Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

If you could travel back in time...

Pages: 1 2 56 replies

If you could travel back in time and visit the original Don The Beachcomber or Trader Vic's, which would you choose and why?

Bonus round: What would you order?

J

Neither. To be honest I think most here would be disappointed with the tame (by current standards) pre-Tiki decor. It would be interesting however to sample the Don's drinks and see how they compare to modern day craft cocktail mixology.

If I had a time machine I would rather visit a place that had full tilt Tiki-style loopiness like the Kahiki. :)

BZZZZT! Wrong answer, thank you for playing!

:wink:

J

Check this thread out, it's pretty fun...

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24270&forum=1

I would definitely go to Don's. I am a fan of Donn and he is the father of the Tiki bar. Like John-O pointed out, Donn had little or no Tiki decor back in his day as far as the Pre-Tiki decor is concerned. I would not care about that. It would have been something to walk in that Hollywood DTBC and have Ray Buhen as your bartender. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D.

J

I don't think Ray ever got out of the back room at the Hollywood Don's, did he ??

I had the pleasure of having him mix me drinks in the late 80's / early 90's at Tiki Ti but at the time I had no idea of what his historical significance was. (Or even what Tiki-style was for that matter).

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2013-11-11 20:27 ]

I will play, First off instead of Don's it would be called the Atomic Tiki Lounge
and a couple of you would not have been born (you know who you are)

Cars would still have fins & it would be against the law to tear down any Googie Architecture
and don't even think of sending back a Terminator to stop me, because I will be ready!

Oh & kiss Disco & Rap music goodbye because they will not have ever existed
also I would prevent Del Taco from ever buying out Naugles!

That's right Time Travel is a bitch!

J

Never mind... :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2013-11-11 20:52 ]

I hope you all enjoy this new timeline!

I think John-O came across a Temporal paradox....

Another's promising thread brought to a screeching halt by ATP.

THANKS! You add so much to this site!

let’s continue, I took my girl (now my wife) to Don’s(McCadden Pl.) for dinner after her High school prom in my best friend Lawrence's 1968 Corvette Stingray. If I could go back in time I would have also gone to Trader Vic’s at the B H hotel. I also would have swiped mugs and menu’s from both.
cool thread!

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-11-12 01:52 ]

S

On 2013-11-12 00:43, SuperEight wrote:

The under achievers are always the jealous ones, do you have no humor sir!
and I say Good Day! I said Good Day Sir!

On 2013-11-12 02:44, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

The under achievers are always the jealous ones, do you have no humor sir!
and I say Good Day! I said Good Day Sir!

Oh I have a great sense of humor. But I'm weird you see. I only laugh at things that are funny.

I've said it before...ATP, you lack the comedy gene. It's just not your strength pal. Move on to something you can be good at.

J

On 2013-11-12 01:34, swizzle wrote:

Actually to be fair Robbie, a simple search would have never uncovered the thread I posted above. I remembered it based on that super cool list the Bigbro provided, the Makai bar especially catching my eye. I had to do several searches to relocate it, keying on "Mar Vista" for any thread that Sven had commented on.

I welcome any DISCUSSION on Tiki history, I just fear the focus of this thread is too narrowly defined to have an on-going thoughtful dialog for very long.

Edited to reference said thread... http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24270&forum=1

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2013-11-12 06:54 ]

I'll answer my own question.

Trader Vic's would likely be more of a visual experience. He apparently did a better job initially of filling the bar with items from his travels, and although it may not have had tikis, I think a lot more than the presence of a tiki denotes a "tiki bar." Vic was a venerate story teller and I'm sure sitting at the bar and hearing him spin a tale would be well worth the price of admission.

But from a historical standpoint, Don the Beachcomber is where I'd go. Donn was truly the grandfather of poly pop (the don, if you will), and being able to see its roots seems incomparable to me. You'd also be bumping elbows with some of the the Hollywood greats. The bar certainly wasn't lax in its decor—the stories claim that Vic wanted to franchise DTB and ended up buying some decorations from Donn to open TV. If you're a stickler for tiki the original bar did apparently have Donn's beloved cannibal tikis on display. I'd order a Zombie, of course.

