Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

If you could travel back in time...

Pages: 1 2 56 replies

On 2013-11-20 16:43, mike and marie wrote:
Original Don's. Convince him that the amazing variety of tequilas from Mexico would lend well to creating a full menu of potent, exciting cocktails. And the cuisine---tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and so on---incredibly exotic yet exciting to American tastes. Open in SoCal and make a big new restaurant in Texas. Expand outward from the American Southwest. By the time Vic Bergeron gets wind of it he'll double down on his Senor Pico's in order to compete.

When we get back we'll log on to tacocentral.com to read about the history of Don the Desertdrifter and Senor Vic, and also find arguments about how "palm trees (in and of themselves) are not taco, but can lend to the experience if done right." Conventions will be held to save the out-of-fashion Chi-Chi's chain before the coming of the great Taco Revival. And everyone will be comparing the size of their sombrero collections. Ole!

Don't think it's possible? See Casa Bonita, as recently pointed out by lucas vigor.

I realize you're being flippant, but I felt like pointing out that the reason tiki took off the way it did was because it came at just the right time. BOT spells out how so many confluent things had to converge for tiki to thrive. I'd be curious to see some discussion of what it was that seems to have allowed tiki to have a resurgence the way that it did.

On 2013-11-21 11:20, Swanky wrote:
The guests today are not the same and some things have changed with times. You can get in without a jacket now men.

This is, in our opinion, very regrettable---and also why we think tiki's heyday will remain with those times.

But if you want to know what it was like to visit Don the Beachcomber's, just go to the Mai-Kai and you can get at it for sure.

You've got a very interesting point with the Mai-Kai/Don's connection. Come to think of it, the photos and paintings we know of early DtB do remind us of the Mai-Kai.

At the end of this year they celebrate the Head MaƮtre D's anniversary at the Mai-Kai. Angel started in 1963 as a busboy. 50 years. He was trained by Andy Tonata from Don's. He trained everyone there today. The legacy continues.

What about Patrick, is he still there? He's great, and it seemed to us that he'd been around a while, too...

On 2013-11-21 12:07, TikiTacky wrote:
I'd be curious to see some discussion of what it was that seems to have allowed tiki to have a resurgence the way that it did.

We can say what did it for us: simply seeing these fantastic places, just barely out of reach, and evident of a better, maybe even greater, time. To step into a place 40, 50, 60 years old and find it with more feeling, care, and imagination than anything made new today. Maybe a lot of people felt the same way at about the same time, and so the resurgence. There certainly has been a great resurgence or reinterest in all things retro or vintage, at least among some.

What about Patrick, is he still there? He's great, and it seemed to us that he'd been around a while, too...

Patrick is still there, warm and welcoming as ever.

PP

On 2013-11-11 20:42, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
I will play, First off instead of Don's it would be called the Atomic Tiki Lounge
and a couple of you would not have been born (you know who you are)

Cars would still have fins & it would be against the law to tear down any Googie Architecture
and don't even think of sending back a Terminator to stop me, because I will be ready!

Oh & kiss Disco & Rap music goodbye because they will not have ever existed
also I would prevent Del Taco from ever buying out Naugles!

That's right Time Travel is a bitch!

LOL Naugles, there's a name I have not heard in a long long time!!! amen, Naugles was the best hang out!!!! you rock Atomic!!!

At the last Tiki Marketplace a young man was wearing a Naugles T-Shirt
I mentioned to him that I really miss the place, he told me he was with the company that just got
the rights to the name & it took awhile due to some legal dealings, they now plan to open a new
chain of Naugles in SoCal & will use the same recipes as the original

I will rejoice when this comes to fruition! & plan to chow down on a Macho Queso Burrito & a Taco Cup
on opening day! Hail Naugles!

On 2013-11-11 20:42, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
kiss Disco & Rap music goodbye because they will not have ever existed

you realize that this would completely alter the sound and possibly even the concept of punk rock; as disco and rap had a huge influence in the late 70s early 80s in the ny punk scene.

It's great to hear that Naugles is making a comeback in So Cal. They had some great food.

Now what I really need is In-N-Out here on the East Coast!

I want my own In-N-Out!

P

I'd be busy at the chevy dealership buying a sebring silver 63 split window vette... :wink:

Pages: 1 2 56 replies