...] "Actual Live Performance"... Plus I was a fan of R Crumb's work decades ago, still admire it...

[ Edited by: Dakota Red 2013-11-04 19:18 ]

TM

I never said I prefered digital, modern recordings. In fact, I don't. Just not into that tinny, scratchy sound from the 20s and 30s. it has it's place, of course, and can be quaint and charming....but it's not my preference.

I have a very extensive vinyl collection, BTW.

Pages: 1 10 replies