I can easily imagine a meeting with Vic, since his persona oozes out of everything he's written (which is a lot), but Donn is more of an enigma, and I'd like to meet the man and see what he was like in person. I'd also buy a box of swizzle sticks off the guy so I could retire in luxury in the present day! :wink:

Thanks, JOHN-O, for pointing out the original thread. I missed it myself, although I asked almost the same question word for word down to the title! Although sometimes I lament the "this has already been covered" posts, as years pass and more information comes to light. There's also new faces and new perspectives on things. I don't mind going back and reading old posts, but if nothing new can be added than why not turn Tiki Central into a static archive and close the forums?

I don't mind ATPs sense of humor, but I do feel that the forum of late seems more about witty banter than actual information. When Sven's book first came out everyone was excited and everything was new. Tiki was cool. Now it seems like the old people are hanging around because they're comfortable with the scene, but no one is adding much. New users are often sent away with a "search the forums, this has been discussed," which, in real life, would be just as off putting as it can be here. If Tiki 2.0 is going to continue to be relevant it needs to be welcoming of new members, and that's going to mean answering the same questions over and over. Be a mentor!

Sorry, I go off on monologues sometimes. I'm like a boring Bond villain; all I need is a base in a volcano in to call home.

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2013-11-12 13:03 ]

Very true in most of what you say TikiTacky, but the very nature of your question/thread
and others like it (What is your favorite Tiki this or that?) is a whimsical one
and I have started many such threads myself, but is just not as conducive to an academic
subject thread, after all you never realistically address the mode of Time Travel
etc. so I have fun with these kinds of posts myself.

My perception is Tiki Central has done an amazing job of cataloging & bringing to light
so much of this subject & history and that it has for the most part been covered now
and there is just not that much more new content that hasn't been talked about here.

after all the Don's vs Trader Vics question is a well covered
subject since this site's early day's.

But with an influx of new people these questions will always be asked over & over
so it is the job of those of us who have been here for a number of years, to pass on & educate
this accumulated knowledge (And stay true to the actual history & subject) which tends to
get diluted with each new generation that follows us.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-11-12 16:29 ]

A

Tough decision - Dons in 1934 for a Zombie or Vics in 1944 for a mai tai?

The drinks are probably what I like the most, although if I was able to I'd go anywhere, it'd be less about the drinks. Somewhere that was packed out & tiki'ed up for a full on Chinese banquet straight out of an old 60s/70s photo.

The 'dining' element is something that I think is probably missing from modern tki bars, I'd have a corner booth & just people watch ~ I'd be happy with a coke!

Next December I'll be in Florida, Im hoping for a full on dining & stage experience at the Mai Kai :)

TM

On 2013-11-11 20:42, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I would prevent Del Taco from ever buying out Naugles!

Big plus 100000 on that!

TM

Wow, super 8. I think that is really harsh. And people say that I am the most negative, evil and sociopathic person here....

I went back and looked at some of your posts...like the "kinder and gentler tiki central" thread....seems like you have had it in for ATP for a while...

Have you ever met the man in person? Or as others do to me, are you judging him by his posts?

ATP is a VERY cool, nice person......

and are you really asking if he adds anything to this site? Hmmmmm.....does anyone except Phillip Roberts, Sven, John-o, White devil and a few others? Everyone adds something in their own way. ATP adds something by supporting the local tiki community by going to band's gigs, events, etc.....he goes WAY more then a lot of people on the forum. And by going, he is supporting those artists and vendors....

I wish people would lay off these personal attacks....I have been a victim of it, and it is a nasty business if you ask me.

If you don't like someone's post.....fark it!....just move on. No one is forcing you to respond. It pisses me off to see people get dumped on just for having an opinion....if anything, THAT is what is making people leave this site.

Thank you Lucas for the kind words
but SuperEight is certainly entitled to his opinion
as you & I have been critical & opinionated ourselves on TC
it does put a target on our backs for those who have issue
with other viewpoints then their own, I do have to question
why some people become so consumed with what you or I
think or say & still feel a need to belittle us for it.

But we are more then that, aren't we
and if Buzzy & I can sit together and share a laugh
have a serious conversation, treat each other as we ourselves expect to be treated by others
This, just a couple of weeks ago (Remember our big blowup in 2009?)

We can all disagree with something said or others opinions, but do we have to be so small minded to vilify
someone for some words read on the Internet.

I hope not....Sorry TikiTacky for going off subject.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-11-12 16:59 ]

On 2013-11-12 13:49, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
My perception is Tiki Central has done an amazing job of cataloging & bringing to light
so much of this subject & history and that it has for the most part been covered now
and there is just not that much more new content that hasn't been talked about here.

