Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Hawaiian Restaurant's (Mainland Locations) List

Pages: 1 16 replies

I was thinking it would be nice to have a list of all the Hawaiian Restaurant locations on the mainland. Also if you wanted to add a review or suggest an item to order or anything interesting about the location.

My favorite spot for Hawaiian grinds is Bob’s Hawaiian in Gardena, California. It has that authentic island ambiance the waitresses have aloha spirit and the food is ono. Most of the customers look as if they are in Gardena on a layover from the islands and need to get their Hawaiian food fix and know this is the best place to get it. My favorite is the beef stew, the lau lau, fun chow noodles and mac. They have live Hawaiian music (call for schedule). The prices are very reasonable. I give it 5 out of 5.

Bob’s Hawaiian
15926 Western Ave
Gardena, CA 90247
(310) 515-2250

My favorites are;

Back home in Lahaina $$ Acoustics are horrible! Large, barn like inside,very family friendly. Huapia cheesecake is killa! Menu is avail. online.
519 east Carson, Carson, Ca.
310 8354014

Bob’s Hawaiian $. Already listed by Mongoloid-Mahalo!

Bruddah’s bar and Grill $$
1430 Redondo Beach Blvd
Gardena, Ca.

Hapa J’s$$$
San Clemente, Ca.

Listed in order of my preference. They’re all good!
I have not been to Bruddah’s current locaion.
Hopefully, it’s bigger than the former location on Gardena Blvd

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-11-19 14:26 ]

My favorites are in no particular order:

HulaGirls Shave Ice/Dough Dough's Malasadas
16556 Bolsa Chica St, Huntington Beach, CA

Aloha Grill-yummy kalua pork and cheap breakfast
221 Main St, Huntington Beach, CA

Fuji's Famous Burger-no frills Hawaiian style burger joint.
15885 Gothard St, Huntington Beach, CA

The numerous Pacific Islander festivals in SoCal have great food vendors.
I'll try Bob's in Gardena some time soon.

Marukai in Gardena is a mostly Japanese grocery store with a large Hawaiian food section. They also have frozen Hawaiian food items, like Portugese sausage and Zippy's chili.
Great prices on sake and Japanese beer too!
1740 WEST ARTESIA BLVD., GARDENA, CA

If you live in a place with limited Hawaiian options you can order seasoning mixes from Noh of Hawaii. Their website is http://www.nohfoods.com. If you love coconut you will love their haupia coconut pudding/gelatin mix.

-Lori

[ Edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-11-19 15:13 ]

On 2013-11-19 15:01, tikilongbeach wrote:
My favorites are in no particular order:

HulaGirls Shave Ice/Dough Dough's Malasadas
16556 Bolsa Chica St, Huntington Beach,Ca
[/quote
Malasada’s? I’m on my way!
Mahalo Lori! Mahalo Mongoloid for starting this tasty thread.

Tiki Long Beach and Nui, mahalo for contributing, those are some good spots and a few I haven't tried yet. Ate at Aloha Grill last weekend had the mahi fish tacos and was stoked on em. Going back this weekend to try their loco moco bowl.

The location I want to Mention today is The Loft in Gardena http://www.thelofthawaii.com/ 210 W. Artesia Blvd., Torrance, CA 90504
Phone: (310) 217-1000

They might have the best bacon fried rice around. I don't think you can go wrong with anything on their menu to be honest. Torrance and Gardena seem to have alot of Hawaiian food options all pretty close together so sometimes it's hard to choose which one to go to when I'm in that area.

P

Is Harry's Aloha Chop Suey still there on Redondo Beach Blvd in Gardena? As I recall it was near Redondo and Western, in the same strip mall as the Burnt Tortilla. I haven't eaten there in years, but I remember it being pretty good. That appies to both Harry's and Burnt Tortilla.

P

There is also King's Hawaiian "The Local Place" on Western near the freeway in Torrance. It has a lot of the same food as King's Hawaiian on Sepulveda. I usually go there for the Big Island Breakfast. The Loco Moco is good, too.

I also like Ono Hawaiian Barbecue. It's a chain. I have eaten at one's in San Pedro and San Gabriel. There is also Ohana Hawaiian BBQ in Lawndale at Hawthorne and Redondo Beach Blvd, and Wiki Wiki Hawaiian BBQ in El Segundo (Sepulveda and Mariposa). These are more Hawaiian fast food style like L&L and they have the usual plate lunch/dinner stuff.

I'll vouch for the Loft in Torrance, they've got an awesome Kalua Pork!

Mongoloid,
This is turning into quite a thread! Whooda thunk?
Piphirho, I remember when the “Burnt Tortilla” opened (80’s, if my memory is any good). I thought at the time that the name was goofy and maybe they should change it. See how smart I am.
Later

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-11-21 18:14 ]

If you want some high end pricey (but ono) Hawaiian food Roy's http://www.roysrestaurant.com/locations/ is found both in Hawaii and on the mainland. They serve a type of food called fusion which means they like to mix a lot of different cultures spices, sauces and ingredients to create a unique flavor. I would say this place would be reserved for a special occasion since it's kind of on the fancy end and you might have to change out of your slippahs and even have to put shoes on.

I have been in Roy’s (Garden Walk, Anaheim) Lounge for happy houri n slippahs and shorts.
I wear a sports coat, slacks, and shoes in the dining room. The drinks are ok, the grinds are ono!
Cheers

We just came back from another visit to Chris' Ono Grinds here in San Diego.
Casual, but a sit-down restaurant with table service & a decent bottle/can beer selection (a bunch of Hawaiians, plus locals.) We've been a few times recently and everything's been delicious. They have live music on Friday & Saturday (a solo guy both times we happened to be there), and I think I overheard someone say they have ukulele lessons on Mondays!

Chris' Ono Grinds 4651 Mission Gorge Place San Diego, CA 92120
http://onogrindscafe.com/
Monday - Saturday: 11am - 9pm

We also recently tried Ice Blast Shaved Ice in Kearny Mesa. They inexplicably stuck that "ed" in their name, but it was gooood. Nice & fluffy ice, good flavors, absurdly large "small" serving.
Ice Blast Shaved Ice 4206 Convoy St, San Diego. Noon - 10PM (to 11 PM on Fri & Sat)

I whole-heartedly agree that Roy's is worth a visit, especially on special occasions. They serve a Mai Tai, but it's not the classic recipe. Decent, but it falls short of what we're used to. But still, overall, I enjoy dining there and am very fortunate there is a restaurant in my city. On my last visit to Oahu I made the pilgrimage from Waikiki and dined at the original Roy's just so that I could check it out. It was a big hit with my group of guests, even more so when I picked up the tab, ha!

Well my experience is limited on this subject, but I have to recommend this place because they serve some of the best Food in our town, the fact that it's Hawaiian is the bonus that qualifies for this thread.

Not to mention the people who run it are awesome!

Kama'aina Grindz http://kamaainagrindz.com/

2933 COLBY AVENUE, EVERETT, WA 98201

I have eaten at Roy's Newport Beach & Kaanapali & while the ingredients are high quality & fresh
the preparation is so bland & unimaginative and the prices are on the very expensive side
I can not recommend the place, I have had better food in hole in the wall, Mom & Pop dives to be honest.

Pages: 1 16 replies