I'll have to disagree with you there. For example, the other day I asked about the best way to try and repair a hairline crack in a tiki mug. There's been no consensus in the past, and the only response I got is from someone who said he doesn't even bother. I was surprised there wasn't more interest. Is there really no one out there who's ever tried to figure out the best way to handle a cracked mug short of giving up on it?

There's absolutely new stuff out there. New old stuff. A while back I posted about a new Trader Vic's drink menu I bought that even the venerable bigbrotiki hadn't seen before. AdOrAdam has posted some interesting bits he's dug up (one of my new favorite members with his enthusiasm!), and there's a great thread on here with a score of archival material from DTB that someone bought at an auction that's got new photos and articles. There's plenty of new stuff out there! And I'm not even including the new new stuff that people are creating.

I realize it looks like I'm asking odd questions. I definitely am! I've made it no secret that I'm working on a book about tiki mugs, and I'm researching the hell out of it. That includes questioning accepted wisdom, tracking down dates and locations, correcting misinformation, and just finding out what people are interested in. I'm trying to get a bit of a pulse of the tiki movement. Frankly, I'm not sure it isn't on life support. Don't even get me started on the tragic abandonment of the websites that people use to feed this hobby.

People got upset because I asked what their favorite tiki bars were. Sheesh! I was hoping to do some interviews with people who'd gone above and beyond for their tiki bars with some amazing creativity and resourcefulness, but instead people got huffy because, God forbid, I asked if people had favorites. Now people are upset because I'm asking them about their interest in the two founding fathers of the poly pop movement, and people are cranky because I didn't include that Chinese joint they went to on Punxsutawney as kids. The next thing I know, people are calling each other names.

All y'all need to have a few more Mai Tais.

Blame FB for the no responses to yer mug question.

I'm always willing to blame Facebook!

Well you keep asking your questions & that was me who replied on the broken mug thread.... :)
but whom is getting mad?

TM

On 2013-11-12 16:58, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:

as you & I have been critical & opinionated ourselves on TC
it does put a target on our backs for those who have issue
with other viewpoints then their own, I do have to question
why some people become so consumed with what you or I
think or say & still feel a need to belittle us for it.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-11-12 16:59 ]

Being critical and opinionated is FAR different then making personal attacks. For example, I have always said I hated the beatles...but never called anyone on this forum an idiot for LIKING the beatles. That's the difference. You keep having your opinions, ATP, and never let anyone tell you different! :)

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2013-11-13 06:10 ]

I concur Lucas.....

A
Axle posted on Wed, Nov 13, 2013 4:41 PM

The Royal Hawaiian in Laguna Beach, bought it before the yuppies got it then soon after, ruined it.

I think the answer to this question is obvious. Travel back to Trader Vic's to drink as many original Mai Tais and as much 17 year old Wray and Nephew as possible. Then buy several cases (or pallets!) of the stuff and bury it so that back in the present I can dig up my own lifetime supply!

:)

"If you keep on drinking rum, the world will soon be quit of a very dirty scoundrel."
Robert Louis Stevenson

[ Edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2013-11-13 19:36 ]

[ Edited by: Sunny&Rummy 2013-11-14 04:36 ]

TM

Since the last time I was there, I was 12 years old....let's say go back and re-visit the tahitian terrace in disneyland!

On 2013-11-12 20:14, TikiTacky wrote:
...the other day I asked about the best way to try and repair a hairline crack in a tiki mug. There's been no consensus in the past, and the only response I got is from someone who said he doesn't even bother. I was surprised there wasn't more interest. Is there really no one out there who's ever tried to figure out the best way to handle a cracked mug short of giving up on it?

I'm not subscribed to all of the sub-topics on Tiki Central, so I probably missed that post. I did a very successful repair 6 months ago when I dropped a mug during a move to a new home, would like to share my notes with you. Will PM you later today when I get more time.

Facebook is a scary time-killer for me, and I don't have enough free time, so I tend to avoid it although I do have a pretty fleshed-out profile under my real name. I will have to give the tiki forums there a try sometime, but somehow I suspect it's just not as efficient as TC and offers too many side-distractions and crap.

Great photo with the Husky in a fez, by the way! Very nicely done with the Trader Vic's glass, etc.!

Original Don's!!!

H

On 2013-11-14 06:12, AceExplorer wrote:

On 2013-11-12 20:14, TikiTacky wrote:
...the other day I asked about the best way to try and repair a hairline crack in a tiki mug. There's been no consensus in the past, and the only response I got is from someone who said he doesn't even bother. I was surprised there wasn't more interest. Is there really no one out there who's ever tried to figure out the best way to handle a cracked mug short of giving up on it?

I'm not subscribed to all of the sub-topics on Tiki Central, so I probably missed that post. I did a very successful repair 6 months ago when I dropped a mug during a move to a new home, would like to share my notes with you. Will PM you later today when I get more time.

Better yet, post your notes in the Tiki Mug Repair thread!

On 2013-11-11 19:40, TikiTacky wrote:
If you could travel back in time and visit the original Don The Beachcomber or Trader Vic's, which would you choose and why?

Original Don's. Convince him that the amazing variety of tequilas from Mexico would lend well to creating a full menu of potent, exciting cocktails. And the cuisine---tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and so on---incredibly exotic yet exciting to American tastes. Open in SoCal and make a big new restaurant in Texas. Expand outward from the American Southwest. By the time Vic Bergeron gets wind of it he'll double down on his Senor Pico's in order to compete.

When we get back we'll log on to tacocentral.com to read about the history of Don the Desertdrifter and Senor Vic, and also find arguments about how "palm trees (in and of themselves) are not taco, but can lend to the experience if done right." Conventions will be held to save the out-of-fashion Chi-Chi's chain before the coming of the great Taco Revival. And everyone will be comparing the size of their sombrero collections. Ole!

Don't think it's possible? See Casa Bonita, as recently pointed out by lucas vigor.

[ Edited by: mike and marie 2017-03-22 15:51 ]

Wow, I practically fell off my chair laughing! Well done, senor!

As for Casa Bonita, I was in Denver on business about 5 years ago and made the drive to Casa Bonita. It's truly an amazing place, a must-see if you're in Denver. The food was not bad, so-so, kinda what you'd expect from a place like this. But the atmosphere was incredible. I took a lot of photos.

Thanks for the laugh, the link, and the trip down memory lane!

I would go back in time to being a kid at Disneyland...it was so awesome and all the pretend was real...the submarine, the jungle ride, the cars, the Tiki Tiki room, the GE theater and the promise of hoover craft in the future (still waiting for that). JMHO

P

It would be cool to go back to Disneyland at a time when all the rides were not advertisements for Disney movies and you could get on the more popular rides without waiting 2 or more hours in line.

But before I wold do that, I would go back to P.O.P. during its heyday. The Mytery Tiki Island, Flying Dutchman, Diving Bells, Flight to Mars and one of the best Fun Houses ever!

The again, I might decide to go back to post war 52nd street NYC to hear Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Billie Holiday and all of those other brilliant jazz musicians that played there, or even to Hermosa Beach when the Lighthouse hosted many of the same players.

I guess it depends on how many times I got to go back. If it was only once, it would be a hard choice. I doubt Disneyland would make the cut.

PiPhiRho in the 1960s it was first "Rocket to the Moon" then "Flight to the Moon" before heading to Mars (1975)
and we had those old Ticket books (E-Ticket Please) & Disneyland still had long lines, but I do miss
Monsanto's "Adventure Thru Inner Space" and the "Submarine Voyage, 20,000 Leagues" rides
As a young lad in 1966 my parents did drag me to see Louis Armstrong play at Disneyland.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2013-11-20 22:32 ]

On 2013-11-20 19:26, PiPhiRho wrote:
The again, I might decide to go back to post war 52nd street NYC to hear Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, Billie Holiday and all of those other brilliant jazz musicians that played there, or even to Hermosa Beach when the Lighthouse hosted many of the same players.

Strange thing about the Lighthouse in Hermosa Beach was that it has no minimum age limit for admittance and I went there as a young'un in the 1970's with a group of people and saw Yusef Lateef. At the time I did not appreciate this but I would like to go back in time to see it because I would appreciate it now. But what would happen if I saw my young self and hollered at it for not appreciating the moment? All these paradoxes make my head spin.

[->>King Bushwich 33rd on Hulu.com

On 2013-11-20 22:31, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
...I do miss Monsanto's "Adventure Thru Inner Space" and...

ATP, here is one instance where a classic experience has been fully re-created in a computer-generated ride-through simulation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA3uFkF1A9o

This true to how I remember the ride and is accompanied by the original soundtrack with the great Paul Frees narrating. It's awesome! It would be great if walk-through animations of this sort were produced for some of the lost tiki palaces.

TM

On 2013-11-21 05:17, AceExplorer wrote:

On 2013-11-20 22:31, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
...I do miss Monsanto's "Adventure Thru Inner Space" and...

ATP, here is one instance where a classic experience has been fully re-created in a computer-generated ride-through simulation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA3uFkF1A9o

This true to how I remember the ride and is accompanied by the original soundtrack with the great Paul Frees narrating. It's awesome! It would be great if walk-through animations of this sort were produced for some of the lost tiki palaces.

Oh yeah! I bought the DVD of this when it first came out! The guy really did his research!

TM

[i]

Big plus 1000000000 for that! The Samoa club on 52nd street!

O

On 2013-11-20 19:26, PiPhiRho wrote:
But before I wold do that, I would go back to P.O.P. during its heyday. The Mytery Tiki Island, Flying Dutchman, Diving Bells, Flight to Mars and one of the best Fun Houses ever!

Pacific Ocean Park - What a wonderful amusement park in Santa Monica....

Don't forget the Sea Serpent Roller Coaster and the Ocean Skyway - All loved riding in a bubble!

http://theimaginaryworld.com/POP.html

I'm with the Disneylanders. 1957, my first trip at 7 yrs. old. Doesn't get much better. Also a Jimi Hendrix concert in a ex-bowling alley on Speedway Bl. in Tucson, 1967 or thereabouts.

S

One of the things I am trying to get across in my Mai-Kai History seminar is that the Mai-Kai today is like a time machine back to DtB. They took so much from Don's to make the Mai-Kai and then spent the next 50 years trying to keep as close to that tradition as possible. The Maître D's today were trained by the former head Maître D' at Don's Chicago. The seating captains, everything, are all doing what they did at Don's. The drinks are Don's recipes with a little change here and there. Many are exactly the same recipes, expect they have had to work to keep the flavor right as ingredients come and go.

The guests today are not the same and some things have changed with times. You can get in without a jacket now men.

But if you want to know what it was like to visit Don the Beachcomber's, just go to the Mai-Kai and you can get at it for sure.

At the end of this year they celebrate the Head Maître D's anniversary at the Mai-Kai. Angel started in 1963 as a busboy. 50 years. He was trained by Andy Tonata from Don's. He trained everyone there today. The legacy continues.

That's really great news, Swanky. It's good to know that things can generally still be done the "old way" and (hopefully) be successful. I'm hoping I'll be able to get down to the Mai Kai one of these days. Maybe in my retirement. :wink:

On 2013-11-14 06:12, AceExplorer wrote:
I did a very successful repair 6 months ago when I dropped a mug during a move to a new home, would like to share my notes with you. Will PM you later today when I get more time.

Facebook is a scary time-killer for me, and I don't have enough free time, so I tend to avoid it although I do have a pretty fleshed-out profile under my real name. I will have to give the tiki forums there a try sometime, but somehow I suspect it's just not as efficient as TC and offers too many side-distractions and crap.

Great photo with the Husky in a fez, by the way! Very nicely done with the Trader Vic's glass, etc.!

Yes, I'd love to know what you did and whether it's held up. There isn't a lot of discussion of this online (even outside of TC), but what there is a lot of is disagreement in terms of what works and what doesn't. Some say Elmers glue, others say superglue, others use epoxy. A cracked mug is very different to repair than a broken mug! I went with the superglue method myself and I guess time will tell whether it was sufficient. I've marked it with a pencil so I can not whether the crack has spread.

I don't do Facebook at all. I have way too many concerns regarding their policies on privacy, and frankly I just can't see the benefit. I know a lot of people use it to stay in touch, but I'm already in touch with the people I want to be in touch with. :wink:

Thanks for the kind words. I don't get into Photoshop as much as I used to since I'm not a designer by trade any more. I was actually the technical editor for the Photoshop CS6 Missing Manual book, which was a huge amount of work but a lot of fun. I really love when I get an opportunity to work in it, and I still look for opportunities to play around.

Pages: 1 2 56 replies